<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

junk or jewel?

October 19 2006 at 9:23 PM
mike  (Login mike1899)

I received this pocket watch from my grandmother. Although it was in a original Glashuetten case, there is no clear indication that the watch is indeed a Glashuetten watch. The only hint there is, are the engraved letters left and right of the "12" on the face. Any suggestions or educated guesses?

Thanks,
Mike.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

PeterCDE
(Login pc01)

What´s the brand name?

October 19 2006, 10:56 PM 

G'day,

the picture don´t allow for more than a guess, but the dial and movement remind of a swiss piece rather than a watch from one of the Glashuette brands then.

The most promising way to unravel might be the engravings in the case and movement. At least these may allow to determine where the case and movement origin from, because gold hallmarks are different for swiss and german cases.

What´s written inside the box?
The "G inside triangle" is clearly visible, but the rest is not. Is it a box by the maker or the retailer/jeweller?

There have been some dozen brands starting with "G" in Germany then, with many more all over the world.
Therefore narrowing down on Glashuette might be to early and more input would be very helpful to determine what it is.

Greetings from Germany,

Peter

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

Additionally, I think the engravings at the 12 to be purely ornamental -nt

October 24 2006, 4:15 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   
mike
(Login mike1899)

more detail

October 28 2006, 8:22 AM 

Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I have uploaded higher res pics. It could very well be that the case does not belong to the watch, but was just used to store it. As far as the engravings are concerned, these could be just ornamental. However, the letter left of the 12 could also be interpreted as a "G", and the one right of the 12 as an "O". Or is the left letter just a mirror image of the left letter?

As you can see there is a "P&B" stamped inside the watch. What could this mean?

Thanks,
mike

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page