July 6 2012 at 11:40 AM
Anonymous 

so, who`s showing up this year ??

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

Re: MIDBRF 2012 PREDICTIONS

July 6 2012, 11:48 AM 

MIDBRF is scaled down this year...lots of local teams not coming from 22Dragons and H20. However, they should still get close to 100 teams (still plenty from out of town), which might actually be a blessing in disguise. With fewer teams they might actually run things more efficiently.

It`s not the competitive event it once was, but it`s still a good time for community teams and out of town teams who want to party.

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 12:09 PM 

the only way to save midbrf:

-more organization!
-toronto teams to show up! (slipstream, ocean 1, warriors, CSDC and also the community teams!)
-DCH + MAD + phillys

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 12:28 PM 

Really bad this year. Even H20 and 22D joint force to make Montreal Challenge. (Hopefully not take away MIDBRF) I like midbrf. they just have bad organizer and they just had one bad year of the 16 times.

Should hire back Sunny.

Montreal Mix will take 500m. DCH might takes the 200m.

There are alot of decent teams too.

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 12:40 PM 

Participated last year in this regatta. Myself and the rest of the team swore never to comeback to this regatta. It was a disaster. When I talk to other Toronto team captains and paddlers I tell them to stay away from this one.

If they hire GWN to run this regatta, I would reconsider coming back.

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 1:00 PM 

Any specific reasons...? Rather than just stating your opinion, it's a lot more useful to other teams if you give supporting arguments.

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 1:00 PM 

^ Which team are u?

last month, only 25 teams registered. it may be too early. i dont know. dch prob going to come back since their festival is alot worse that montreal

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 3:11 PM 

MIDBRF is definitely not the most organized bunch. Could take some notes from GWN, Ottawa, or even lively dragon regattas.

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 3:47 PM 

No. I believe 22D runs a festival better than Ottawa or GWN. Let Montrealers handle it.

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 5:52 PM 

Last year MIDBRF lost all Saturday results.

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 5:59 PM 

5:52, what do you mean? They're computer crashed and lost the data?

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 9:16 PM 

Seems obvious to me the Matts and H2O are conspiring to sabatoge the festival for financial gain. Not saying there's anything wrong with that. Business is business. But it is plain to see.

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 11:28 PM 

^ As a Montrealers. True Story.

Anonymous

July 6 2012, 11:49 PM 

MIDBRF kind of deserve it for hiring Jimmy with no experience.

Anonymous

July 7 2012, 3:08 AM 

Montreal Mix Will not be participating this year due to most of its girls still being in Hong Kong.

Verdun Express or DCH will take the crown this year in the mixed.

The festival, with all its issues, will survive.

Anonymous

July 15 2012, 3:43 PM 

The first schedule is out. Man only 60ish teams

It sounds like all H20 teams boycotted the event. (about 30~ teams) .. and then a few elite team arent there cause they are still at HK or vacation.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 12:24 AM 

Wow there really is no competition at all this year. Why did the H2O teams boycott the event?

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 8:33 AM 

Link, please.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 9:58 AM 

Montreal has been an absolute disaster for years, and the last 2 years especially since sunny has left.

The problems at last year's event were worse than ever. Most Friday races were cancelled, race program atrocious, etc..

Nearly all 22dragons teams except a handful stopped going years ago, and H20 had had enough. Oddly, the race is popular among out of town teams, but the locals hate it.

People have been trying to help them for years, but they've managed to ignore and refuse all advice. So long as the board get their photo op with the mayor they are happy.

I'm sad to see the event falling apart, but it's been a long time coming.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 10:22 AM 

I wonder if Montreal and New York notice their similarities?

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 10:32 AM 

Montreal can't compare to how shitty New York is...

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 10:34 AM 

I remember a while back when MIDBRF was one of the top regattas that attracted most top level teams from Toronto and even some teams out west. Sad to see this regatta die out.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 11:20 AM 

Montreal as a race stopped being awesome when the scoreboard stopped working. The town itself however is still one of the best. That and the race fees are cheap for out of town teams looking to get away.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 11:50 AM 

"Nearly all 22dragons teams except a handful stopped going years ago, and H20 had had enough. Oddly, the race is popular among out of town teams, but the locals hate it.

People have been trying to help them for years, but they've managed to ignore and refuse all advice. So long as the board get their photo op with the mayor they are happy. "

All this is True

The reason I believe local hates it is .. they have to pay 1000-1700$ for just one team. 550$ for student, hence they still came back. And it's only 440$ for American.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 11:58 AM 

I don't really care about elite teams. but I like to see more teams.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 2:23 PM 

So who is favored to make A based on the teams that are attending? Predictions?

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 3:17 PM 

DCH is going to take it all.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 4:30 PM 

1) DCH
2) Verdun Express
3)4) The Alumni/Raging Beast!
5) Bananaship Competitive
6) Who care. who knows.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 5:27 PM 

DCH first? How sad this competition has become.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 5:31 PM 

not sad. wrong place wrong time.

Here's the July DB schedule

July 15 - Montreal Challenge
July 20,21,22 - MIDBRF
July 28,29 - National

oh, Hong Kong before too. like around July 4 to July 8. 22Dragons sent at least one team in all categories except junior.

Anonymous

July 16 2012, 11:31 PM 

So? DCH also sent many taems

Anonymous

July 17 2012, 7:52 AM 

montreal fest this year is a troll fest.

better to just not go at all!

No A teams, no B teams, only C teams...

Anonymous

July 17 2012, 9:30 AM 

little did you know...DCH has been in A division.

Anonymous

July 17 2012, 9:35 AM 

A Division? Where? Certainly not in a competitive regatta.

Anonymous

July 17 2012, 9:47 AM 

It will still be a fun time for all those community and rookie teams. DCH still sends a bunch of teams because they enjoy it way more than their own event...which is by far the worst one out there. As a FESTIVAL, it still serves its purpose. Hopefully with approx 80 teams this year, the organizers will have some control. One upside is that they`re not going 6 boats accross...so no heavy lane 6.

Anonymous

July 17 2012, 11:55 AM 

it's true. if you're an A team in Toronto, this regatta is probably pointless for you. But for all the lower B and down teams, there's a bunch of teams with similar times which makes this fun for them.

besides, who doesn't want to visit Montreal. PARTY!

Anonymous

July 17 2012, 2:08 PM 

so it's official, montreal is gong-show party festival who the f*k cares.

except.... it costs $1000.

Anonymous

July 21 2012, 7:00 PM 

So far. This year is extremely organized. Except lacking a commentaries

Anonymous

July 21 2012, 7:09 PM 

It's actually happening?

Anonymous

July 21 2012, 8:18 PM 

Why not happy.gif

Anonymous

July 22 2012, 9:53 AM 

Much easier to be organized with 60teams...

Anonymous

July 22 2012, 11:25 PM 

Yup DCH took it all this year... they are unstoppable!

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 8:31 AM 

DCH are unstoppable when the talent pool is super shallow, only. An average crew at a below average regatta.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 10:10 AM 

^ You think you are so good do you? Mind telling me what team you are in?

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 10:21 AM 

"You think you are so good do you? Mind telling me what team you are in?"

DCH

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 10:25 AM 

DCH crushed Verdun!

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 10:35 AM 

It is pretty much known that DCH is the team to represent the East Coast. need to step it up another level to be 1st in the world.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 10:39 AM 

"DCH crushed Verdun!"

Behave yourself. You might want to be a little more specific, blowhard.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 10:40 AM 

Please stop trying to antagonize other teams pretending to be from DCH.

Verdun is well respected by them and other Montreal crews.

Continue your folly on the other threads here.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 10:50 AM 

Although there were significantly fewer teams this year, the Festival was more organized and ran more efficiently than in years. They were actually ahead of schedule for much of the time. A couple of small hiccups yesterday were fixed quickly.
Say what you will, but the Mtl Festival is still a unique event in the local scene and a great experience for rookie and community teams. How could it not be when almost every single division gets medals and trophies for the top 3 spots?
Hopefully they can start to grow again...but not too much.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 10:59 AM 

For most of the USA teams it's one of the more popular racing destinations.

Relatively short travel time. Rich city night life. Man made race course.

Great people and crews.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 11:32 AM 

That was Verdun's "B" team Express that was there btw...

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 11:43 AM 

Verdun Express has competed well in Montreal for years and have made it to A finals several times.

Putting them as a B crew is an understatement.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 12:35 PM 

DCH. I don't know which member you are .. Why are you so arrogant?

Yesterday, I talked with a few paddlers on your 'A' team. They were nice. Don't be that way. You seems to be in the Lake Mercer team.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 12:47 PM 

DCH should stick to these local events rather than getting spanked silly at the CCWC this past month.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 1:30 PM 

**** off... I'm sure you guys are all New York teams anyway. Just work harder.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 2:18 PM 

yeah.... Most likely someone from Catch/MAD/WSD. They have been trying to get to DCH's level for a while and keep getting their *** handed to them.

Empire Person

July 23 2012, 2:31 PM 

let's not drag this thread down any further. No one here can tell who is posting, best to ignore it and not give it any energy to haters.

The relationship with New York Teams have improved and not like they were in the past. Anyone foolish enough to believe in all this drivel

here is a fool and should ignore the hate and jealously. Just show up and race, doesn't matter who is there or not.

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 2:32 PM 

Who would want to be at DCH's level? A team that chooses to cheat when possible to gain an advantage. What a way to teach your young paddlers!

Anonymous

July 23 2012, 7:41 PM 

We don't cheat. We just practice more and understand the sports much better.

Anonymous

July 24 2012, 9:52 AM 

Having known the DCH club for several years, my opinion is that they set the standard for sportsmanship and great character. Nobody is perfect, but our world of dragon boating would be a much better place if more teams followed their example.
I hope they continue to come to the Montreal Festival for years to come.

Anonymous

July 24 2012, 6:37 PM 

I'm curious - what examples of "cheating" are we talking about here? In the past (I'm talking 5-10 years ago), at least at the NY swamp race, DCH had the notorious reputation of always trying to get a running start off the line, holding up the starts, etc.. They would also show very poor sportsmanship by accusing other teams of cheating if they didn't win.

Not sure if they're exactly the "standard" for sportsmanship, character, etc. Maybe they've turned things around in recent years. Nonetheless, props to them for holding their own amongst US teams... (yes, I know it apparently doesn't mean much to the majority of this board).

Anonymous

July 24 2012, 8:41 PM 

DCH is alot more nicer ... and I mean: alot more. Maybe these forums troll need a life.

Anonymous

July 24 2012, 9:13 PM 

anon 6:37

Depending on which side of the fence you were on, the accusations or rumors can be directed to the other crew who was slagging DCH on this forum as well.

But we all know this forum is full of truths all the time.

I think DCH knows the battle is not won here but on the water. So let your racing do your talking.

Casual observer from the USA side

July 24 2012, 11:30 PM 

"Depending on which side of the fence you were on, the accusations or rumors can be directed to the other crew who was slagging DCH on this forum as well."

I highly doubt there is any one specific crew who was "slagging" DCH here. If any DCH paddler is on the witch hunt for who made these anonymous comments about, you'd probably be surprised how many people feel the same way. The reputation of their club inside and outside of the NY community is very different. As individuals they are all pretty nice but as a club it's always been a different story. Discredit anon 6:37 all you want, but all he/she is doing is presenting his/her observations and in a much less juvenile manner than many others posters.

There's no point even listing all the incidents in which DCH has done something broken/bent the rules to crews that I have paddled on or other crews I have spoken to. If they can get away with these things, good for them--their strategy worked. The blame is on the officiating. DCH itself is a gigantic sponsor. They send 5 crews to even smaller regattas in the US. They probably will get their way. But please do not try to plan innocent.

I like how a few posts above the fellow DCH paddler tries to guess which team is making these accusations towards them. You immediately assume that anything negative about your crew is coming from some of your closer competitors. No one is discrediting that you guys are one of the fastest and hardest working teams in NY and the US but I do not think that's the issue most teams have. The fact of the matter is, their crew as a whole present a very negative and unwelcoming vibe towards other NY crews. Your assumptions that anything negative about you has to come from your top three competitors proves exactly that. Most of these posters probably aren't even American.

I've tried to stay out of this thread and not bother posting but the ******** personalities on this thread ranging from the childish remarks to the annoyingly protective "let your paddling do the talking" comments prevent any honest opinions from seeing the light of day.

Anonymous

July 24 2012, 11:45 PM 

Sounds like a philly paddler...

Anonymous

July 25 2012, 1:34 AM 

Sounds like a philly paddler...

Not even close, why would Philly have a beef with DCH? Flushing? Years ago? Everyone tried to cheat at Flushing, you were stupid if you didn't as the officiating was a wee bit lax. That was many moons ago, last time Philly was there was around 2005. Since then they only occasionally cross paths in Montreal or Ithaca and have always been friendly towards one another. Philly just doesn't do that many races on the club circuit.

Anonymous

July 25 2012, 10:43 AM 

"Everyone tried to cheat at Flushing, you were stupid if you didn't"

That's class right there.

Anonymous

July 25 2012, 12:18 PM 

It's the American way.

anonymouliketherest

about Verdun vs DCH and organization

July 25 2012, 12:35 PM 

I'm a montreal and have been racing in this festival for some time.

about the verdun vs dch that one individual (probably doesn't know much about teams) said were "crushed". That was Verdun Express... their "b" team. And I'm saying a "b" team because they say they are a "b" team. Judging on past results (sometimes in b sometimes in a finals) I would say they are a B+ team or A- team. DCH doesn't come any close to their "a" team, Adrenaline. Case closed

about the midbrf organization. Someone pointed out that many times, many pple or organisation offered help and the chinese community also refused. This is their weak point. They always thought they could do it, always thought they were too good at it.
If you look at the booklet, there are over 30 "directors" in the MIDBRF organization. This is probably part of the problem... they all want a piece of the pie.
On the saturday, they were 15 minutes ahead of time... and stopped everything just to get back on their schedule ! I've never seen this in any festival...
And on the Sunday.. official schedule was to have the first race after lunch break at 13h00..... well the first race was only at 14h00. Sure they had to re race two waves but come on, it doesn'T explain why they were an running late.

The (I hope) only reasons americans and out of town teams come is because of the cheap (very cheap) rates offered. The level is higher at H2O open and especially at the Quebec Cup. Organization is way better, much more efficient. Sure there are less "animation", food outlets and what not... but do you go to compete or to party ? MIDBRF is a festival... others are competition/races.

One is for community teams... others have community, premier, senior and sports division.
One is not dbc sanctionned... others are.

This is how teams make their selection.... oh and also by the dumbness of the fees structure

Anonymous

July 25 2012, 3:19 PM 

To: 12:35pm
I was a paddler:

On Saturday. They were indeed 15 mins ahead. They did stop the races because it was lunch time. And let it flow back on time. (This happens on Summer Splash and QC Cup before)

On Sunday. Why did they start the race an hour late. Here's the real reason. The foods DID NOT ARRIVED on time for the volunteers. When the foods did arrived foods have to be split. (Chinese foods bro). They are volunteers. They dont get paid. They are doing a favour for you.
(I knew the volunteers)

And stop complaining about the fees. It's cheap, it's medal-friendly. It's exactly how you build a team to slowly grow out into Sport team. (At least for the future)

H20 and QC Cup arent medal friendly. Hence why Students team do not show us much interest
(We arent interested in beers)

Anonymous

July 25 2012, 5:21 PM 

When did student team's become important?

Anonymous

July 25 2012, 5:23 PM 

The moment when NDRC beated Verdun and Slipstream.

Ben

July 25 2012, 6:08 PM 

The previous post left a bad taste as I'm sure it will be construed as originating from an NDRC paddler. Though I cannot guarantee that it is not from NDRC, I can state emphatically that this comment is not reflective of our members' attitudes in general.

IMO, student teams are very important to the paddling community, but NDRC Premier is not a student team, and I doubt our own members would be confused about this obvious fact.

anonymouliketherest

July 25 2012, 6:35 PM 

At anonymous 3h19

So you are saying they stopped the festival because the food did not get there on time for the volounteers?
Far be it from me to say anything against the volounteers as I have been a long long time ago, however, there is such a thing as COMMUNICATION.

Someone, anyone, could have taken the mic and said : "we apologize, however, due to a situation beyong our control the festival will be running an hour late" or better yet how about telling the truth ?

Just goes to show... a festival organized by a bunch of chinese restaurants owners can't even get food delivered on time to their volounteers.

Go figure why pple are not interested in this festival at all !

Anonymous

July 25 2012, 8:48 PM 

OMG Ponies!

Anonymous

July 25 2012, 11:30 PM 

To anon 6:35

Maybe one little statement is all they are missing.
I guess next time, you can walk up and talk to the staff.

OMG Ponies, Y U NO SHOW UP?

Anonymous

February 8 2013, 5:27 AM 

By the way, just to point out: it's true that the food was late, but the volunteers themselves were all ready to work, more specifically those working on the docks. I would know, I was one. It's not like we refused to work until we ate, we were actually waiting for the signal to start the races, but for some reason it was stalled. Go figure MIDBRF system.

Current Topic - MIDBRF 2012 PREDICTIONS  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Water SportsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement