Back to the Lair!  

Leader-Post article (Sletten comes full circle)

April 18 2012 at 7:29 AM
No score for this post
N. W. Bruin  (Login NW_Bruin_GM)

Response to Edmonton Journal article (Warriors overcome adversity to post successful season)

Sletten comes full circle

By Rob Vanstone, Leader-Post

April 18, 2012

Dianne Sletten did not submit a resume to the Swift Current Broncos with the intention of becoming a trail blazer.

But she is, in a sense.

The Broncos announced Tuesday that Sletten is the Western Hockey League team's assistant general manager - business operations. In the media release, it was noted that she is the first female assistant GM in league history.

"That is what we believe,'' Sletten said Tuesday. "So far, nobody has been able to tell us differently. I was really surprised, to be honest.

"I guess it's always nice to be first at something. I never, ever thought that was the case.''

There is a precedent for a female in a WHL front office. Brandi Brodsky, for example, is the vice-president of the Prince George Cougars. But as far as an assistant GM is concerned, Sletten may very well be a groundbreaker.

If that helps to open doors for females who aspire to hold high-ranking positions in major-junior hockey, Sletten would be delighted. She is most pleased, however, about being hired by a team that she began following when the WHL returned to Swift Current in the fall of 1986. At the time, she was a news and sports reporter with Swift Current radio station CKSW .

"It was exciting to have the team come back,'' said Sletten, who covered the Lethbridge Broncos' transfer to Swift Current. "To see all the work that went into getting the team back (after the Broncos' 12-year stay in Lethbridge), it was very exciting.''

In a reportorial capacity, Sletten also covered the Dec. 30, 1986 bus crash in which four Broncos players - Chris Mantyka, Brent Ruff, Scott Kruger and Trent Kresse - were killed.

Sletten worked for CKSW from 1984 to 1987 before moving to Edmonton. After four years in the Alberta capital, she relocated to Swift Current.

Since then, she has worked in the public and private sectors in the areas of communications, sales, program development and project management. She has also followed the Broncos as a season-ticket holder.

"Honestly, I thought, 'Do I get to watch the games anymore?' '' Sletten said with a chuckle. "I will get to see the games, but it will be in a more active role. I'll be talking to fans and sponsors about the game-day experience.

"I'm really excited about it. It's going to be a fun season.''

The fun has already started, judging by Sletten's demeanour.

"This is a dream come true,'' she said. "Sports is a passion for me.

"When I started out, I wanted to become a sports broadcaster, so I've come full circle.''

rvanstone@leaderpost.com

Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on WHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This Net Ring owned by you the fans.
[Show me other Team Boards]