Squalor Survivors

This forum is archived (i.e. you can read but not post), and may be used as an emergency back-up forum if the current forums are inaccessible (bookmark this page so you have it when you need it!)

Squalor Survivors can be found at: http://www.squalorsurvivors.com/ OR http://www.squalorsurvivors.org/
To email Pigpen: jo.y@slingshot.co.nz OR squalor.survivors@gmail.com.

Return to Index  

Thoughts on Cleaners

August 9 2005 at 3:33 PM
Packrat527  (no login)

Response to It's ok!

I had help in the home for about 3 years a number of years ago (paid for by insurance) following a car accident back when I was still a single parent with 3 relatively young kids. They were a life saver, but they were also often hard to deal with and I went through a few companies. The actual women who came to clean changed often and ran the gamut from young women putting themselves through college/university (excellent in every way, but very few of them), to youngish immigrants from a variety of places (generally great at cleaning, but I often found cultural differences made them outspoken and judgemental about both our degree of mess and the amount of stuff), to older women with limited educational backgrounds (who were usually good cleaners but sometimes needed careful direction), to the cleaner from he**! (This last one was weird, kept shutting herself in the bathroom for 15 minutes or more at a time over and over again, did things I specifically said not to do, destroyed a $50 roast platter I'd told her not to touch, and wanted to leave early. I called and told them not to send her again. I had a strong suspicion she was doing drugs because every time she came out of the bathroom she was a little weirder.)

For all the ups and downs we had with all the various cleaners, I loved having them. A cleaning person can't sort your mail for you or decide what stays and what goes but if they clean the bathroom and kitchen, maybe do a load or 2 of laundry (presorted), sweep, vacuum and wash floors then you can use your time and energy to go through the kids outgrown clothes, sort through boxes of papers, put all the DVDs back in the right cases, clip those articles you wanted from the papers that are piling up by your sofa, etc. etc. It frees you to do the things that only you can do. If you have to spend your time doing the deep cleaning, then the other things just keep piling up.

So, I say you should enjoy your cleaning help and use it to help you move up to the next level.

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All posts are © their original authors.