<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New to Breguet

October 25 2006 at 12:42 AM
Makram  (Login mdmak)

I'm a new watch collector and considering several watches for my next purchase. Of course, I can only buy one at this time. So I'm doing my due diligence. My question to all of you is "why should I go for a Breguet? Why do you own a Breguet?" Many thanks in advance for any insights and inspiration.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
lutz
(no login)

why?

October 25 2006, 11:34 AM 

hello,
I only can answer for myself,Your and others' possible motives to decide on a Breguet can of course be quite different.
Although there are other companies with better resale value of certain rare timepieces,a more solid history within the last 150 years,still family owned and not owned by a big industrial conglomerate and with a more homogenous movement-line,there are still motives to buy a Breguet IMO.
Of course the aspect of the watch is the first thing most people go for when they decide on their first proper timepiece purchase.Breguet is not easily surpassed in this way,although the number of interesting swiss watches with fine dial design is growing bigger and bigger every year.

Hardly ANY watch brand has this continuity in design as Breguet(at least since Chaumet re-created the classic ALB pocket watch dial designs as models for their modern wrist watches),although Breguet at Basel this year was disappointing for me,hardly any convincing elegant new watch like the classics created in the 90ies.Let's see if they can find their superior style again in coming models.
The timeless elegance of the guilloche and enamel dials of their Classique line still is singular.

With the Tradition they designed and created at last a totally new movement and a true eye-catcher on the wrist.No other watch company can offer a movement of this originality.

Finally Breguet would not be Breguet without THIS history.I believe most people buying a Breguet read or heard about the singular and romantic origin of the company in the storms of the French revolution with the probably greatest genius in watchmaking and watch design as founder and the names of all the European aristocracy and admiralty as owners,kings and queens,dukes,counts and admirals- while fighting their terrible battles on the fields of Europe between Waterloo and Moscow these oponents shared the same watches:Breguet.Napoleon and King George as well as the russian Tsar,Marie Antoinette and -no probably not Robbespierre but-Josef Fouché they all wore Breguet's watches.
"Breguet watches changed the face of timepieces WHILE THEIR OWNERS DID THE SAME TO EUROPE:Whoever clung to power between 1785 and 1824-years that the novelist Stendhal considered more monumental than the previous 2000-also clung to a Breguet pocket watch.Stendhal did.So,too,most of the Continent's aristocracy.The mightiest nobles timed battles,hunts,and amorous rendevous to the muted chimes of a Breguet..."

kind regards,
Lutz

Respond to this message   
Bob L.
(Login R.S.L.)
AP Discussion Group

Simple beauty

October 25 2006, 6:49 PM 

As already noted, there are other brands that surpass Breguet measuring by certain criteria. Patek Philippe and even Rolex, for example, have a more continuous and independent history than Breguet. Other brands have higher resale value. Some companies (like JLC) manufacture more of their own movements.

But, to me, what attracts me to Breguet is the remarkable beauty of its watches. Unlike some others on these boards, I do not own any true "haute horlogerie" pieces -- no perpetual calendars or tourbillons or the like in my collection. The funds aren't there. In terms of simple timepieces, however, Breguets are wonderfully executed, achieving what I hope will be timeless beauty.

I currently own two Breguets. The first is a yellow gold 5140 -- the classique automatic with an enamel dial. The simple dial, with hand-painted numerals, is just beautiful. And the casework, including the characteristic Breguet ribbing, is equally wonderful. It is a watch, I think, that will never go out of style. My second Breguet is the ultra-thin 5157 in white gold. Again, what strikes me first about this watch is its dial; a remarkable guilloche dial, wonderfully executed. It is so simple, but on close inspection, remarkably sharp and detailed. And the 5157 also provides a view of the wonderfully finished Piguet-based caliber with a guilloche rotor. Really very nice.

There are plenty of other beautiful watches out there. Patek's Calatravas are wonderful; Langes are beautiful; Vacheron is making a line of beautiful dress watches; and there are many, many others. But of these, it is the Breguet style, combining wonderful casework, beautiful dials, and elegant hands that attracts me the most. Knowing that there is a nicely executed movement inside is also a plus (though the wonderful Piguet calibers in my two Breguets are not superior, to my knowledge, to the movements used in any of the other watches I have mentioned).

In other words, I just like them.

Regards,
Bob

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page