Vancouver Province article (Bruins hope good things come in threes)December 5 2008 at 7:15 AM
No score for this post
|N. W. Bruin (Login NW_Bruin_GM)|
Bruins hope good things come in threes
Today, Saturday, Sunday to arrest losses
By Marc Weber
December 5, 2008
The Devil couldn't have drawn up a more dastardly schedule for the Chilliwack Bruins this weekend.
In the midst of a five-game losing streak and still trying to sort out life without leading scorer Jadon Potter, who is out indefinitely after suffering a neck injury two weeks ago, the Bruins are faced with an ominous slate of games.
Three in three nights against three of the best teams in the WHL.
Chilliwack (9-16-2-2) hosts Saskatoon (21-7-2-0) tonight, then visits Kelowna (17-11-0-0) and Vancouver (22-2-0-3).
Charming to believe that the best bring out the best in every team, but this is likely not a cure for what ails the Bruins.
"We've got three very tough teams and we're going to have to come with a positive attitude," said defenceman Jeff Einhorn. "The points are huge and we've got to build some momentum."
The Bruins suffered through a nine-game slide in October. This time, though, there's no Potter, and head coach Jim Hiller has moved 16-year-old Kevin Sundher back into a top-line role in the hopes of generating offence.
Sundher's power-play goal in a 4-3 loss to Regina on Tuesday -- his seventh marker of the season -- snapped an 0-for-15 skid with the man advantage.
"One thing you take away from that [nine-game losing streak] is that they do turn around," said Einhorn. "But it's the way you go about it. You've got to work hard and pay more attention to the details, lessen the mistakes."
Chilliwack did take maximum points from its only other three-games-in-three-nights stint this season, but that was against softer competition in Prince Albert, Kamloops and Seattle.
© Copyright (c) The Province
- Vancouver Province article (Blades going for WHL road record) - N. W. Bruin on Dec 5, 7:16 AM
- Vancouver Sun article (Experience not on Team Canada's side at world junior event) - N. W. Bruin on Dec 5, 7:19 AM
- Edm Journal article (Inexperienced Canadian squad faces high expectations in December) - N. W. Bruin on Dec 5, 7:27 AM
- Leader-Post article (Pats will play short-handed) - N. W. Bruin on Dec 5, 7:34 AM
- Vancouver Province article (Toss a teddy for charity) - N. W. Bruin on Dec 5, 7:56 AM