<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

If Tahiti did dragonboat

August 15 2008 at 1:42 PM
sprint paddler 

there is no question they would seriously kick everyones butt at the Worlds .If we thought teams like the Phillipines ,China ,etc were good ,they have nothing on Tahiti . They turned a 1.49 500 meter in a oc6 at Sacramento Worlds,thats stinkin fast and the hard part is they don't even look like they are working that hard . Can you imagine 20 of them in a dragonboat ,pray they never decide to try it

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

I'm not holding my breath

August 15 2008, 2:01 PM 

"If XX country entered the dragon boat race they would kick butt!"

Heard that too many times to take it seriously. Really, different boats, different water, different day, DIFFERENT SPORT! You can't make that generalization.

Can they put TWENTY (20) guys in a boat, overseas, that are better than the 20 guys that Russia, China, the U.S., Canada, etc, can? It's a whole different ballgame when you actually have to do it.

Who the f#ck knows because they never have! Probably never will, so don't worry about it.

Anonymous

Olympic Flatties

August 15 2008, 2:16 PM 

What if 20 of the top 2008 Olympic Flatties got in a DB and raced at Statford in Lane 4!

Anonymous

Re: If Tahiti did dragonboat

August 15 2008, 2:17 PM 

sprint paddler who just got back from the worlds and would like to **** on the lowly dragonboateres now..

anon

yea...

August 15 2008, 7:24 PM 

and we only know of one person who would do that!

Graz

WE DID IT!!!!

July 27 2012, 11:09 PM 

Well, it's FREAKING OFFICIAL, the Tahitian people did it. They won a race of dragon boat in nottingham this year, and NOT ONLY THEY WON, THEY BEAT THE EUROPEAN RECORD AS WELL. Take that!!!!

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 12:23 AM 

I guess the results are slow, because it doesn't look like they even raced yet.https://dragonboat.pl/ems.idbf/2012_not.php

Looks like some fast water. Mixed crews pulling under 8 minutes for a 2000m.

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 3:12 AM 

It's a senior crew but just wait until they show up w/ premier crews. Give them a couple of years and they may very well dominate this sport as they have in outrigger

http://www.tahiti-infos.com/Dragon-Boat-les-rameurs-polynesiens-n-ont-pas-faillit-a-leur-reputation_a53397.html

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 3:23 AM 

It's says they turned a 7:30 in the 2000 senior mens open ( and the article says something about women on board ) , russia was a 7:38 and Germany a 7:45. Even in Premier open Germany won with a 7:38 but different condition possible.

Not sure their time counted for anything because they appeared only as a guest team whatever that means

I'm glad they finally decided to try it out and I'm sure we will see more teams now. Can you imagine the premier open final with Tahiti,Phillipines,China ,makes for a very fast final

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 8:33 AM 

There is NO way that course is actually 2000 meters, unless it had (1) no turns and (2) a very strong current and/or tail wind!!

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 1:46 PM 

Tahiti wins in senior A open 200 and premier 200 small boat by 3 seconds

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 3:47 PM 

Congrats to them. "What ifs" are meaningless, but when you actually put yourself out there and compete then you gain my respect (for what little that is worth).

Anonymous

July 28 2012, 5:56 PM 

Didn't a bunch of Olympic sprint paddlers try the Molokai a couple of years ago -and got their butts kicked.

Different sport, different result.

Anonymous

July 29 2012, 3:12 PM 

and Tahiti sweeps again in the 500 both premier open and senior A

Anonymous

Different sport, different result.

July 29 2012, 5:04 PM 

Not sure you know what you are talking about.
Some people go to Tahiti to train, and they come back faster!
It is like mountain training for runners.
Word is that it is something in the symbiotic relationship of the following:
sunlight
seawater
seafood
Word on the water is they are packaging it, and you will find it soon in your grocers freezer.

Anonymous

July 29 2012, 8:51 PM 

Good Job Tahiti!
Hope to see you at more races!

Anonymous

July 29 2012, 9:29 PM 

So who were they? Are they the folks who will be in Calgary for the Va'a sprints? Times were fast at 1:53-1:54 but what were the conditions? Nottingham is a closed ex-Olympic course (1972?) has it been kept deep and weed free? It can be windy there. All times looked good senior A below 2 minutes, women 2.08

Anonymous

July 29 2012, 9:41 PM 

From what I recall, Nottingham is an old course so it won't be pristine. Windy? Yes, very much so at certain times of the year. Would depend on which way the wind was blowing, of course.

Times aside though, if you can beat Europe's best you've proven something right there. Now, let's see if they can do it again.

I was once told that to prove you can really do something, you have to do it twice.

Anonymous

July 30 2012, 3:56 PM 

I am excited about Tahiti in Dragon boat, but I have a couple questions:

Are they going to Hungary next year?

Why would a team from the South Pacific make their first race the European Championships? Was it their first real race?

Tahitian Wannabe

Heading this way

July 30 2012, 7:29 PM 

Why would they choose Europe first?

They got a seat sale that made it cheaper to go through Europe to Calgary for World Sprints. Might as well make a stop and race a little on the way, go to the Olympics and then head to Canada.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Water SportsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement