<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

GO Senator Calendar Week

October 22 2006 at 9:08 AM
zmxu  (Login zmxu)
Trading Zone

At the 2006 Basel, Glashutte Original announced a few more models based on Caliber 100, including the Senator Calendar Week. Since then, the unique functions of this watch have generated attention from the industry and collectors worldwide, as it is one of very few watches (as far as I can remember, only Vacheron Constantin has a similar watch) that can specifically indicate which week among the 52 weeks in a year.

I, however, didnt pay much attention to this watch, not only is this function not so useful in my part of world but I hardly had knowledge about its mechnism, until my recent visit to GO during which Dr. Frank Muller gave me a specific introduction about this watch. So I asked Mr. Rene Marx to provide me with more details of its mechanism. In the following, you will see two pages of details description of this watch:

I would like to thank Dr. Muller and Mr. Marx for introducing me to this very interesting and collectable timepiece.

Thanks for looking

Zhiming Xu

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Art
(Login Drabble)
Brand Forum Moderators

Perhaps G O should coin the term "intercalendar" . . .

October 22 2006, 9:21 AM 

. . . for this rare complication . . . cordially, Art

Respond to this message   
Art
(Login Drabble)
Brand Forum Moderators

Oh, and I believe Mühle . . .

October 22 2006, 9:24 AM 

. . . also has (or had) a similar complication . . . Art

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

Yes and no. There are several calendar week displays on the market ...

October 24 2006, 4:12 AM 

... even the private label producer Epos has one, if I remember correctly. Other are/were from Kelek, Nivrel, Breitling (?) etc. Now Lange, too, has presented one. However, there is a huge difference with the new GO mechanism: All previous display used conventional pointers, so it is no problem to switch from 52 to 1. GO is the only manufacturer ever to make a big display with separate disks for the tens and single digits. And there it is indeed a huge challenge to switch from 52 to 1.

Please note that even in perpetual calendars with big dates, the disk for the single digits either rests where it is (when switching from a 31st to the 1st of a month), switches one (from 30 to 1), twice (in leap years: from 29th of February to 1st of March), or three times (February 28th to March 1) at most. Even the latter consumes a considerable amount of enery, and many watches have to distribute the complete switching process over about several hours so that the sudden energy consumption does not affect the watch's timekeeping.

In GO's calendar week, the single digit disk has to switch nine times in a row! Every normal watch movement would inevitably stop to operate, fully exhausted. The typically ingenious way of the GO developpers was to integrate another spring barrel, used exclusively to power these nine switching operations. The normal movement is building up enough energy to power the daily switch of the panorama date, but also to the weekly switch of the week numer. As is not surprising, it delivers a lot more energy than needed for that, and a part of it is used to build up the tension within that special spring barrel, so that there is enough energy saved to conclude the "big switch", without affecting the watch movement's own power reserve. This is really, really clever!

Regards,
Marcus

Respond to this message   
Simon Christen
(Login Simonas)

52 or 53 weeks

October 24 2006, 12:53 PM 

Is this a perpetual calendar week mechanism that "knows" when a year has 52 weeks and when it has 53 weeks? Or does it always count up to week 53 before changing to week 1?

Regards,
Simon

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

This would need far more than a simple perpetual calendar ...

October 27 2006, 8:06 AM 

A so-called "perpetual" calendar incorporates a mechanical programme for four years; three of which are identical, only the last one being a leap year and different. The correct calculation of years with 52 and those with 53 weeks would need a lot more calculation and mechanics: ONly those years beginning with a thursday (or a wednesday, if it is a leap year) have 53 instead of 52 weeks. This is the case every 28 years, if I calculated correctly. The last 53-weeks year having been 2004, the next won't be before 2032.

Best regards,
Marcus

Respond to this message   
Simon Christen
(Login Simonas)

Should be much simpler

October 28 2006, 8:34 AM 

Thank you for your answer. I'm sorry that I misleadingly used the word "perpetual" in my post above. I didn't mean to imply that the Senator Calendar Week is anything like a perpetual calendar or that such a mechanism would be needed to determine whether a year has 52 or 53 weeks.
In fact, the Senator's combination of day, weekday and calendar week is all that is needed. The rule is as follows:
If on Sunday of the 52nd week the day is the 26th or 27th, the next week number is 53. In all other cases the next week number is 1.
Even without that the Senator Calendar Week is truly a great watch.

Regards,
Simon

Respond to this message   
JC
(Login JCY88)
PP Discussion Group

A First?!

October 25 2006, 6:16 PM 

This must be the first wrist watch (or any watch) with a double "Big Date Display" right? I can only think of a small number of brands with a Big Date function and certain none with 2 Big Digit Displays.

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)
Brand Forum Moderators

Yes, I think you are correct. - nt

October 27 2006, 8:07 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page