<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

USNAVCOMMSTA, Asmara

March 24 2002 at 7:50 PM
No score for this post
Tony Rhodes  (Login Wv_Wild)

My name is Tony Rhodes, I was a Shore Patrol member in 73 at the USNAVCOMMSTA, Asmara in 1972. I just wanted to drop by and say hi to all of the folks that were a part of my life in those days. I did a lot of growing up at Kagnew, you know, 18 years old, first time away, etc, etc. Asmara was a hugh part of my life and I think about the folks there, both US and the nationals often.
If anyone was there during my stay, please feel free to contact me at the email listed. Thanks

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Carl O. Akers
(no login)

I was there in 1972-1973 (Stratcom Facility)

Score 1.0 (1 person)
April 28 2002, 2:35 AM 

I too was there during your stay at Kagnew Station. I too was only 18 years old when I arrived at the site. I worked in the telephone exchange building on base until they transfered me to tract "b". There was a couple of Navy Sebees that took over my job there at the telephone exchange. I was even one of the people that maned the walls watching out for so-called terrists that want to attack Kagnew at the end of 1973. Three months before I left for Germany, I helped take down the telephone cables on base. I got married at that time to a young Ethiopian Woman whom had my child. I stated with her for ten years after Kagnew. I have married three Ethiopian Women since then and, I have three sons. Ishmael, Benjamin, and Eric. At the present time, I'm a disabled veteran. I suffer from Complex Partial Seizures, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. To this day I haven't found anyone whom remembers me and, I haven't seen any of my friends from Kagnew Station. They seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Thank you for reading this reply.

John Sabato
(Login John-Sabato)

Check your email Carl!

No score for this post
May 23 2002, 1:54 PM 

I just sent you a message...

John Sabato
(STRATCOM 72-73 - Tract B - Crypto)

John P. Lopes
(no login)

Remembering

No score for this post
May 1 2002, 9:38 PM 

I was the Senior Enlisted Advisor at NACOMMfro 69 thru 74 and I do remember you. I wish I had kept a copy ot the roster that was put out by Kagnew each month. Hope you are doing well. Barb and I live in Vegas, there are a few old Asmara people in this area and lots of Ethiopians. Take Care. John

Steve Cook
(no login)

Shore Patrol 72-73'

No score for this post
June 26 2002, 9:01 PM 

Hi Tony. It’s good to see other SP members still around after all these years. I’m sorry to say that I don’t recall working with you however I’m sure we did, as I too was at Kagnew Sta. during that same period in time. Once I was back in the states I could look back with wonderful memories but at the time, all I wanted was home sweet home USA.
I remember holed up on top of some platform off the main base with a 45 pistol and an antiquated rifle with 20 rounds guarding a site. At night you could hear the lions roar from the Emperors Palace and the stories of possible attack by the ELF left one a little nervous. Once I forgot to remove the 45 clip during return/weapons check to the SP office and put a round in the metal barrel. As you recall, we were not to engage the clips unless fired upon. The next week I was up in front of the old man. Thank goodness he was having a good day so I only got a small fine.
The locals were wonderful and trips on my Ducati to Massawa with a stop halfway at some small restaurant along the road will forever be remembered with joy. Again, its good to see ya! Steve Cook

Alex L. McGinnis, MAC, USN (ret)
(no login)

Hello to Steve Cook

No score for this post
March 9 2003, 3:08 PM 

March 9, 2003
Steve,
I have sent a few E-mails to afew folks. I would
love to hear from any of the patrolmen, Army MP's,
MPI's, or Navy Investigators assigned to "SIS". I
was one of those investigators. I worked with a great
Ethiopian guy named Tzeheye Johannes. I would love to talk to him. Do you remember Jerry Miles' orange truck
that he called "Sunkist"? As for me, I capped off my
law enforcement career by graduating the NH Police
Academy at age forty six. Please respond or post my
address if you know how to do that!
Alex L. McGinnis
163 Manchester St. Apt 30
Concord, N.H. 03301
By the way, I still have my SP helmet, holster, and
ammo pouch. Also have the brassard with the Kagnew patch.

Alex L. McGinnis
(Login alexlmcginnis)

HELLO TO TONY RHODES

No score for this post
March 17 2003, 8:41 PM 

DEAR TONY,
I WAS A MEMBER OF NAVY SECURITY TOO. I HAVE E-MAILED OTHER MEMBERS OF THE "SPs". ALL THESE YEARS, I SAVED MY SP GEAR. I STILL HAVE THE BRASSARD WITH THE
KAGNEW PATCH ON IT. I ALSO HAVE MY CREDENTIALS THAT
IDENTIFY ME AS A "SPECIAL INVESTIGATOR". I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU OR ANY OTHER OF THE GUYS WHO WERE THERE WHEN I WAS. I WOUND UP CONVERTING TO THE MA RATE
A FEW YEARS LATER. WENT THROUGH THE NH POLICE ACADEMY
AFTER I RETIRED FROM THE NAVY AS AN MAC. WHAT DID YOU WIND UP DOING? E-MAIL ME OR CALL: 603-3447994
ALEX L. MCGINNIS
MAC USN (RET)
163 MANCHESTER ST APT 30
CONCORD, N.H. 03301

Alex L. McGinnis
(Login alexlmcginnis)

HELLO TO TONY RHODES

No score for this post
March 17 2003, 8:42 PM 

DEAR TONY,
I WAS A MEMBER OF NAVY SECURITY TOO. I HAVE E-MAILED OTHER MEMBERS OF THE "SPs". ALL THESE YEARS, I SAVED MY SP GEAR. I STILL HAVE THE BRASSARD WITH THE
IDENTIFY ME AS A "SPECIAL INVESTIGATOR". I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU OR ANY OTHER OF THE GUYS WHO WERE THERE WHEN I WAS. I WOUND UP CONVERTING TO THE MA RATE
AFTER I RETIRED FROM THE NAVY AS AN MAC. WHAT DID YOU WIND UP DOING? E-MAIL ME OR CALL: 603-3447994
ALEX L. MCGINNIS
MAC USN (RET)
163 MANCHESTER ST APT 30
CONCORD, N.H. 03301

alex l. mcginnis

Alex L. McGinnis
(Login alexlmcginnis)

HELLO TO TONY RHODES

No score for this post
March 17 2003, 8:43 PM 

DEAR TONY,
ALEX L. MCGINNIS
MAC USN (RET)
163 MANCHESTER ST APT 30
CONCORD, N.H. 03301

alex l. mcginnis

Carl Brown
(no login)

USNAVCOMMSTA Member

No score for this post
June 2 2003, 1:44 AM 

At near 50 the memory is goes fast but I did a lot of growing up in Asmara. I also did some things I shouldn't have but like I said I grew up. In Asmara people called me "Slim". Yeah, I was the skinny black kid of 17 that thought he knew how to ride a motorcycle. I worked at AFRTS and did some photography. I developed a love for my country and the Navy while in Ethiopia. I live in VA now and on a regular basis I talk about my past experiences.

God is Good.
Carl Brown

Clay Webber
(no login)

Clay Webber

No score for this post
August 9 2003, 1:27 PM 

I was stationed at Kagnew in 73-74 (radioman) The guys I hung with were Tiley, Hansen, Hammonds, Warren, Blix, Randy Harris, Summerville. Worked for RMC Chitwood and LT Graybill. Good to see all the responses even though I don't remember any one personally. I did see where Slim replied and I did remember him on the radio. Those were great times even for a bunch of teenagers. Loved those softball games with the officers and the comm guys. Houseboy was named Gazai. Great times.

Dwight Stinchcomb
(no login)

Asmera '73-'74

No score for this post
August 22 2003, 10:15 AM 

Tony, My name is Dwight Stinchcomb. I was stationed in Asmera from April 1973 to April 1974. I had a lot of friends there and did a lot of partying. Your name seems familiar but I cannot place you. I specifically remember Randy Gray & Danny Eidson. Ring any bells?

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This forum is not intended to be used for political purposes.
Those abusing this forum will be blocked from future use.