<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

TIDBRF Big Fish Looking for Sponsorship email

February 20 2009 at 11:14 AM
Anonymous 

Did anyone get this email from the TIDBRF? One of our potential dragon boat teams, Big Fish, is currently seeking sponsorship for this year's race. Please see attached some background information regarding this team. If you are interested in providing sponsorship to this team you can contact Denise Luk at luk.denise@gmail.com.

Is it only me who finds this email insulting and stupid?

If your team doesn't have the money to enter a race don't race or fold or have your team members pay more. it's part of the nature of the beast.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Big Fish responds

February 20 2009, 12:10 PM 

Hello Anonymous,

My name is James Haslam and I am the current captain of the Big Fish Dragon Boat Club.

Firstly, Im sorry that you find the communication you have received stupid and insulting. Our team has never intended to insult anyone. But I should point out that the communication you have received, which I have not actually seen myself, did not come from us directly but was issued on our behalf. Frankly I did not know this was going to be done, at least not in this format, but Im not sorry about it either. My thanks to the issuer.

Yes, we ARE seeking sponsorship for the Toronto International Dragon Boat Festival. I see nothing wrong with that. Isn't corporate sponsorship a perfectly normal part of our sport? Our team has a funding gap this year and we are seeking new sponsors to close this gap and allow us to continue competing at the highest level against the best teams at the most prestigious events. Our goals are lofty..but expensive. Our team members already contribute a great deal of their personal income to be a part of the team, but there are limits to what we can expect people to pay out of pocket. Thus, were seeking sponsorship to offset our costs and in turn provide exposure to a corporate partner.

I think that our team would be excellent ambassadors for any corporate sponsor. We are friendly, diverse, inclusive and competitive. TIDBRF in particular has been one of our favourite and most successful events, this year we hope to have our best showing ever!

So again, sorry that you found this insulting. I guess we wont be counting on your support! But for anyone out there who is interested in sponsoring our team, please contact myself or Denise.

Cheers,

James P. Haslam

KC

Re: TIDBRF Big Fish Looking for Sponsorship email

February 20 2009, 12:14 PM 

I'm confused. Is it the email that you find insulting or is it the solicitation for sponsorship specific to an event?

I can't comment on the email but lot of teams organize fundraisers or seek corporate sponsorship to offset the costs. So I don't see any problem with it.

And if there's a good team like Big Fish and a big event like TIDBRF, why wouldn't an organization or some marketer consider taking advantage of the opportunity.

shrug I guess I'd have to see the email to know.

Another guy

February 20 2009, 1:02 PM 

I received the email and thought it was odd for a request to come this way. TIDBRF should not be going out of its way to help one team get sponsorship when there are several teams who need it (probably all) and everyone is paying the same fees.

More than likely, the conversation started between a well meaning but naive TIDBRF organizer and Big Fish. Big Fish probably didn't know it was going to be email blasted to all teams.

But its a pretty stupid precedent. Does that mean we will be getting 150-200 emails from TIDBRF making the case for each one of its client teams? If you do one, you should do them all?

Anonymous

February 20 2009, 1:37 PM 

Those girl guide cookies rake in a tonne of money. Maybe you should venture into selling those?

Anonymous

February 20 2009, 2:35 PM 

Big Fish does not deserved to be raked over the coals for this. I'm more curious as to why TIDBRF thought this was the right approach to assist the team in this manner seeing as how they (from what I can tell) used the team captain mailing list.

Anonymous

February 20 2009, 2:42 PM 

Some1 post the email.

Anonymous

February 20 2009, 2:50 PM 

The email contents are reasonable (Big Fish asking for sponsorship) but the email was sent to an inappropriate audience (all other TIDBRF dragon boat teams). What if the impossible happens and this email is actually successful? Will we see a team at the Island called something like "The Mayfair Predator Big Fishes" ?

Anonymous

February 20 2009, 3:09 PM 

How can I make a snarky comment if I haven't seen the email, c'mon post it!

Postal

copy of the letter.

February 20 2009, 3:49 PM 

Hi Teams, One of our potential dragon boat teams, Big Fish, is currently seeking sponsorship for this year's race. Please see attached some background information regarding this team. If you are interested in providing sponsorship to this team you can contact Denise Luk at luk.denise@gmail.com
Thank you for your attention and see you guys on the water soon! Regards,
Darren Liu

THE LETTER

About Big Fish:

Originally sponsored and named after the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, The Big Fish Dragon Boat Club has been a part of the Toronto Dragon Boat scene since 1997, making it one of the longest enduring independent teams in Canada.

A very friendly and diverse group, the team is also fiercely competitive. Utilizing both on-the-water and dry-land training, including free weights, running, and group training sessions, Big Fish constantly strives to improve its standing among the best teams in the country.

We have attended the Toronto International Dragon Boat Festival for five of the last six years. Big Fish has always placed in the Top 10 at TIDBRF and our best finish was 4th place in 2007.

We are currently seeking partnership with a Corporate Sponsor to ensure that we can once again compete at this most prestigious of Canadian Dragon Boat Festivals. We would proudly bear the name and logo of a Corporate or Community sponsor and would do our best to uphold their expectations in terms of sportsmanship and community spirit.

Your participation would benefit your organization through exposure to thousands of participants and spectators, tallied at over 50,000 in previous years. Your company or community group would also be listed in the Festival guide and have its name broadcast over the course of two days through the loudspeaker system. We are also willing to distribute promotional materials.

Levels of sponsorship are of course negotiable, and the team would be very grateful for any contribution of $1000 or more, with full team naming rights for complete festival sponsorship.

Below are the entry fees for the Toronto International Dragon Boat Festival:

(A) Corporate teams: $2,250.00 + 112.50 GST = $2,362.50
(B) Community teams: $1,550.00 + 77.50 GST = $1,627.50

For an additional cost we could also have custom team shirts created to further promote your organization through the visibility of its name and logo.

If you are interested in this opportunity, please feel free to contact me to discuss it further.

Regards,

James P. Haslam
Captain Big Fish Dragon Boat Club
jphaslam@gmail.com
416-276-3765

Anonymous

February 20 2009, 3:50 PM 

James,
The email was sent to team captains that are racing at the Island.
Do you TRULY believe that WE were the right audience for this request?

Check yourself! Its a fact that paddlers will have to fund themselves this year as most cooperate teams have lost a percentage of their sponsorship dollars.
WE will all have to pay a little more this year.

Good luck with your lofty goals But if you cant meet the expense of racing you should consider cutbacks so that your members can afford to race at prestigious events.

Your response was obnoxious.

Anonymous

February 20 2009, 4:40 PM 

Totally inappropriate to email other DB teams... what's the point. We're all dealing with funding issues ourselves and I doubt any team out there has additional cash/sponsorship that is lying around especially in this economic climate.

Useless email if you ask me. I suspect that it will only fall on deaf ears.

Anonymous

February 20 2009, 5:00 PM 

it is not uncommon to have team members pay $600+ for the privilege of paddling and competing at the highest level against the best teams at the most prestigious events you have to pay. If not fold.

Have you thought of fundraising or increasing the membership dues? The seniors pay for what I have been told a lot more than $500.00.

The end is you play with what you can pay. Look at the USA housing... why buy a half million dollar house when all you can afford is a trailer. Sick within your means, my team is also in need of money, but asking other teams to help in you search in not warranted. Form a committee and go door knocking.

I thought your response to the original post was rude.

James P. Haslam

Final Response

February 20 2009, 5:43 PM 

Now that I have learned a little more about he situation I can appreciate why some of you feel that getting this email was inappropriate. I understand, and to some extent I agree. The email that I wrote, so nicely copied and posted here for all to see, was not intended for those that it has ultimately reached.

(That email includes personal contact information, unfortunately. Forum Moderators, would you mind scrubbing the phone number off this thread, please?)

I had no idea this email was going to be sent to other dragon boat team captains. My impression was that TIDBRF was going to help us find a corporate sponsor, perhaps email some of their festival sponsors that were not already aligned with a team.

For those that felt I was rude or obnoxious, what can I say? If you feel that my response was rude I don't know what would satisfy you. I was about as polite as I could possibly be.

I still think they were trying to do us a good turn so I'm not going to repudiate them. Instead i offer my thanks for trying to help.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, you know how to reach me. (as does everyone else...)

joel

February 21 2009, 1:03 PM 

James P., you have my empathy.

It never ceases to amaze me how this forum can resemble a lynch mob.
"I saw James jump into the water last year, and he floated!"
"He must be a witch!!"
"BURN THE WITCH!!!"

I much prefer the funny posts. Does anyone have a picture of a cat in a silly pose?

Brad

February 21 2009, 4:32 PM 

I really don't see why people have an issue about this. We solicate publically amd privatly for paddlers why should sponsership be any different. It goes without saying that our current economic situations has left alot of teams without a sponser this year. To fund an entire season is already very expensive for those people that do not have the benifit of a solid corporate sponser. This season may be a right off for many independent crews. I certainly hope that Big Fish can aquire funding for the season and the Island. It wouldn't be the same without you James. Also you have a cup to help defend. If there is anything i can do to help you know how to reach me. See you on the water.
Cheers

Anonymous

February 22 2009, 10:43 AM 

I see the reason that has everyone in their neck of the woods, and the bad thing is that the dragon boat community is known to hold grudges for stuff forever. Some are going to be mad at the fact that the TIDBRF is helping your team over their team. Some will be mad that you beat them to it and why did they not do that first. regardless, if you get sponsored by it, good for you and its part of the competitiveness of the sport.

Anonymous

February 23 2009, 8:56 AM 

Hey Joel!

Ask and you shall receive!!!!

[linked image]

Anonymous

February 23 2009, 4:33 PM 

James and BF did nothing wrong here. TIDBF are to blame. It's a managers job to try and get sponsorship. As most of you lnow you need to try everything you can. Good Job James! TIDBF, what the heck are you thinking? This makes me very worried about the management at this festival, not too much thought was put into it on their part.

Anonymous

February 23 2009, 5:05 PM 

Funny cat pic. This is still my all-time favourite:

[linked image]

Anonymous

February 23 2009, 5:13 PM 

And thus the Big Fish sponsorship scandal of 2009 comes to a close.

Anonymous

February 23 2009, 5:16 PM 

The "scandal" ends with a lolcat picture?

Doesn't seem right.

Anonymous

February 24 2009, 9:59 AM 

You're partially right....it shouldn't end this way. It should end like this:

[linked image]

Anonymous

February 24 2009, 12:42 PM 

LOL...that's what lost Big Fish their sponsorship in the first place...

Anonymous

February 25 2009, 12:50 PM 

So what happened to Big Fish and their sponsors from last year. Did the sponsors $$$ jump ship or were they caught up in a net of losses or did the Piranhas eat them up or did they get fed up of being the bridesmaid.

My team is looking for paddlers, any big fishies interested in jumping fish oops ship? we were only 2 secs behind them last year and we have sponsorship

Anonymous

February 25 2009, 1:33 PM 

why is it that pathetic attempts at recruitment aren't followed up by a team name???
is it b/c you don't want to man up and put a name behind that insult?

Anonymous

February 25 2009, 2:04 PM 

Don't feed the troll.

don+t+feed+the+troll

Anonymous

February 25 2009, 3:37 PM 

that Troll looks suspiciously like a Leprechaun.

Current Topic - TIDBRF Big Fish Looking for Sponsorship email  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Water SportsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement