Back to the Lair!  

Calgary Herald article (Sexsmith WHL's zero king)

November 9 2008 at 3:02 PM
No score for this post
N. W. Bruin  (Login NW_Bruin_GM)

Response to Copied from Giants' website (TYSON SEXSMITH WHL RECORD HOLDER!)

Sexsmith WHL's zero king

Herald News Services

Published: Sunday, November 09, 2008

Tyson Sexsmith is the WHL's shutout king.

The Vancouver Giants' 5-0 win over the host Prince George Cougars on Friday marked the 22nd clean sheet of Sexsmith's junior career and gave him sole possession of top spot in that category in league history.

Bryan Bridges (Kootenay/Seattle, 2001-06) and Leland Irving (Everett, 2003-08) both ended their WHL stints with 21 shutouts.

Sexsmith hit the record in his 138th game. Bridges played 213 games, while Irving had 195.

"It's a pretty good accomplishment to get, especially coming quite a few games less than the previous record holders," Sexsmith, 19, told a B.C. newspaper. "I get credit for it, but it's definitely a team award and you have to give them most of the credit. Over the years, I've had some pretty good guys who helped me get this record."

Sexsmith made 24 saves for his second shutout this season with Vancouver (13-0-0-1).

He had nine shutouts last year and 10 in 2006-07. Both years he led the WHL in goals-against average.

He's expected to forgo his overage season next year and play somewhere in the San Jose Sharks' system.

The Calgary Herald 2008

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on WHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This Net Ring owned by you the fans.
[Show me other Team Boards]