Back to the Lair!  

Leader-Post article (Locals called to Team Canada)

November 13 2008 at 7:24 AM
No score for this post
N. W. Bruin  (Login NW_Bruin_GM)

Response to Edmonton Journal article (The Hat hangs on)

Locals called to Team Canada

Chris Jaster, The Leader-Post

Published: Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Regina Pat Canadians will be well-represented on Team West at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in December.

Goalie Derek Tendler and defencemen Tyler Kizuik were two of the 11 Saskatchewan-based players named to the team. Team West will also feature 11 players from Manitoba when it competes in Port Alberni from Dec. 29 to Jan. 4.

"I guess some things must be right with the (Pat Canadians) to have two players come from it," said Tendler, who hails from Regina. "It's great for kids that are on there. I don't know if it has something to do with coach Norm (Johnston) or if that's the way it works. But the Pat Canadians is a great program to be with."

Regina Pat Canadians goaltender Derek Tendler was named to Team West, which will compete at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in December.

Don Healy, The Leader-Post

Tendler was informed he made the team a few nights ago, but it took him a few hours to realize the magnitude of making the team. Now that he has had time to let everything sink in, he knows how much work he has ahead of him to start in net for Team West.

Standing in Tendler's way is Calvin Pickard of the Western Hockey League's Seattle Thunderbirds. Pickard backstopped Seattle to five wins in 14 appearances this season while posting a 3.03 goals-against average and a .891 save percentage.

"I might be the underdog going down there playing in midget AAA, but that makes me work harder," said Tendler, who has a 1.99 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage in 11 Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League games this season. "It's just an opportunity for me to go and show what I can do. It will be a great experience."

Although Tendler thinks he is the underdog to be the starting net minder in B.C., Team West's assistant/video coach Jamie Fiesel said not to count out 16-year-old's chances.

"I think Derek Tendler is probably good enough to be playing in the WHL," said Fiesel, who also coaches the Melville Millionaires. "Derek had an outstanding camp with (Team West) and he was by far the best goalie there. That's why he was chosen.

"In midget AAA he's getting a lot of shots, a lot of games, a lot of minutes, so sometimes you have to look at that factor."

Tendler and Kizuik are two of the eight midget AAA players on Team West. The rest of the team is also comprised of 10 WHLers -- including Regina Pats forward Dominick Favreau -- and four junior A players.

Although there is a large number of midget AAA players on the team, Fiesel said they selected players based on their skill set and not from what league they are in.

"We're looking at the makeup of the team and you can't have all the same type of player," Fiesel said. "It's not so much what league they play in but what they bring to the team as well and that's what we're looking at."

Although the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge is a month and a half away, Tendler and Fiesel can't wait for the event to start.

"I think it's just a matter of putting on a Team Canada jersey out in B.C. ... and representing my nation," Tendler said.

Other Saskatchewan players on the team include the Notre Dame Hounds' Jaden Schwartz, Carter Berg of the Chilliwack Bruins, the Saskatoon Contacts' Kendall McFaull, Prince Albert Mintos' Sean Aschim, Drew Czerwonka of the Kootenay Ice, the Saskatoon Blades' Charles Inglis, Christian Magnus of the Swift Current Broncos and Dylan Wruck of the Beardy's Blackhawks. Moose Jaw Warriors players Dylan McIlrath (Winnipeg) and Quinton Howden (Oakbank, Man.) were also named to Team West.

A few players that were not named to the roster may play in the tournament should one of the players not be able to play.

The World Under-17 Hockey Challenge will also feature four other Canadian regional teams -- Pacific, Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic -- as well as teams from Russia, Germany, Finland, Slovakia and the United States.

- - -

2008-09 WORLD UNDER-17 HOCKEY CHALLENGE

Team West Roster

No. Name Pos. HT WT Hometown Team

1 Colin Pickard G 6-0 200 Winnipeg Seattle (WHL)

2 Dylan McIlrath D 6-3 205 Winnipeg Moose Jaw (WHL)

4 Kyle Krzyzaniak D 6-1 180 Nepawa, Man. Neepawa (MJHL)

5 Peter Stoykewych D 6-2 185 Winnipeg Winnipeg South Blues (MJHL)

6 Carter Berg D 6-2 180 Saskatoon Chilliwack (WHL)

7 Dominick Favreau F 5-9 165 Martensville Regina (WHL)

8 Jaden Schwartz F 5-9 165 Wilcox Notre Dame (SJHL)

9 Tyler Kizuik D 6-1 172 Indian Head Regina (AAA)

10 Kendall McFaul D 6-3 190 Rosetown Saskatoon Contacts (AAA)

11 Nolan Zajac D 5-10 175 Winnipeg Winnipeg Thrashers (AAA)

12 Jordan DePape F 5-11 185 Winnipeg Winnipeg Saints (MJHL)

14 Mark Stone F 6-2 180 Winnipeg Brandon (WHL)

15 Matt Glowa F 5-9 170 Winnipeg Winnipeg Thrashers (AAA)

16 Christian Magnus F 5-11 165 Saskatoon Swift Current (WHL)

17 Brooks Macek F 5-11 175 Winnipeg Tri-City (WHL)

18 Quinton Howden F 6-3 180 Oakbank, Man. Moose Jaw (WHL)

19 Drew Czerwonka F 6-2 180 Glenavon Kootenay (WHL)

20 Michael St. Croix F 5-10 165 Winnipeg Brandon (WHL)

21 Sean Aschim F 5-11 168 Saskatoon Prince Albert (AAA)

22 Charles Inglis F 6-0 181 Saskatoon Saskatoon (WHL)

23 Dylan Wruck F 5-8 145 Saskatoon Beady's (AAA)

30 Derek Tendler G 6-0 210 Regina Regina (AAA)

Head Coach: Paul Krueger.

Assistant Coaches: Garth Mitchell, Blaine Stork, Jamie Fiesel.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on WHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This Net Ring owned by you the fans.
[Show me other Team Boards]