Edm Journal article (May 11, 1963: Oil Kings defeat Flyers in six to claim Memorial Cup)May 11 2012 at 6:59 AM
No score for this post
|N. W. Bruin (Login NW_Bruin_GM)|
May 11, 1963: Oil Kings defeat Flyers in six games to claim Memorial Cup
May 11, 2012
Souvenir program for the 1963 Memorial Cup final between the Edmonton Oil Kings and the Niagara Falls Flyers.
Photograph by: Supplied , edmontonjournal.com
The Edmonton Oil Kings won the Memorial Cup junior hockey title for the first time, beating the Niagara Falls Flyers in six games.
The Oil Kings, coached by Buster Brayshaw, lost the first game of the series 8-0, then roared back with 7-3, 5-2 and 3-2 victories. They lost the fifth game 5-2.
In the sixth and final game, the Oil Kings were up 4-0 early in the third period. The gutsy Flyers fought back with three goals but the Oil Kings hung on for the win.
The three stars were selected by Scotty Bowman, chief scout of the Montreal Canadiens. He picked future Edmonton Oilers coach Glen Sather as third star saying, “I noticed that when the Oil Kings were in trouble, Buster had him out on the ice, praise enough for a kid who always works.”
This was Edmonton’s fourth consecutive bid for the Memorial Cup. It also marked the second time the trophy was awarded to a team from Alberta — the Calgary Canadians defeated Kingston to win in 1926.
© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal
- Edmonton Journal article (Oil Kings' Peddle floors it past Winterhawks) - N. W. Bruin on May 11, 7:30 AM
- Edmonton Journal article (Oil Kings deserve a full house if WHL playoffs go to Game 7) - N. W. Bruin on May 11, 7:34 AM
- Edmonton Journal article (Pysyk scores late winner to move Oil Kings one victory away) - N. W. Bruin on May 12, 7:21 AM
- Vancouver Sun article (The young and the hungry) - N. W. Bruin on May 12, 7:28 AM
- StarPhoenix article (Johnston skates through hockey options) - N. W. Bruin on May 12, 7:35 AM