<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

If Tahiti did dragonboat

August 15 2008 at 1:42 PM
sprint paddler 

there is no question they would seriously kick everyones butt at the Worlds .If we thought teams like the Phillipines ,China ,etc were good ,they have nothing on Tahiti . They turned a 1.49 500 meter in a oc6 at Sacramento Worlds,thats stinkin fast and the hard part is they don't even look like they are working that hard . Can you imagine 20 of them in a dragonboat ,pray they never decide to try it

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

I'm not holding my breath

August 15 2008, 2:01 PM 

"If XX country entered the dragon boat race they would kick butt!"

Heard that too many times to take it seriously. Really, different boats, different water, different day, DIFFERENT SPORT! You can't make that generalization.

Can they put TWENTY (20) guys in a boat, overseas, that are better than the 20 guys that Russia, China, the U.S., Canada, etc, can? It's a whole different ballgame when you actually have to do it.

Who the f#ck knows because they never have! Probably never will, so don't worry about it.

Anonymous

Olympic Flatties

August 15 2008, 2:16 PM 

What if 20 of the top 2008 Olympic Flatties got in a DB and raced at Statford in Lane 4!

Anonymous

Re: If Tahiti did dragonboat

August 15 2008, 2:17 PM 

sprint paddler who just got back from the worlds and would like to **** on the lowly dragonboateres now..

anon

yea...

August 15 2008, 7:24 PM 

and we only know of one person who would do that!

WE DID IT!!!!

July 27 2012, 11:09 PM 

Well, it's FREAKING OFFICIAL, the Tahitian people did it. They won a race of dragon boat in nottingham this year, and NOT ONLY THEY WON, THEY BEAT THE EUROPEAN RECORD AS WELL. Take that!!!!

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 12:23 AM 

I guess the results are slow, because it doesn't look like they even raced yet.https://dragonboat.pl/ems.idbf/2012_not.php

Looks like some fast water. Mixed crews pulling under 8 minutes for a 2000m.

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 3:12 AM 

It's a senior crew but just wait until they show up w/ premier crews. Give them a couple of years and they may very well dominate this sport as they have in outrigger

http://www.tahiti-infos.com/Dragon-Boat-les-rameurs-polynesiens-n-ont-pas-faillit-a-leur-reputation_a53397.html

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 3:23 AM 

It's says they turned a 7:30 in the 2000 senior mens open ( and the article says something about women on board ) , russia was a 7:38 and Germany a 7:45. Even in Premier open Germany won with a 7:38 but different condition possible.

Not sure their time counted for anything because they appeared only as a guest team whatever that means

I'm glad they finally decided to try it out and I'm sure we will see more teams now. Can you imagine the premier open final with Tahiti,Phillipines,China ,makes for a very fast final

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 8:33 AM 

There is NO way that course is actually 2000 meters, unless it had (1) no turns and (2) a very strong current and/or tail wind!!

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 1:46 PM 

Tahiti wins in senior A open 200 and premier 200 small boat by 3 seconds

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 3:47 PM 

Congrats to them. "What ifs" are meaningless, but when you actually put yourself out there and compete then you gain my respect (for what little that is worth).

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 5:56 PM 

Didn't a bunch of Olympic sprint paddlers try the Molokai a couple of years ago -and got their butts kicked.

Different sport, different result.

Anonymous

July 29 2012, 3:12 PM 

and Tahiti sweeps again in the 500 both premier open and senior A

Anonymous

Different sport, different result.

July 29 2012, 5:04 PM 

Not sure you know what you are talking about.
Some people go to Tahiti to train, and they come back faster!
It is like mountain training for runners.
Word is that it is something in the symbiotic relationship of the following:
sunlight
seawater
seafood
Word on the water is they are packaging it, and you will find it soon in your grocers freezer.

Anonymous

July 29 2012, 8:51 PM 

Good Job Tahiti!
Hope to see you at more races!

Anonymous

July 29 2012, 9:29 PM 

So who were they? Are they the folks who will be in Calgary for the Va'a sprints? Times were fast at 1:53-1:54 but what were the conditions? Nottingham is a closed ex-Olympic course (1972?) has it been kept deep and weed free? It can be windy there. All times looked good senior A below 2 minutes, women 2.08

Anonymous

July 29 2012, 9:41 PM 

From what I recall, Nottingham is an old course so it won't be pristine. Windy? Yes, very much so at certain times of the year. Would depend on which way the wind was blowing, of course.

Times aside though, if you can beat Europe's best you've proven something right there. Now, let's see if they can do it again.

I was once told that to prove you can really do something, you have to do it twice.

Anonymous

July 30 2012, 3:56 PM 

I am excited about Tahiti in Dragon boat, but I have a couple questions:

Are they going to Hungary next year?

Why would a team from the South Pacific make their first race the European Championships? Was it their first real race?

Tahitian Wannabe

Heading this way

July 30 2012, 7:29 PM 

Why would they choose Europe first?

They got a seat sale that made it cheaper to go through Europe to Calgary for World Sprints. Might as well make a stop and race a little on the way, go to the Olympics and then head to Canada.

Anonymous

July 31 2012, 12:56 PM 

No disrespect to the Tahitians or anything, but don't paddlers use bent shaft paddles in OC racing? Those really make a difference in boat speed. The same holds true with flatwater canoeists. I'm not saying they wouldn't make a dragon boat go fast, but bent shaft paddles aren't allowed in our sport....yet. Which brings me to my next question: when is someone going to make bent shaft DB paddles? I would love to see what kind of difference they would make.

Anonymous

July 31 2012, 12:57 PM 

One more thing, I would also like to see a bent shaft swiffer so can clean my kitchen floor quicker.

Anonymous

July 31 2012, 1:11 PM 

I have a bent shaft which makes things go a little slower...

Anonymous

July 31 2012, 2:09 PM 

Bent shaft paddles don't make much of a difference, it's merely personal preference

Anonymous

July 31 2012, 2:26 PM 

Is the guy above me serious?

Anonymous

August 1 2012, 9:40 AM 

"Bent shaft paddles don't make much of a difference, it's merely personal preference" = most ignorant comment of the year on this forum?

Anonymous

August 1 2012, 9:42 AM 

The U.S. Premier teams that won two of the last three Nations Cups had a ton of top outrigger paddlers who normally use a bent-shaft paddle. The Tahitians would have no problem with a dragon boat and a dragon boat paddle either.

Philly paddler

August 1 2012, 2:18 PM 

Why is there any debate, they showed up at the EDBF championships and beat the best of Europe. Maybe the surprise is that they didn't win by more? If they put their top outrigger guys in one boat they should be a favorite to win at the IDBF worlds. Below are results from the 2007 world outrigger sprints, they dominate all classes: open men, master men, junior men. It is their national sport what else would you expect? They can easily adjust to dragon boat as they paddle in the OC6 as well. Four of their guys beat Danny Ching. The Calgary races will likely turn out the same in a few weeks. It would be a honor to race against them just like it is to race against the Chinese.

Open Men - V1 500 Final 8:26 AM Lane Time
1st DUBOIS Taaroa, Bob, Albert Tahiti 1 2:10.01
2nd Lai Fao, Romeo Tahiti 3 2:10.75
3rd VAIRAAROA Tainuiatea Yannick Tahiti 2 2:11.61
4th MATI Heirani Tahiti 5 2:17.43
5th Danny Ching California 7 2:19.03
6th AH SIN Rudy, Tetairoa Tahiti 8 2:21.48
7th Van Gieson, Alfred Hawai'i 6 2:23.45
DNS Trope, Clovis Tahiti 4

Master Men - V1 500 Final 8:49 AM Lane Time
1st HART Steeve Tahiti 2 2:18.92
2nd AVAEPII Rene Tehareitua Tahiti 1 2:19.12
3rd ARIIHOHOA Christiansen Tahiti 4 2:22.81
4th TANE Eric Atoni Tahiti 3 2:23.92
5th MILLION, Jean Tahiti 5 2:24.73
6th PETILLEON Olivier (France) France 6 2:25.21
7th TAPI Sebastien, Viri Tahiti 8 2:25.82
8th DEANE Eric, Teato Tahiti 7 2:26.42

Junior 19 Men - V1 500 Final 12:36 PM Lane Time
1st DUBOIS Taaroa, Bob, Albert Tahiti 1 2:11.57
2nd BOPP DU PONT Manatea Tahiti 3 2:13.86
3rd HAMBLIN Tereiarii, Dane, Hiomai Tahiti 2 2:14.33
4th HAMBLIN Benoit, Ernest, Vaipoiri Tahiti 5 2:18.00
5th EBB Teva Rete Rony Tahiti 4 2:18.17
6th TETUAITEROI, Teiva Tahiti 6 2:19.71
7th Hemi Wahapango New Zealand 7 2:20.00
8th TAURAA Kalani, Teraitahi Tahiti 8 2:21.11

Anonymous

August 1 2012, 4:09 PM 

We are all in for a...
[linked image]

Anonymous

August 1 2012, 4:14 PM 

a quick peek -

[linked image]

Anonymous

August 1 2012, 4:30 PM 

Tahiti Treat!!!!! OMG!!! I loved that shlt!!!!! Do they still make it!?!

Anonymous

August 1 2012, 4:31 PM 

Jeebus..we all must pray to the jeebus.

I would love to see the following teams line up against each other for a 200m

1. Indonesia
2. Burma
3. Phillipines
4. China/Shunde
5. Thailand
6. North American team just for amusement
7. European team just for amusement
8. Australian team just for amusement

Anonymous

August 1 2012, 4:32 PM 

[linked image]

Anonymous

August 1 2012, 4:37 PM 

"Tahiti Treat!!!!! OMG!!! I loved that shlt!!!!! Do they still make it!?!"

Me too! One summer I lived on Tahiti Treat and Oh Henry bars.

Ah, to be pimple-faced 14 year old again...

Anonymous

August 1 2012, 4:43 PM 

damn, having them race in Champion boats might lessen the chance they'll actually like dragon boat

Anonymouis

None

August 1 2012, 7:49 PM 

"damn, having them race in Champion boats might lessen the chance they'll actually like dragon boat"

damn, you Buk salesmen are so witty!

Anonymous

August 1 2012, 10:02 PM 

It's always that one BuK troller.

Anonymous

August 2 2012, 12:41 AM 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcxyxqYrzw&feature=youtu.be

your first peek at the men's 200 , Tahiti lane 1

check out the short stroke,tapping the water and notice the left,right timing. Maybe this is the key,a paddle in the water all the time

Anonymous

August 2 2012, 10:13 AM 

Tahiti should host a dragonboat race - and with their experience from running outrigger sprints it would make for a killer racing destination

2016 club crews - anyone in for Tahiti?

Who doesn't like Tahiti anyway..comments re: a drink inspired by the country reveal the following

Neil - June 20, 2008 - Report this comment
I used to think Tahiti Treat was sooooo good. Then they brought it back for a while and I tried it. It tasted like pure sugar syrup. Although, they do have it in a hard candy which is quite good.

crazy amy - September 08, 2008 - Report this comment
i used to drink this at the pizza place i worked at. they let us drink all we wanted to for free and it was my favorite.i tasted it recently and to my suprise i found it too sweet which is almost impossible for me-go figure.

Mark - September 09, 2008 - Report this comment
My grandmother ALWAYS kept at least a 12-pack of this stuff in the "utility fridge" for us grankids. Fresca too. Now you'd have to put a gun to my head to make me drink that stuff. Ahh memories...happy.gif

Mrs Dean Wormer - October 24, 2008 - Report this comment
I LOVED TT. Used to get a can for the long drive home from Hampton Beach when I was 16. (And even then - 1975ish - it was hard to find.)

steve - June 28, 2009 - Report this comment
vancouver, early sixties , it came out in those 26oz. glass bottles and was on special for 19 cents like a whole "big" bottle for nineteen cents I was like 6 yrs old and this was deffinately heaven!!!! we need this soda back in society please bring it back

KC - July 08, 2010 - Report this comment
They still make Tahitian Treat. Kroger stores in the Detroit area carry it. The thing I loved about was that it wasn't as heavily carbonated as most sodas. I don't drink it now but I sure loved it when I was a kid.

http://www.inthe70s.com/food/canadadrytahitiantreat0.shtml

Anonymous

August 2 2012, 3:05 PM 

Did they really bring their own dragon boat to a race in England? Is that even legal? Please tell me that was just a sticker or something they stuck on the side of the boat.

They look pretty good though regardless.

Anonymous

August 2 2012, 5:25 PM 

Lane 1 in Nottingham is often wind protected by the huge berm, they barely beat Germany here so maybe they are not so unstoppable.

Anonymous

Tahiti on tour?

August 3 2012, 11:09 AM 

got this from an So Cal outrigger list, maybe the EDBF trip was fully sponsored by the tourism authority from Tahiti?:

Hey sports fans.. this just in!

This weekend we have some paddlers visiting from Tahiti, on their way to Calgary, who are promoting races and paddling in Tahiti.

Be sure to look for them at the Dana beach after your or before your race this weekend

The Tahitian Va'a Federation will be represented at the Dana race. Available to talk with about Tahiti and all things paddling. They are promoting their races and the assistance they can provide SCORA paddlers/clubs who make the trip over there. It's a great opportunity to get information, make some valuable contacts and make some new friends.

Anonymous

August 3 2012, 12:27 PM 

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=172257936242652

ummm.......ok. Is this something we need to learn

Anonymous

August 3 2012, 12:56 PM 

As the great GSP once said, "I'm not impressed with their performance"

Anonymous

August 4 2012, 11:14 PM 

It's over folks Tahiti will dominate dragon boat from the time they decide to start until the day they decide to stop. Paddling is not a hobby to them, international companies pay paddlers to paddle(Shell), it is their full time job, imagine if you will the Canadian Olympic Hockey team taking on the Tahitian National Hockey team, same caliber differences. Enjoy watching them.

Anonymous

August 6 2012, 1:21 AM 

I don't see a woman's team yet. So the Nations Cup is not yet in their reach.

Polynasiansvaa

August 9 2012, 5:56 AM 

Hi everyone Im from Tahiti and heres some info about Tahiti Dragonboating.
Thanks to Australian billlionaire Clive Palmer , Tahiti participated to the Nottingham European championship as an « invited guest »,.
The whole crew and staff sat their asses for the very first time into a dragon boat 2 days before their 2000 m race.
First time coaching (by 2 british), learning the rules, paddling with offical DB paddles well they were still virgins at that time.

Mr Palmer has been the key for the Tahitian interest in that Sport.
As a huge fan of DB, he saw a race of Outrigger Canoe 6 (Vaa Ono) in Tahiti a few months ago. He was so impressed - as an expert - that he had a word with our Sports minister Tauhiti Nena and showed him videos of DB races.
Tahitian OC paddlers worldwide renown in sprint (World championships 500, 1000, 2000 m) & offshore races (molokai hoe = 60km or Hawaiki nui = 124,5km..) is a fact and is undeniable so our minister kinda bet with Palmer that Tahiti would be able to do a great job if they'd have the opportunity to participating in such races.
Guess what ? You know all the rest because its all over the web.

One said in his post is true about paddling not being a hobby for us Tahitians.
We really take it seriously because its part of our culture.
One of the 1st Polynesians left a Tahitian island by canoes to colonize the Hawaiian islands, New Zealand (maori Aotearoa) the Easter island (Rapa Nui) that now defines the Polynesian triangle.
Many people died on the journey and the one who once reached the shore of a land were very tough guys whose genetics might have passed through a bunch of nowadays Polynesians.
Paddling and canoes has been part of every Polynesians life (food, travelling, war).
When combining pure strength with cult or worship, techniques, training, diet, coaching that makes a real explosive mixture !!

To finish here are some info:
- Some of the paddlers who competed in Nottingham are or were great OC1,3,6 ,12 champions in Tahiti
- the participation of Tahiti in the next DG national competition in Korea next September
with a women crew too
- their desire of showing-up for the next DB world championship in Hong Kong
- 2 or 3 DB should arrive in Tahiti in a few weeks to perfect training and techniques in that sport
- We want to show the world that we can be really good in DB thanks to our skills and experience in OC (on river, calm water, offshore seawater, windy or flat, raging waters and waves, sunny/rainy/coldy weather conditions.) and by the same time promoting our national sport « Vaa » in order to gaining more and more members all over the world and why not seeing Outrigger Canoe Vaa at the Olympic games one day.

See you guys around and keep on paddling in whatever sport you're into.
Mauruuru. Te aroha ia rahi.

Anonymous

August 9 2012, 1:31 PM 

As a world class paddler, I'd like to welcome Tahiti to the DB world. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is excited to see how fast your team can become and motivated to push myself harder in my own training.

Nick

When Tahiti does dragonboat.

August 10 2012, 12:15 AM 

Hi there Polynasiansvaa,

How about you get together some DB teams and come over to Australia for the Pan Pacific Masters Games in November (3rd to 11th). You have to be over 40 years old as at the 9th November 2012 and there are age division of

40+ (Masters - Senior A)
50+ (Grand Masters - Senior B)
60+ (Great Grand Dragons - Senior C)

There are catagories of Open, Mixed and Womens and the races are 200m and 500m (no 2k turn races).
The games are to be held at the Gold Coast in Queensland (Clive Palmer's home state).
Some of the best Australian DB masters teams will be there.

http://www.mastersgames.com.au/default.asp?PageID=13093

There are also some OC races on the Saturday 3rd and the DB races are on the following weekend (9th and 10th)
PS - If you guys ever need a contact from the AusDBF then I'm pretty sure I can help out.

Cheers
Nick

Anonymous

August 10 2012, 12:22 AM 

Tahiti,
Forget about Va'a getting in the Olympics, the ICF has claimed authority over your sport and will block it's entry just like it wil block dragon boat.

Polynesiansvaa

August 10 2012, 5:17 AM 

Hi Nick and hi to all the Anonymous,
To start Im afraid to announce to the Anonymous post - about enjoying the presence of Tahitian OC paddlers in Calgary (08/11/2012 to 08/15/2012) for the OC 15th world championship that the tahitian crew composed of 100s of paddlers wont be able to make it all the way to Canada due to a strike leaded by commercial aircraft crew members for the past 2 days in Tahiti, and its still on the move.
This is a great disillusion for us because this is the 1st time Tahiti wont be competing in this event since its creation.
www.ladepeche.pf/actu/les-rameurs-polynesiens-bloques-a-tahiti-cest-du-gachis

To Nick, do you see the guy on the picture (link above) ? His name is Karyl Maoni and hes 41. He is quite a legend in Tahiti and holds 7 individual winning titles in OC1 world championships and hes still in the top 20 best OC paddlers in Tahiti. He was a member and also was the captain of the Tahitian DB teams that raced in Nottingham.
There are still many men over 40 in the top 100 (maybe 30 of them) who still kicckass and the level is very high with all the youth in the place.

I only speak as a forum visitor but Im pretty sure that the Tahitian vaa Federation (www.ftvaa.pf) would be delighted to make up some DB paddler teams over 40, 50 and 60 to be presented at your upcoming event.
You can also post something on the vaa news tahiti facebook page which is very popular here (www.facebook.com/pages/VAA-NEWS-TAHITI/250211298365048)
But Tauhiti Nena as the ministry of Sports and as a close acquaintance of Clive Palmer is definitely the one to get hooked on to (tauhitinena2012@gmail.com or contac@tavinihuiraatira.com). You can also directly leave a message on the vaa federation website by clicking on the tab « Nous écrire ».
If you want me to translate anything into French or in Tahitian, just ask and Ill help you out with that.
Keep me in touch. Cheers.

To the last post, thanks for the info but we did actually already knew that, but rules arent they made to be broken ? At least by dreams of course, lol.
See you all around.

Polynesiansvaa

Anonymous

August 11 2012, 2:53 AM 

"their desire of showing-up for the next DB world championship in Hong Kong"

There is no scheduled upcoming world championship in Hong Kong, is there???

Anonymous

August 15 2012, 9:21 PM 

Polynasiansvaa,

Forgot Canada does have Tahiti beat in one area, aside from hockey, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the top sprint outrigger lady a Canadian, Parry Sounds own Leanne Stanley? Also our ladies Sprint OC6 team currently holds the top spot? I have been out of it for a few years and could be wrong, but think I could be onto something.

Anonymous

August 15 2012, 11:49 PM 

Team Tahiti did not make it to the World Outrigger Sprints due to an airline strike, what a bummer.

Polynesiansvaa

August 18 2012, 6:17 AM 

Ia orana,

About the world championship in Hong Kong it's been picked out from the speech of our ministry of Sports (local newspaper article).

Youre probably right about Leanne Stanley and it might be definitely true about canadian ladies Sprint OC6 team in tops, but theres no chance Canada could ever beat Tahiti in hockey, never.

Don you worry Im not being sarcastic, Im just kidding so dont take it seriously.
I really dont know much about ladies competitions. All I know is there are often many women out of Tahiti (Hawaii, NZ, cook islands..) in the top sprint OC1 to 6 races.
So I wont be surprised if Leanne Stanley is still the best in OC1 sprints world races.

About sprints, you should know that yearly vaa national scheduled races in Tahiti ( about 98% of them) are endurance races, I mean by that : offshore long-distance competitions.

Every paddlers (juniors, men, women, masters) train all year long in long-distance and its only for the Sprints OC world races qualifications (and 1 or 2 annual local sprint main events) that all of them focus their training on speed races (500m,1500m,2000m).

Thats why Im not surprised when / I wont be surprised seeing foreign countries beating Tahitian teams in OC because sprint is completely different to endurance.

It requires easier paddling-techniques (but still with lots of strengh) for a short amount of time.
Long-distance races though are way more difficult because paddling systems are not the same (starting-up, surfing, counterstriking, bearing & course, time & effort management, mental effort, finishing and so forth) and it requires more experience skills, and this is bringing to you by my own experience.

When I was around 16 now Im in my 30s I discovered vaa and my boys and I used to train only in OC6 sprints by a former world OC1&6 racer. A year and a half later we won the tahitian sprint championship in junior and finished 2nd at the French polynesia sprint championship (out of at least 20 teams).
Among all the competitors we were more massive and ripped when others were leaner.

Then we trained for long-distance and competed with same teams & with a bunch of other guys, and thats when we ve been bashed for the very 1st time by finishing in the last quater.

All of these to say that Tahitian OC sprinters might be undisputed in OC (for the moment) but they are not undefeated.
I think this is probably going to be the same for DB. Tahitian teams will be more and more effective but will still be beatable because of short distance races.

However, Im ready to put, maybe not my life but at least something safer, like my hand at stake that Tahitian teams supremacy would last for a very very long time in OC and it would probably have been the same if DB long-distance races should exist. A word to the wise.

Polynesiansvaa

Anonymous

August 18 2012, 6:48 AM 

1st Aotearoa - Vesna Radonich New Zealand 5 2:42.60
2nd Aotearoa - Stacey Davis New Zealand 2 2:43.73
3rd Aotearoa - Kiwi Campbell New Zealand 6 2:43.74
4th Leanne Stanley Canada 4 2:44.67
5th Aotearoa - Claire Sykes New Zealand 3 2:46.12
6th Aotearoa - Marianna Hodges New Zealand 1 2:47.63
7th Kamini Jain Canada 7 2:49.22

Anonymous

August 18 2012, 11:16 PM 

It also bears mentioning that these sprints are done with rudderless boats, something Tahiti uses pretty much exclusively but are rare for US and Canada to use.

Tahiti is definitely fast though I'm not arguing against that.

Anonymous

August 19 2012, 9:29 AM 

Whoa. What if NEW ZEALAND did dragon boat???

Well, they do. But do they ever compete at the Worlds?

Anonymous

August 19 2012, 11:27 AM 

a dragon boat and OC are different.

you want to get good at OC, train it. That's why it's a good test for DB, but not the most complete.

Bet the chinese women would do **** in an OC..... but guess what.

Any crew of great individual athletes will compete in dragon boat, but they need to train the boat specifically to shave off the 2-3 seconds needed to medal.

Watched an interesting segment on the dream team (USA basketball) in 1992. The guys were destroyed by a bunch of semi-pros and college players in their first test match. After a bit of practice together it was no contest.

Anonymous

August 19 2012, 5:14 PM 

Your theory doesn't hold up. The US Premier teams rely heavily on recruiting top OC paddlers, many of whom spend little to no time in a DB other than at the Worlds. They won the Nations Cup at two of the last three Worlds.

Top OC paddlers will always be very competitive in the DB. But the reverse is not necessarily true. Take the Chinese team's DB paddling style and have then try it in an OC and they will be bouncing the OC like crazy, which is unlikely to be an efficient stroke for an OC. Then again, if someone can maintain a rate of 110+ strokes/minute on an OC, it might not matter! Would be fun to see...

Anonymous

August 19 2012, 6:31 PM 

Chinese arent interested in OC. Nuff Said.

Polynesiansvaa

August 20 2012, 3:45 AM 

Hi everyone,

About Vesna Radonich from New Zealand (1st Aotearoa) she currently lives in Tahiti.
I think its been 2 years now or something like that, and rumor has it that shes still improving her skills thanks to training with the bests in Tahiti. She participates at each and every local OC races and always ends up in the top 10 finalists.

Every vaa (OC) in Tahiti are rudderless wich makes steering more complicated and racing more challenging.

As somebody said « .. you want to get good at OC, train it. That's why it's a good test for DB, but not the most complete.. », I think youre wrong.
I could tell you why OC is the more complete rowing sport to be better in DB, but I dont want to reveal any secret training techniques we use for OC by respect of our sports & our « matahiapo », and anyway its going to take to long to explain too.

What I can say is that Tahiti is more and more interested in DB, not because its now our favorite sports but more because it is a way for us to promote OC worldwide by saying « if you want to be good at DB, you should train in OC ».
Thats why Tahitian upcoming teams in DB should be taken very seriously because theyll do their best to be and to stay on top in order to prove this theory is right.

About Chinese not interested in OC, I think we should wait.
China is more and more interested in Tahiti, our culture and also our touristic destination, because Tahiti - despite of being a French territory has an autonomous status since 1996 allowing us to have full responsabilities for international relationships (tourism, politics, economy, sports), and also because 10% of the French Polynesia population are of Chinese origin ( against 85% of Tahitians and 5% of French and Europeans).
Our relationship is getting closer and closer, i.e Air Tahiti Nui (local international commercial airline) is opening in 2013 a direct line to Beijing & Shanghai, the PM of China came to visit Tahiti a few weeks ago, our political leaderships are doing whatever they can to sell the «Tahiti » image to China.

So I wont be surprised to see in the next few years some Chinese guys racing in OC because I already see some of them dancing the « TAMURE ».

Polynesiansvaa

Anonymous

August 20 2012, 9:14 AM 

"Thats why Tahitian upcoming teams in DB should be taken very seriously because theyll do their best to be and to stay on top in order to prove this theory is right."

The U.S. Premier teams' success already prove your theory. But feel free to confirm it! Looking forward!

Anonymous

August 20 2012, 9:39 AM 

US did well in Tampa.

Shunde would have killed if present, and strong european crews were not present. Canada hasn't fielded an open crew worth mentioning in years.

Tahiti will be a strong crew if they race, but I guarantee they won't clean anyone. Like most open crews at worlds, they'll fight to make a final and anything can happen.

Anonymous

August 20 2012, 10:51 AM 

Never mind Tahiti....Kobe Bryant's a comin'!!!!!

[linked image]

Anonymous

August 20 2012, 3:16 PM 

Hungary should be a more attractive destination so all teams will likely be better in 2013 and the field deeper. As always the Nations Cup will swing on just a few points between the top 3-4 teams.

Anonymous

August 20 2012, 8:04 PM 

US also won the Nations Cup in Sydney. Prague was a disaster for everyone due to the lane-depth problems, so who knows who had the best Premier teams there. There will no lane-depth problems in Hungary, where the course is top-notch.

Anonymous

August 20 2012, 9:46 PM 

I'd say tahiti will win the open 500m by at least half a boat if not open water!!

By the way Polynesisia, calling it rowing and paddling are different sports on this side of the ocean.

Anonymous

August 21 2012, 9:18 AM 

If Tahiti competes at the IDBF worlds by 2015 - Canada Dry in honour of Tahiti's participation should produce Tahiti Treat for a limited time to celebrate.

DBC please get on this. Imagine - cans and cans of Tahiti treat being poured into the Nations Cup...mmm! Delicious!

He Be GB

August 26 2012, 8:51 PM 

Interesting I was at Nottingham as part of the GB team. I have some interest myself in oc and so recognised a few of the Tahitans, it was certainly a surreal experience to see them turn up unexpected in Notts! While some questioned exactly what they were doing at the Euros and still do, they were a real friendly bunch of guys and Im sure will be a huge asset to any future db worlds if their funding stretches...
For my two pence worth about how they might do at a idbf worlds i'd say they could certainly kick ***! In the 2000m I expect most convincingly. But medalling in the 200 and 500 Id imagine also very possible. In Nottingham they were least dominant in the 500 but still clearly won.
They aren't however in my opinion quite the paddling super humans some people here seem to think they are. What they were in Nottingham is a bunch of semi professional and professional paddling athletes on an all expenses paid trip, competing against amateurs. They may not have spent much time in a DragonBoat before but to see the number in some euro teams J stroking down the coarse they may not have been alone in that!!
While impressive they certainly are in no way unbeatable. If a millionaire chose to sponsor the likes of Ed Mckeever and Tim Brabants (GB kayakers) or even athletes several rungs down to fill up our GB boat would things have been different? Yes for sure. Danny Ching may lose to the Tahitians in vaa sprints but got totally out muscled when he tried his hand at kayak sprint as well. He isnt really a sprinter.
The big tahitan butt in all this is that funding is unlikely to happen over here. Dragon boat is a tiny sport!
Personally I think the standard in Europe would increase a lot if the icf was running it. Has been interesting reading this forum about why that shouldn't happen from a North American perspective.
Gb unsurprisingly wont be in Milan but most of the teams at the Euros will be and I would imagine some will be stronger. The Philippines will also be there!
I certainly hope Tahiti continue with DB whatever champs they chose and I also hope some DB Euro teams have a go (as is the Tahitians hope) at outrigger sprints! Wishful thinking perhaps but I think we might actually do better against the Tahitians at their own sport (only the sprints) than we did at DB. The small db blade doesnt really suit most euro teams build or technique. A strong 6 is also much easier to field for all than a 20. That alone could make things interesting!
Sorry for the sprawl of this post but if any millionaire is reading this and the prospect amuses then Im up for it! Ill even lead a Morris dance to add exotic anglo colour to the Vaa champs opening ceremony.. whatever it takes...

Anonymous

September 11 2012, 8:23 PM 

I can't wait to see them in Hungary.

Anonymous

September 12 2012, 6:57 AM 

Anonymous

September 12 2012, 8:22 AM 

Thank you for clearing up this debate.

Anonymous

September 25 2012, 5:56 AM 

I heard the Tahitians did very well at the Asian Dragon Boat Championships, but I cannot find any results on the Internet.

Anonymous

September 25 2012, 3:50 PM 

Silver, neck/neck with China looked pretty darn good.

Current Topic - If Tahiti did dragonboat  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Water SportsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement