<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Looking for the Alfa Romeo

October 18 2002 at 7:36 PM
No score for this post
Stephen B. Hatt  (no login)

I lived in Asmara from 1955 to 1957, up on the hill above Kagnew Station a couple doors down from what was then the Ethiopian "govenor's" residence. My parents, Bernard and Janice were both working for the Corp of Engineers with an office just inside the gate at Cintia, the new base being build. Attended school in the new building we had, with GI's for teachers (Corbin and Brown). The family car was a Ghia bodied (grey steel) Alfa Romeo sport coupe which Dad bought for $700 and then two years later, sold it to the base dentist who thought he might restore it and send it back to the states. I am keenly interested in talking to anyone who might shed some light on what happened to this fine car.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Art Adolphsen
(no login)

Old car

No score for this post
October 21 2002, 2:40 PM 

I remember seeing the AR, but have no Idea where it would be now. While I was there, in 57/58, I had a Lancia 1934, when it broke a timing chain, I took it to the garage we bought it from, to have it fixed, I don't remember the owners name (Italian).
He got it apart, and never got it back together before I left Asmara, I still wonder how many times he sold and got cars back this way over the years.

Art

Stephen B. Hatt
(no login)

Old Alfa

No score for this post
October 22 2002, 8:02 PM 

Dear Art,

Thanks for the email. I suspect you are right about what happened to your car. Some of the GI's bought old Fiats (typically) and fixed them up to look better than new. I remember a nice young fellow my older sister dated who had one that was cream colored, probably two toned.

Did the MP's still have the two armored cars? They may have been named Tweetie and Sylvester. Every now and then, they would roar out of old Kagnew and tear down the hill to Massawa to look for overdue travelers. The shiftas were pretty active.

You might remember a couple of brothers that worked for the Americans, one named T-Bone and the other Ham bone who I think was an orderly in the old hospital just to the left of the gate at Kagnew. Oh yeah! How about the Eritrean Guards who loved playing softball? They had no trouble beating us kids. It took all of us, from 12 years old and up to put a team together.

Old memories! Thanks for the note.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This forum is not intended to be used for political purposes.
Those abusing this forum will be blocked from future use.