Back to the Lair!  

Re: Copied from Giants' website (Pat Quinn Awarded Order of Canada)

July 4 2012 at 7:26 AM
No score for this post
N. W. Bruin  (Login NW_Bruin_GM)

Response to Copied from Giants' website (Pat Quinn Awarded Order of Canada)

Order of Canada honours for hockey giant Quinn

Former Canucks coach says he misses being part of NHL

By Ben Kuzma, The Province

July 3, 2012

Pat Quinn received the Order of Canada Friday, for his contribution to hockey as a player, coach and manager.

Photograph by: Getty Images Files , The Province

Former Vancouver Canucks coach Pat Quinn has added one more award to his long list of accomplishments - the Order of Canada.

"It's not something you sit there and aspire to," said Quinn of the award. "You know a lot of the great names who have been put forth for this honour. This is pretty significant.

"I did what I did in terms of my hockey career because it's some-thing I love and I looked forward to doing it every day, whether it was playing, managing or being involved," Quinn said Sunday after becoming a recipient Friday.

"The only thing I was thinking of is being the best I can be on a daily basis."

Although the Order of Canada may seem like the crowning glory - being recognized for a life-time of outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation - don't expect Quinn, who sports eight international medals, to ride into the sunset.

As much as it's an honour to be among the 69 new additions to the Order that now houses 5,000 members since its inception in 1967, Quinn isn't going to recline in his easy chair.

He's not going to fade away, fondly recalling the glory of winning 2002 Winter Olympics gold, twice being a Jack Adams Trophy winner in 1980 and 1992 and nearly capturing a Stanley Cup as coach of the Vancouver Canucks in 1994.

In fact, Quinn, at age 69, wants to stay in the NHL.

"I really miss my day-to-day involvement," said Quinn, who is part owner of the WHL Vancouver Giants and on the Hockey Hall of Fame committee.

"It's been a good part of my life for so long and you get up every morning and you get an opportunity to almost start over again. I miss making a contribution somehow and I don't know if that will happen again, but I would certainly be open-minded."

Aside from going to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final with the Canucks in 1994, he was with Canadian teams that took gold in Salt Lake City in 2002, and gold with the under-18 and world junior teams in 2008 and 2009. And also gold at the World Cup in 2004.

And if you think Quinn has lost his zest for the game, ask him about that Game 7 against the New York Rangers. He knows how close his Canucks came to the franchise's first Stanley Cup.

"They deserve better - they deserved to win," stressed Quinn. "I've watched that game time and again and we were better than

them." bkuzma@theprovince.com

twitter.com/benkuzma

Copyright (c) The Province

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on WHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This Net Ring owned by you the fans.
[Show me other Team Boards]