Back to the Lair!  

Leader-Post article (Sbisa sidelined due to hip injury)

January 4 2010 at 6:11 AM
No score for this post
N. W. Bruin  (Login NW_Bruin_GM)

Response to StarPhoenix article (U.S. brings cruising Canucks back down to earth)

Sbisa sidelined due to hip injury

By Darren Zary, Saskatchewan News Network

January 2, 2010

Luca Sbisa, named to Switzerland's Olympic Games roster days ago, is now being listed among the walking wounded.

As a result, Switzerland heads into the playoffs at the world junior championship without its captain and top defenceman.

Sbisa, who is sidelined indefinitely with a hip flexor injury, says he won't be returning to action anytime soon.

"I can't play, otherwise I'm going to risk ripping it all the way through and I could be out for a year or so," said Sbisa.

Instead, his focus is to "regain some energy and come back stronger."

While he was listed in the lineup Wednesday against Latvia, Sbisa did not dress for Switzerland's upset win Thursday over Slovakia.

"Obviously, it was tough to watch," said Sbisa, a 6-foot-2, 204-pound defender who played eight games with the NHL's Anaheim Ducks earlier this season and got in 39 games last season with the Philadelphia Flyers.

"You want to help the team out. You can't help much, sitting in the press box and watching, but I was cheering like never before. (Thursday was) a great day for Swiss hockey."

The Swiss have guaranteed themselves a spot in the 2011 world junior tournament by reaching the quarterfinals.

"We haven't made it this far since 2002," said Sbisa. "It's just amazing. The guys came out strong. It was good to see a couple of guys stepping up, like Nino Niederreiter and (Benjamin) Conz, all those guys. It was a team effort. Everybody did their job to make the team work.

"I'm not going to go in the dressing room and try and talk too much. Every player knows how to prepare for such big games. I go in there, wish them luck. If guys want to talk to me for a little advice or something, I'm always there, but I'm not going to get too much involved. Let the coaches do their job."

As for his selection to the Swiss Olympic squad?

"Right now, I haven't really realized I have a chance to play in the Olympics," he said. "Right now, the NHL is my (career) highlight.

"In a couple of days, the nomination to the Olympic team will be right up there."

Canwest News Service

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on WHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This Net Ring owned by you the fans.
[Show me other Team Boards]