Dragon Boat article in Time Magazine...

June 2 2006 at 7:42 PM
Anonymous 

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

Jeff Campbell

June 2 2006, 7:57 PM 

Although the USDBF site no longer lists him as a board member, Jeff Campbell was until recently a long-time member of the board of the USDBF. Does anyone know when he started his for-profit dragon boat business and if he is no longer a member of the USDBF? Sorry to be suspicious, but their are already many conflicts of interest in this sport.

anonymous

Wake up

June 3 2006, 7:12 AM 

Dragon boat racing like everything else is a business. From coaches, membership fees, boat rentals, uniforms,paddles, bum pads, dish gloves, entry fees, to the different consortiums planning for race offs.

Anonymous

Not so fast

June 3 2006, 5:30 PM 

Of course, dragon boating can be a business. But when a board member of the USDBF runs a business that organizes festivals, the possible conflicts of interest are obvious. Also, Mr. Campbell claims to have been on two U.S. National Teams -- even though he lives in Portland. As I recall, the Philly guys have won every U.S. National Championship. Which "national" teams were Mr. Campbell a part of?

Anonymous

Conflict of interest

June 4 2006, 7:12 AM 

Your worried about conflict of interest at the ISDBF, check out DBC.

It is a sport, and with sport comes politics and conflict, Jeff Campbell is no different then many involved with DBC.

Anonymous

Re: Dragon Boat article in Time Magazine...

June 4 2006, 7:31 AM 

so run for president of dbc and get to work mr. high and mighty volunteer
there is a difference between demonstrated and percieved/potential conflict
gived us an example please of the dbc presidents conflict
i only see good work being done
we've come a long way since the nineties

Anonymous

June 4 2006, 12:53 PM 

But have we come far enough????

To you Mr. High and Mighty, cheap comments from cheap seats, I agree action speaks louder than words!

If you've got issues get off your ass and contact Sports Canada, they're supposed to be the regulating body, maybe it's time they got off their ass!

Anonymous

June 5 2006, 9:38 AM 

Who runs DBC?

Anonymous

June 5 2006, 12:01 PM 

A board of directors and president elected by the sport members.
http://www.dragonboatcanada.org/ContactUs.htm

Anonymous

Not so fast

June 5 2006, 6:15 PM 

As I recall, the Philly guys have won every U.S. National Championship. Which "national" teams were Mr. Campbell a part of?

Portland was the US Premier Mixed team in the Nottingham (1999) and Philadelphia (2001) Worlds. The Philly team began racing Premier Mixed in 2002 and have been the US rep since in that category.

Anonymous

it's just wrong

June 25 2006, 1:30 PM 

Unlike the conflict within DBC, the Jeff Campbell conflict is more sensitive. He established all his contacts from his USDBF role and he is now drawing on these contacts for his business. He will make money. He sometimes forgets to inform that he communicating for his business and his company name makes you think he is still associated with the USDBF. Very fishy. He also tries to strong arm people into hiring him and his paid sponsors. Jeff might be good for the sport - but it's his methods keep me looking over my shoulder.

Anonymous

June 25 2006, 5:56 PM 

There's a difference between for-profit and not-for-profit businesses.

Anonymous

June 25 2006, 10:54 PM 

There is also a difference between Tax-exempt Not-for-Profit and Not-for-profit. In both cases there is no limit to what you can pay. Just look at the past United Way presidents who raked in the big money.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Water SportsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement