What - A Soldier is in captivity? Really? I was too busy watching the Jackson Funeral...

by StarWolve (Login StarWolve)
Horsemen

...to notice.

In case you can't tell - That was about the heaviest sarcasm I've ever written.

I wrote about this a couple weeks ago, when is was a 12 second clip instead of front page news:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/13357/message/1246548116/And+instead+of+focusing+on+the+media+or+the+president---+%28Long+post%2C+sorry%29

I don't care about the events surrounding his capture, I don't care what the Taliban wants. I want Pfc. Bowe R. Bergdahl to be returned to his unit.

I can't even imagine being his Commander right now, knowing that one of your Soldiers is being held captive. I'd be a wreck. I would refuse to leave the TOC (Tactical Operation Center) unless it was to go on a mission related to his recovery. They'd have to restrain me from taking every Soldier I had and kicking in every door in that region until I found him.

I can't imagine being Pfc. Bowe R. Bergdahl's girlfriend, worried sick about his well being. I can't imagine what it must be like - probably paralyzed with fear, emotionally drained, and unable to accomplish even routine daily tasks because everything you do remind you of your "normal" life with him.

I can't imagine being Pfc. Bowe R. Bergdahl's parents, experiencing the capture of their child. Wondering if they'll ever see their son again, trying to comprehend the possibility of outliving their son.

I can't imagine being the squad member of Pfc. Bowe R. Bergdahl's patrol, knowing that you left a man behind, whatever the circumstances. I can't imagine the overwhelming guilt and personal responsibility that they must feel. I can't imagine trying to get enough rest so that you can keep functioning, knowing that your brother is being held by the enemy.

And most of all - I can't imagine a society who places the coverage of a pedophile's funeral above the news of a Soldier's captivity in a warzone. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE WHO DECIDE WHAT IS ON THE NEWS!!?!?!

I can't express enough how much this disturbs me. Try living in a warzone for a year and see what it does to your VALUES. This country's VALUES are way out of priority. Maybe its reading Pirsig's book at a young age and trying to comprehend it, maybe it's my strong belief in self reliance, maybe its 11 years of Army VALUES being reinforced in my mind, or maybe its just how my parents brought me up... BUT WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

Sorry for the rant. I tend to get a little worked up over issues relating to Soldiers. That's because taking care of Soldiers is something that I VALUE. I take care of my brothers in arms just like I would take care of a real brother, and usually better.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted on Jul 22, 2009, 12:21 PM
from IP address 209.217.220.43

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses