Back to the Lair!  

Edmonton Journal article (Wilson gets away with 'dumb move')

April 3 2012 at 7:21 AM
No score for this post
N. W. Bruin  (Login NW_Bruin_GM)

Response to Vancouver Province article (Giants bid fond farewell)

Wilson gets away with 'dumb move'

By Chris O'Leary, Edmonton Journal

April 3, 2012

Klarc Wilson of the Edmonton Oil Kings participates in a practice at Rexall Place last month.

Photograph by: John Lucas, Edmonton Journal , Edmonton Journal

GAME TIME

WHEAT KINGS at OIL KINGS

7 p.m., Friday

Game 1 in best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal series

Klarc Wilson may be the Edmonton Oil Kings' luckiest player.

By all accounts, the veteran forward could have had his car stolen while the Oil Kings were sweeping their Western Hockey League opening-round playoff series with the Kootenay Ice last week.

Wilson apparently left the car door unlocked and the key in the ignition in his hurry to get on the team bus for the trip to Cranbrook, B.C.

"Words can't explain how dumb it was," said Wilson, who initially thought he had lost his key Friday when the Oil Kings returned to Edmonton.

"We came back from Kootenay and I just have one single key. I was looking for it on the bus when we got back. I called my dad and told him he was going to have to come get me because I lost my key.

"The bus driver was about to leave and I went and checked. My door was open, I checked in the ignition and my key was just sitting there," he said. "It was a dumb move on my part. I was really lucky. My dad called me an idiot and said, 'You're lucky.'

"Those things always seem to happen to me, but whatever. It worked out, my car was still there."

Wilson's father, Ray, is with the Edmonton Police Service, so he knew how lucky his son was to still have a car.

Wilson said his car may have helped his cause.

"It's kind of dirty right now," he said. "It's a silver 2004 Cavalier, so I don't know why someone would want to take it. But if you saw a free car there, you never know. It's still there, so it worked out."

Now, Wilson, who celebrated his 19th birthday on Sunday, hopes to get back in the lineup after being a healthy scratch for the last two games.

The Oil Kings' second-round matchup against the Brandon Wheat Kings gets underway at 7 p.m. Friday at Rexall Place.

The six-foot, 201-pounder, who grew up in Edmonton, was drafted by the Wheat Kings and began his WHL career in Brandon before getting traded to the Oil Kings in December 2009 for forward Brent Raedeke.

"I've had some friends and family talk about (facing Brandon)," Wilson said. "It's pretty cool. I get to go back there for Game 3 and 4 and play back where my roots started in the WHL. I'll probably visit my old billets and stuff. "

It's been 2-1/2 seasons since Wilson returned home, but there are still familiar faces on the Wheat Kings roster.

"(Michael) Ferland, (Mark) Stone, (Ryley) Miller, (Brodie) Melnychuk, those guys I still remember," he said. "We were kind of close when I was there, but Ferland and Stone, (Brenden) Walker, too, they've all stepped up and are go-to guys now.

"They're still a well-coached team and props to them."

For any potential car thieves, don't even think about it. Wilson's car will be locked up for the rest of the Oil Kings' play off run.

coleary@edmontonjournal.com

Twitter.com/olearychris

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on WHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This Net Ring owned by you the fans.
[Show me other Team Boards]