<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Surfer Beach

September 15 2002 at 2:44 PM
Guy  (no login)
from IP address 12.81.78.215

Went to the beach yesterday and spent most of the day sunning and walking the sands. Surprise! Didn't see any guys wearing u.w. under their shorts when they stripped down or pulling on their board shorts, cutoffs, whatever to go home.

I always stop along the way home at the Surfer Beach and park along the roadside to watch them ride the waves. Something I've never done but holds a certain fascination in my mind. While parked, one can see the surfers' cars parked along the roadside, and they change on the beach side of their cars. Nobody wore u.w. under their wetsuits.

A couple of them dropped the tops down and talked whle leaning against the cars, their hand undiscretely down the front of their wetsuits. They dropped their suits and toweled down only after achieving half erections, and they seem to enjoy standing there bare-ass for a few minutes before pulling on their board shorts.

It seemed to be a pattern for all of them coming in to change. I can only say that many posts talk about how prudish the younger generation has become, but these surfer guys don't seem to have any hangups about being nude together and showing off. I've seen it for years at the surfer beaches. But can't help but wonder, if it's a "surfer dude practise" or if (maybe) the younger generation is getting less concerned with being naked among their peers? I hope the latter.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alex
(no login)

Re: Surfer Beach

September 15 2002, 4:25 PM 

This is a big change from the posts we were getting just a few months ago. Let hope it prepresent a nationwide trend and UW is put in the proper place- the trash can!

Respond to this message   
Guy
(no login)

Re: Surfers

September 15 2002, 6:03 PM 

The Surfers are a breed apart from the rest of the younger crowd. I think maybe freeballing under wet suits may be a normal thing for them and maybe not indicative of the rest of the 15 to 30'ish group of guys. We'll see. I'm sure there are members of this forum who have witnessed surfers in action. Maybe they can confirm (or negate) what I saw here on the West Coast.

Respond to this message   
Scooter
(no login)

NC/SC Coast

September 15 2002, 9:52 PM 

Maybe it's a California thing. The beaches I visit the most are Ft. Fisher & Atlantic Beach in NC. I've seen plenty of surfers change out of their wet suits, but they always had something on below.

Respond to this message   
Dave P
(no login)

Re: NC/SC Coast

September 15 2002, 10:20 PM 

Same here in FL- but most trends start in Calf so maybe it will spread. Lets hope. I think with the trend to more form-fitting pants, guys are going to find boxers too bulky and I don't think they will go back to briefs.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

I've seen them there

September 16 2002, 12:17 AM 

Usually the really serious hard-core surfers visit the outer banks during the off-tourist-season. This is when the waves are higher during early spring nor-easters, or during hurrican season in the fall (about this time of year). They also like the fact that the beaches are abandoned, and don't hafta look out for swimmers.

Just about all surfers I've seen around the Hatteras, Rhodanthe, Oakrecoke, and other outer banks beaches are rarely ever bashful about exposing themselves while changing from wet-suits and back again. During tourist season (memorial day to labor day) the beaches are rather crowded, and some of them may simply wrap a towel around their waist to make it simply look likey they're trying to be modest...but usually they take little care to make sure it keeps things covered. They'll frequently lift a leg, or let the towel dangle while digging in the back of the truck for their clothing. Usually during the tourist season too, you get more of the less frequent surfers. These are guys that maybe rent a board and do it every so often while on vacation, but don't really make it a serious point to catch waves all the time. Some freebal, but not all, others of these guys are boxer wearers, and not a brief in sight.

During the off-season though is when the sightings start. I was sitting in the observation deck of my aunt's house early last spring, and saw many surfers walk onto the beach, and just change right there in front of the small subdivision of houses. They didn't try and cover up at all, and a few guys sat down on their towels and were chit-chatting nude for a while before putting on their shorts...without underwear...and wandering back to their van.

Respond to this message   
Guy
(no login)

Re: I've Seen Them There

September 16 2002, 3:03 AM 

Thank you for your excellent post. I've been observing these guys on the surfer beach for years, and have always had a "hunch" that there was, indeed, a different, unique kind of cameraderie or sub-culture associated with their lot. Thanks for explaining the bond that they have, and answering my question about whether California surfer guys are any different than anywhere else. They appear not to be. They love their surfing, and are not shy about hanging out nude when out of their wetsuits. I would imagine many are home nudists as well. Thanks again for the post.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

water rash

September 16 2002, 12:24 AM 

Most surfers don't wear any kind of underwear underneath board shorts becase of water rash. Rolling ocean waves carry a considerable amount of dissolved particles that tend to dry on the skin. While paddling a surfboard, you are moving your legs. Then you are waiting, and drying out slightly while still...then paddling again to get back into the right spot if you drift. This, combined with several hours in the water means red-rash thighs, and not being able to walk (I speak from experience). I got it bad last fall even freeballing in a pair of Birdwells while surfing

It's easy to tell a serious surfer, becasue they have found this out the hard way, and ditched the undergarments under the shorts.

The enjoyment of surfing is ageless. Us surfers have our own style and culture, and unlike other teenage cultures, surfing does not separage generations. I have frequently hung out with a wide variety of ages from a young boy that could be my son, to a few men that could be my father and grandfather, and a woman old enough to be my mother. We all sat around a bonfire in Hatteras that night and had a good time...even though we had never seen each other before in our lives.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

The trash can?

September 15 2002, 9:03 PM 

OK you can put YOURS in a trash can, but I like mine VERY much thank you.

Respond to this message   
Guy
(no login)

A B C's

September 15 2002, 9:13 PM 

A. You seem to respond to the wrong messages.

B. You have no name. Are you a troll?

C. Why would anyone who loves his u.w. even bother

with this board? Did I say, "troll" before?

Respond to this message   
Dave P.
(no login)

Anonymous posters

September 15 2002, 10:31 PM 

Did you ever notice every time someone post with "Anonymous" it's something stupid? No wonder they don't want to use their name!

Respond to this message   
Guy
(no login)

Anonymous Posters

September 15 2002, 11:21 PM 

Uh huh...I hear you. Yet....why bother? Oh well.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Surfers in S. Florida

September 16 2002, 7:37 AM 

They don't wear UW. As a matter of fact, I was commenting to a friend a couple of weeks ago on the beach. The surfers look good in their board shorts, riging just a bit low, showing off thier flat stomachs. The other teenage guys, those sitting with the girls watching the guys surf, had boxer shorts, absurdly bunched up above their waiste bands.

Don't see too many surfers changing on the beach or by their cars. That's just geography. I'm sure up on Singer Island, or Hutchenson Island I'd see that. When I go to the beach I go to Delray. I go to a section that is slightly remote, but not really. It's not a big surfing beach, but there's no way to discreetly change by your car (along A1A across from condos).

When I go to watch the guys surf, I go over to Palm Beach. Guys are NOT stripping by their cars along Ocean Blvd. in Palm Beach.

Respond to this message   
Guy
(no login)

No Options

September 16 2002, 8:22 PM 

Here in No. Calif. they have no options. There is no parking lot and all the parking is along highway 1 right along the coast. They park right on side of the road, and have no choice but to change on the passenger side of their cars or inbetween the parralel parked cars with their butts to the road. Most opt to change on the surf side of the car and feel that the height of the doors protect them from passing traffic. It's only if you park parralel behind them on the coast highway that you can see all the way down to the end of the parked vehicles, and of course, what all goes on. Or comes off...as the case may be. <G> You're right tho, I think California surfers are and have been a breed apart for many years now. They fear not the waves, and fear less being seen naked. I guess it's all in one's priorities, eh?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Surfer Beach
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement