<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Collecting Luxury watches

October 26 2006 at 11:51 PM
Brian  (no login)

I have attended a watch cocktail party(JLC) once and I'm quite amazed there's so many purists around in Singapore.

On the other hand, I have also observed in this forum, there are purists seem to be everywhere and collected quite a few brands of watches (eg. IWC, JLC,Breguet, Patek, A. Lange etc.). Each watch usually cost at least $5k-10k at the minimum and go up to a million or above , I'm finding hard time keeping up such 'expensive' hobbies and was wondering how you guys manage to cope with it. I was thinking either you guys are already 'millionaires' or very successful corporate guns (eg. CFO, CEO) or businessmen. Can I get some ansers from your survey?

1) Your Age Group
(a) 18-25
(b) 26-30
(c) 31-35
(d) 36-40
(e) above 40

2) How much on average you spend on each watch?

3) How many watches have you collected so far?

4) How much(in percentage %) do you spend on watches from your monthly or annual income?

5) How frequent do you buy a new watch(eg. monthly, quarterly?

6) How many watches do you collect in a calendar year?

7) What is the total value of the watch you have spent so far? (need not answer if too sensitive)

8) What's your top.10 brands you have collected or you already owned?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
mukesh
(no login)

we like very fancy luxurywatches

November 3 2006, 8:22 AM 

we want fancy & luxury watch, i don't compromise with my choice. as have you fancy executive watch, you contect me

Respond to this message   
Watchout72
(no login)

Like all other "collecting" ...

November 26 2006, 10:37 PM 

The main drive is the interest and what keeps you happy.

There is no need to be a "millionaire" or be a "corporate big gun" to be a happy watch collector. There will be watches that are within your means and will make you smile and make you want to own it. But to answer your questions:
1) above 40
2) this depends - my collection ranges from USD1,000 to USD45,000. I would not like to look at the averages - there are watches that warrant the high end of the range.
3) more than 100 (quite a few are pocketwatches) - I have been at it for some years now.
4) again it would'nt be quite as fun if collecting means looking at it this way. But it should be kept within what you can afford and what you are comfortable with.
5) there are times I go without a new addition for months and there are times when I acquire three or four pieces a month
6) like above - it is difficult to quantify - but for this year - I took in 11 new pieces
7) honestly, I do not know - nor do I want to find out
8) "Top Brands" are subjective - but I have the usual - for watches, PP, Breguet, AP, Lange, FPJ, Chopard, JLC,...; for pocketwatches, American watches such as Hamilton, Ball, Gruen, Waltham, Elgin, Illinois, non-american, PP, VC, Zenith, Longines ..

As you can see I collect rather haphazardly but as I said as long as it is a watch that makes me smile and I can afford it - then. Another thing - I do not "flip" my watches as I believe when I buy it it should mean something to me. For me collecting is not about making a return or making windfall in the future. My collection probably would not even make the original "investment" and I accept that. I will probably not be able to wear (use) all my watches till the end of my days but it is alright I just love to take them out now and then to touch, wind and enjoy.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page