<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Registration Open for Philly Regatta June 5th

February 21 2010 at 6:25 PM

Fellow DB paddlers -

The 4th Annual Independence Dragon Boat Regatta is now accepting team reservations at www.independencedragonboat.com.

As in the past, the regatta benefits Disabled Military Veterans, the Philadelphia Police Athletic League, and the US National Dragon Boat Team.

On June 5th in Philadelphia, novice and experienced teams will race in three 500-meter races in either the Men's, Women's, Mixed, Youth, or BCS Division. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place division winners will receive gold, silver and bronze medals.

Registration includes three free practices steered and coached by members of Team USA.

For more information, and to reserve your team's space, visit www.independencedragonboat.com.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

Re: Registration Open for Philly Regatta June 5th

February 21 2010, 7:31 PM 

"As in the past, the regatta benefits Disabled Military Veterans, the Philadelphia Police Athletic League, and the US National Dragon Boat Team."

What hype. You KNOW that very little of the money went to the first two charities and that most of the money went to the Philly/US team.

Anonymous

February 23 2010, 11:30 AM 

"What hype. You KNOW that very little of the money went to the first two charities and that most of the money went to the Philly/US team."

So what's your problem? The money from this race that does not go to charity goes to support dragon boat racers via the non-profit Philly team, why do you have a problem with that? Are we better off supporting races where the profit goes to some company or individuals? The money goes to the racers including the paddlers they recruit for the US team from out of town. No one is living large off this regatta, the coach doesn't even get a salary, it is a volunteer organization made up of paddlers. The race fees in Philly are reasonable, the race is fun, it is well run by paddlers of the Philly team, they steer boats, officiate, etc. In the weeks leading up to it they have their top level folks coaching the community teams that enter the race. They put a lot of time into this regatta. Having it run by the Philly paddlers means there is no tight ass hired help yelling at you for stupid reasons. The city and the course are great in June.

If you are a US paddler you should want to support your national team (somehow I get the sense you are a US paddler that just doesn't like the Philly team), if you are from Canada you know that Philly and other US teams go up there and support Canadian regattas so what is the big deal?

Anonymous

February 23 2010, 12:26 PM 

The problem is the hype you use to promote your regatta. I have no problem with a regatta that supports a national team. It's a great idea. I DO have a problem when a smaller fraction of money raised goes to two other organizations that you conveniently list first, while most of the money actually goes to U.S. team.

Please tell everyone on this forum what percentage of the proceeds go to each of the three non-profits you listed in your first post.

Non-philly US paddler

February 23 2010, 1:15 PM 

Why does it matter which one gets listed first? It implies nothing. Why does it matter what percentages go where? It is made clear that the race is to support the US team and that part of the proceeds go to charity.

Do you ask every single event (that donates a portion of proceeds to charity) what their donation percentages are? The fact is that someone is running a race to raise money for the US team and is willing to take a cut out from the money they raise for the benefit of a few charities. I think it's great. If you can do better I'd like to see you try...

Anonymous

February 23 2010, 1:36 PM 

"The fact is that someone is running a race to raise money for the US team and is willing to take a cut out from the money they raise for the benefit of a few charities."

Nice spin. Try the truth: "The fact is that someone is running a race to raise money for the US team and is willing to take a TINY cut out from the money they raise for the TINY benefit of a few charities WHILE PLACING THE NATIONAL TEAM LAST IN PROMOTING THE RACES IN ORDER TO GIVE THE INCORRECT IMPRESSION THAT A GOOD CHUNK OF THE MONEY RAISED IS GOING TO MORE DESERVING CHARITIES."

Get it?

Anonymous

February 23 2010, 1:46 PM 

"Do you ask every single event (that donates a portion of proceeds to charity) what their donation percentages are?"

Most events/businesses reveal specifically the amounts donated.

Anonymous

February 23 2010, 2:59 PM 

I get the post clearly. What I probably don't get is why everything related to Philly has to be turned into something sinister.

Where does it say anywhere that the order has anything to do with the importance, emphasis, or main beneficiary of something? If you want to put it that way then someone can also say "well...why not save the best for last?". So in that case then the order is correct?

Also, the title of the race is "Independence Dragonboat Regatta", not "Race for charity" so I still don't see what "hype" there is about this being a charitable event other than listing what the beneficiaries are of this.

Take it easy there with the caps. Looks like someone's going to busy a vein over analyzing a forum post. You can go to the website. There's hardly any emphasis as advertising this race as charity event. It's barely in the fine print.

If there's been anyone tricked into signing up in the past thinking that most of their race fees go to charity then please speak up. I will gladly retract my statement. Until then, relax folks...

Anonymous

February 23 2010, 3:04 PM 

This is not an anti-Philly thing. It's an anti-hype thing.

Anonymous

February 23 2010, 11:09 PM 

Hey Philly, let's repeat the simple request...

Please tell everyone on this forum what percentage of the proceeds go to each of the three non-profits you listed in your first post.

Anonymous

February 24 2010, 12:34 PM 

You know, they could not give ANYTHING to charity at all. How about cutting them some slack?

Anonymous

February 24 2010, 12:40 PM 

Oh good! Another US dragonboat cat fight!

Are MacNamara and Blundetto involved in this festival??

Anonymous

February 24 2010, 1:28 PM 

This thread was DOOMED as soon as the word "Philly" was put in the heading.

Anonymous

February 24 2010, 1:34 PM 

"Hey Philly, let's repeat the simple request...

Please tell everyone on this forum what percentage of the proceeds go to each of the three non-profits you listed in your first post."

Hey anonymous, please identify yourself before demanding that someone responds to your request.

Anonymous

February 24 2010, 7:56 PM 

Philly has had two days to respond to a simple request: how is the money divvied up among the three non-profits?

So far, no response. Why not, Philly?

Anonymous

February 24 2010, 8:00 PM 

"Hey anonymous, please identify yourself before demanding that someone responds to your request."

You post anonymously, yet criticize others for posting anonymously. Yup, that's Philly: two sets of rules.

Anonymous

February 24 2010, 9:33 PM 

"You post anonymously, yet criticize others for posting anonymously. Yup, that's Philly: two sets of rules. "

No, I'm not from Philly. I'm from Toronto. I was only suggesting that someone who is demanding that Philly provide information that the poster has deemed to be of great public importance, should have the courtesy of identifying themselves.

I'm not demanding anything of anyone, so I'm posting anonymously. We've had so much bandwidth on this forum used by anonymous posters attacking Philly, demanding an immediate response, and then pointing out every hour or so that Philly didn't respond.

You get to hide behind an anonymity and self-righteously annoint yourself as the protector of the dragon boat world from the evil Philly. The more you do this, the more sympathy I develop for Philly.

Anonymous

February 24 2010, 9:52 PM 

"Philly has had two days to respond to a simple request: how is the money divvied up among the three non-profits?

So far, no response. Why not, Philly?"

Because we don't respond to anonymous demands. Give us a phone call or send us an e-mail.

Anonymous

February 24 2010, 11:34 PM 

"Because we don't respond to anonymous demands. Give us a phone call or send us an e-mail."

Wait a second. Can you just answer a simple question? You (Philly) responded to hundreds of anonymous posts on this forum over the years (and you've often responded anonymously yourselves). Now all of a sudden, you don't answer questions from anonymous posters?

Anonymous

February 25 2010, 1:50 AM 

Well, 'over the years' I don't believe we've answered a post regarding our team's finances. Again, feel free to call or e-mail if you see a problem with our donations to charity. We'd be happy to clear up any issues! :-D

Anonymous

February 25 2010, 10:07 AM 

What are you hiding, Philly? This is not about your teams' finances. This is about how much you give to the other charities. No one is even asking for the exact amounts. Just the percentages.

Anonymous

February 25 2010, 10:14 AM 

"Well, 'over the years' I don't believe we've answered a post regarding our team's finances."

Is that so? I do recall Philly telling us on this forum many times that their coach gets no salary. So you've had no problem telling us about that part of your teams' finances.

Two sets of rules...

Anonymous

February 25 2010, 11:24 AM 

I suspect that what we've got here is a single person hammering at Philly to divulge information they'd like to see. For the rest of us, this gets tiresome. Don't think you're successfully making any points by repeatedly criticizing Philly for not responding. I've got a lot more sympathy for Philly now, if this is the type of attack they face on a regular basis.

Anonymous

February 25 2010, 12:28 PM 

Sympathy guy:

There is no attack here. Just a simple question that is being refused to be answered for some reason. The Philly guys read these boards all the time and post very quickly when it suits them. That's why it seems strange that they are suddenly holding back info. Not sure why you'd be sympathetic to a club that won't reveal how it doles out money to charities.

Sympathy Guy

February 25 2010, 1:56 PM 

"Not sure why you'd be sympathetic to a club that won't reveal how it doles out money to charities. "

Just because they won't respond to an anonymous post on a Canadian dragon boat website, doesn't mean they won't provide information about allocation of funds to charities.

Give them a call. If you hit a brick wall there, you can come back and complain on the Forum.

Exchanging anonymous messages on a public forum is not generally considered to be the best way of engaging in communication.

Anonymous

February 25 2010, 3:21 PM 

Anonymity has its advantages. It allows very open discussion of issues because the fear of retribution is take away.

When we vote for elected government officials in the U.S. and Canada, we do so anonymously. No one has a problem with that!

Eli

February 25 2010, 3:23 PM 

Hey now..... A festival is a festival and we went last year to this race. great venue and the community is great too. hospitality the way it should be. We would do it again some day.

Anonymous

February 25 2010, 3:30 PM 

Eli,

No one is criticizing the races/venue. The question is only about where the money collected goes because Philly implies that they donate a significant portion to two other causes aside from to those who make the U.S. national premier teams.

Anonymous

February 25 2010, 7:19 PM 

"When we vote for elected government officials in the U.S. and Canada, we do so anonymously. No one has a problem with that!"

Yeah, but you only get to vote once. I could live with anonymity if you only got to whine about Philly once. It is the constant barrage of the same message that gets tedious.

Clearly you've got some sort of hate on for Philly. Just don't expect that by you constantly telling everyone that, that they'll all come around to your attitude.

You've made your point. Now move on.

Anonymous

February 25 2010, 8:58 PM 

No hate for Philly, per se. I just don't like to see any organization use other worthy causes to hype their own event -- and that's seems to be what Philly is doing here. The organizer's reluctance to reveal the break-down of donations only increases that suspicion.

Anonymous

February 25 2010, 11:24 PM 

"No hate for Philly, per se. I just don't like to see any organization use other worthy causes to hype their own event -- and that's seems to be what Philly is doing here. The organizer's reluctance to reveal the break-down of donations only increases that suspicion."

Do you think the Veterans association and the youth group that are the other beneficiaries of this event think they are being used? Have they been forced into what you see as an "unholy" alliance with Philly? They get money for their charity with NO,ZERO,NONE,ZILCH risk or effort on their part and you are pissing and moaning here because it might not be "enough" to pass your personal test of Philly's motivations. You really think we believe you are a noble slayer of organizations who use "hype" when you are so pathetically transparent in your attempt to discredit Philly?

I don't know all the facts but I did at the race see a $5000 or so check go to the Veterans group, I know the PAL (Police Athletic League) youth group had 4 teams of inner city kids entered in the race at no charge and that the Philly team coached these kids on their free time ahead of the race and that the parents of these kids were very proud of them on race day. Not sure if they got funds too but they certainly did get something of value to those kids. This is a high level team raising money to compete at a high level AND helping out the community and here you are tearing them down. The kind of stuff they are doing is good for them to support their racers but it is also great for the sport and the reputation of dragon boaters as a community.

Tell us what your dragon boat team does for the community, what charity your team supports and, if you do any of this, then tell us that you don't then use this to "hype" your team. Otherwise crawl back into your hole.

Anonymous

February 26 2010, 8:43 AM 

$5000 (assuming that's correct) to a Vets group is a fine gesture. And that fine gesture is being exploited, since the organizer lists the U.S. National team as the third beneficiary. In reality, with at least 50 paid teams participating in the event, the U.S. National team is collecting many multiples of $5000 even after paying the costs of the event.

When the organizer lists the U.S. National team as the third beneficiary (here and on its website), the implication is that the U.S. team collects no more than the other two charities, and likely less. That is deceptive because it's clearly not the case. The organizer likely intended this; the leadership of the Philly team are very bright people.

Anonymous

February 26 2010, 10:39 AM 

At least back then the Philly bashing was somewhat entertaining. This thread is just stupid and boring.

Current Topic - Registration Open for Philly Regatta June 5th  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Water SportsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement