Back to the Lair!  

StarPhoenix article (Schenn earns high praise from Stajan)

October 27 2008 at 7:46 AM
No score for this post
N. W. Bruin  (Login NW_Bruin_GM)

Response to Leader-Post article (Pats put together complete effort)

Schenn earns high praise from Stajan

Canwest News Service

Published: Monday, October 27, 2008

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Matt Stajan joked that he probably owed teammate Luke Schenn a dinner after the rookie came to his defence in a game against the Boston Bruins on Thursday.

Two nights later, Schenn may have earned himself breakfast and lunch.

Less than a minute into Saturday's 3-2 win against the Ottawa Senators, the 18-year-old Schenn dropped the gloves with Chris Neil after the Ottawa Senators' agitator caught Stajan with a knee-on-knee hit.

"Luke's been there for me," Stajan said after the game. "It seems like every time I get hit, he jumps in . . . it shows a lot about him that he doesn't care (who he may be fighting). He's a tough kid.

"I would return the favour if anyone was able to knock him over, but he's a pretty big boy."

The tussle with Neil was Schenn's first NHL fight. Though he may have taken a few more punches than he gave -- his nose was still cut after the game -- Schenn ended up winning even more respect from his teammates and fans.

When told that he might be accumulating his share of free meals, Schenn downplayed his role as the team's policeman.

"No, he doesn't owe me anything," Schenn said of Stajan. "That's what teammates are for."

The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2008

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on WHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This Net Ring owned by you the fans.
[Show me other Team Boards]