<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Guys who never wear underwear

July 30 2012 at 5:46 AM
frank  (Login frankxod)
from IP address 109.78.64.34

there was a post sometime back that said something on the lines of there being a time when British guys never wore underwear in Summer.

I found this post on the British Discipline website that indicates some guys never wore underwear. Unfortunately no date is given.

"My brother, who was at a (mixed) secondary modern, once came home and reported that one of his friends had been caned, trousers down, in front of the whole school, for some serious misdeed. As he didn't (ever) wear underpants, this was bare-bottom. He was fifteen, I think. Our parents didn't blink at this (to us) sensational news."

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Keith
(no login)

July 30 2012, 8:36 PM 

Quite right Frank, this subject has been discussed. In many working class families, men and their sons did not wear underwear. It was even seen as unmanly since 'real men' never wore anything under their trousers. I was born in 1946 and in post-war Britain clothing was rationed until around 1950(?). Underpants were expensive and frankly not that desirable. Called 'trunks' they tended to be made of a wool/cotton mix, very loose and baggy, with a gaping slit in the front. If any of your mates caught you wearing such disreputable garments you risked the catcall "He's wearing lasses knickers!" (Blush)

I think it was the invention of nylon that made colourful and cheap 'Y' fronts popular and widely available. They were quite a novelty at the time and, being a trendy young man guided by peers, I myself had a phase of wearing them. The drawback with nylon clothing was that it made you sweat (nylon shirts were another nightmare) and became very uncomfortable. One hot sunny day I could endure my 'Y' fronts no longer and called in a public toilet, stripped them off and dumped them in a wastebin, never worn any since.

I also attended a mixed secondary modern school (1956-61) and a lot of the lads did not wear underwear. The cane was used, mainly on the hand, but sometimes across the seat of trousers. Given the usual state of schoolboy trousers they gave little protection. I never heard of any bare bottom canings taking place in my school. That is not to say this did not happen elsewhere.

Respond to this message   
Lawrence
(no login)

July 31 2012, 10:25 AM 

I can verify that lots of boys did not wear underwear- or at least underpants in Britain even in the 1960s and early 70s. As Keith says in working class areas boys regarded boys who wore underpants as girly men, probably because in scotland boys still wore the trunks with the gaping fly
I attended parochial school in a town in the west of Scotland and discipline was strict. I received the can or thick Scottish punishment strap on the bare several times though never quite in front of the whole class.
In the primary (early grades) classes boys to be punished were taken in a special room and told to drop their trousers - there might be up to a dozen or so boys waiting to be punished for a range of offences and generally around 40% of boys were freeballing - though that is not what we called it in those days.
In the high school we were also punished "in private" though again there could be several boys in the room and in the times that I was being punished I was never the only boy to be underwearlsss. Probably one-third of the boys were commando.
In my line of work I became friendly with an Isle of Man policeman- that island used the cane on bare bottoms of boys and young men who committed crimes and he said that one one occasion in 1970 four young men from Glasgow, aged 19 or 20 were birched and none of them wore underwear under their trousers. So it was not uncommon in Britain to freeball.

Respond to this message   
Nat
(Login Nafana)
Forum Owner

Not so unusual

July 31 2012, 5:57 AM 

Over the years I've known many men and women who don't wear underwear. It's really not so unusual.
You probably see underwearless people every day and don't even know it.

. . . . .

Respond to this message   
Peter
(no login)

Re: Guys who never wear underwear

July 31 2012, 10:58 AM 

The posting is correct in that many British boys did not wear underpants in summer, and for that matter also through out the year.In many UK schools boys were not allowed to wear underpants whilst doing PE or playing sport.
I attended an upmarket private all boys school in Cape Town during the middle 1960's and early 1970's.My school was very much modeled on UK public schools and we had the same 'no underwear for sport' rule.
Underpants at that time were generally 'tighty whities', and quite often uncomfortable.Many pf the boys fathers had fought in the Western Desert during the Second World War, and it was not at all uncommon for these soldiers to 'go commando'.
The result was that many Dads did not think it necessary for their sons to wear underpants,so even in grade three there were about twenty percent of the boys in my class who freeballed.As a result of the 'no underpants for sport' rule and the example set by other boys ,freeballing was soon regarded as 'manly', and by grade six probably sixty to seventy of the boys in my class were freeballing 24/7!
Many of the white farmers sons in South Africa in the same decades were never even put into underpants, as most of the country men's outfitters did not stock boys underwear.Underpants for boys were regarded as an unnecessary luxury and as girlish!Only 'sissies' wore underpants!
In some country schools there is still a tradition that boys in grades six and seven (the last years in primary school) do not wear underpants.

Respond to this message   
AndyMac
(no login)

August 1 2012, 8:32 AM 

I also attended school in the Uk from 1965 to 1977 and also was punsihed in the company of other boys on the bare, I would say that somewhat over a quarter of the boys in my class wore nothing under their trousers even into fifth form ie 16 to 17 years of age. We also had group physical exams where a bunch of boys would strip to the waist to be seen by the doctor in the school and many a boy had no under

Respond to this message   
Wylie
(Login wyliedk)

August 1 2012, 12:51 PM 

This is only tangentially related, but I have read that most UK guys sleep nude, whereas that mode of sleeping seems to be somewhat less common here in the US. Maybe the two are related.

(I live in the US and have never known anyone else to sleep nude. Which is to say that I have never seen anyone else do it or heard anyone talk about it. Most guys seem to wear boxers. I am sure that nude sleeping is not actually as rare as it appears, but it seems that many see something "naughty" or "inappropriate" about it and at least try to avoid "admitting" that they do it.)

Respond to this message   
Nat
(Login Nafana)
Forum Owner

Nude sleepers

August 1 2012, 3:15 PM 

I've seen various surveys over the years that indicate that nude sleeping in pretty common- typically 20-30% among men. These surveys also say that underwear- not pajamas- is the most common sleep garment. And because it seems irrational for someone to put on underwear just to crawl in bed and take it off the next morning to dress, I suspect the percentage of freeballers who sleep nude is very high. Its certainly why I became a freeballer and nude sleeper at the same time.

. . . . .

Respond to this message   
CT
(no login)

guys sleeping naked

August 1 2012, 9:01 PM 

Wylie - where do you live in the U.S. where you've never known other guys that sleep naked?
Though I've slept naked every single night since my teens (now 57) and also haven't worn or owned a pair of underwear since then I know and have known many many guys that sleep always sleept naked and unfortunately most of them do wear underwear.
This has included over the years my dad, brother in law, uncles, cousins, friends, boyfriends and now both my nephews (15 &19). CT

Respond to this message   
Tony in Kent U.K.
(no login)

August 1 2012, 3:47 PM 

This clip from the 1969 film "Kes" nicely illustrates how some kids in UK schools did not wear underwear. This would have depicted a tough working class school. In this clip we see young Billy Casper trying to get out of playing football at school. The games master is not interested in his excuses and finds Billy an old pair of shorts to wear. He tells Billy to take off his vest and underwear, and Billy says without any embarrassment "Don't wear them Sir !". We then see young Billy changing into the pants and very clearly not wearing underwear. The interesting bit starts at 2.20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3cayRMnVb8

Respond to this message   
outdoorsman
(no login)

Haven't worn them since I was a kid

August 1 2012, 6:21 PM 

I am in my early 30's now and since I was a small child I haven't worn undergarments of any kind.I also have slept in the nude since childhood.I do tend to warn people who might see me asleep but otherwise I say nothing.I am not ashamed in anyway,and have not been embarrased by not wearing underwear or sleeping nude.Dr.visits are nothing to me,by now my Dr.knows what is to be when I am asked to strip down.In other areas ,Yes my bulge dose show in jeans,so do womens brests in thier shirts.I do tend to on my off days,weekends and just my general bumming around,in summer wear short shorts.Not ones that come just above the knee but ones that just cover my bottom.I have never had anyone make light of it or even say anything off color about it,I have on the contrary had several women,and men comment on how nice my legs look,even alot of women complement my butt! So I see no worrys not wearing underwear,sleeping nude,or things all men are born with show thru a bit,of course with some modesty and with respect of the public I am in wearing such attire,

Respond to this message   
Nate The Great
(Login relover89)

August 1 2012, 11:51 PM 

I had never heard of this film till now

interesting film and clip

but definitely the part at 220, it is VERRRRRRY obvious that he is without uw, from the bare ass, to the way his pants look around his butt

to even more the way his too big shorts show EVERYTHING.....from the way his balls and penis move when he moves or walks to the detail in the way the shorts are so thin....

I wonder if the actor freeballed or that was in the book, and yes it was based off a book first

a kestral for a knave

Underwear???Where????
Bye Now

well the uw is here for now in briefs.....but they will be gone VERY VERY VERY soon!!!!!!!!!!

Freeballing Nate

Respond to this message   
Keith
(no login)

as above

August 2 2012, 9:05 PM 

It's interesting to me that 'Tony in Kent' should have brought the film 'Kes' to our attention. It was filmed near Barnsley in South Yorkshire (Northern England) only around 20 miles from where I was born and went to school. I like the film because it is so authentic of the times and reminds me so much of my childhood.

The lad's outsize shorts in the film are not so improbable. Our games teacher was in his 20's and played rugby in an amateur league and grabbed a basket of their wrecked kit bound for the bin and it ended up in our school changing room. If you forgot your games kit you were sent to the basket to borrow shirt and shorts. A shirt minus a sleeve was not too bad but shorts with a 40-inch waist from a big beefy rugby player were no good for a whispy schoolboy - they dropped down and tripped you up as you were running.

You notice how in the film only the school teacher has full kit and how all the boys are wearing different kit. Money was short and you had to make do with what came to hand. I managed to get a pair of second-hand football boots with my pocket money - and they nearly crippled me. Most of the lads were sons of coal miners and for school football wore their dad's old 'pit pants'. Pit pants came about because working conditions underground were so hot most men stripped right off to work but creeping along in the dark who wanted to find their nose suddenly up somebody's hairy ... So the colliery management issued all the underground crews with navy blue cotton shorts, becoming commonly known as pit pants. And when new ones were issued the old ones were passed down the family (the hand-me-down culture).

Nate, I think both writer and producer were making a social comment and thus creating something that needed to be totally authentic. As I said when I first responded quite a lot of lads freeballed, although we did not have a name for it then because it was just the way things were. When you think about it, had the lad in the film dropped his trousers and revealed coloured briefs or boxers the film would have lost a lot of its credibility.

Respond to this message   
Ken P.
(Login kwp99)

May 23 2014, 3:06 PM 

English is my only language and I could hardly understand a word any of them was saying.
But it was an interesting video nonetheless.

Respond to this message   
Alex
(Login alex.pustel)

Freeblaaing and dicipline

August 29 2012, 10:20 PM 

I grew up in huntsville, AL in the 1980s when schools still handed out spankings in the princaples office and I rarely ever wore inderwear and never did after the middle if 1st grade. By mom had the rule wear clean underwear or no underwear and I thought underwear was stupid when I was picking out what I wore and dressing myself.

Where I went to school spankings were with a paddle over underwear or extera swats bare bottom if not wearing any. When I got the paddle at school it was allwas a willow branch or a strap when I got home bare bottom and that was 20 times wors from my step dad.

Respond to this message   
Alex
(Login alex.pustel)

guys who never wear underwear

August 30 2012, 11:31 AM 

I grew in Alabama and my mom only bought me 3 pairs of undies. She only did laundry once every week or 2 and the rule was wear clean underwear or no underwear so I was freeballing part time rite out of diapers. When my mom dressed me she put undies on me some days and other days she didn't.

In kindergarten I only put them on if I was about to be in trouble with my step dad to avoid a bare bottom whipping but it didn't take long for him to figure that out and all spankings from that point were bare. After that I thought underwear was stupid.

When my mom was folding laundry after getting home from the laundry mat 1 day she asked where my underwear was and I sais in my dresser and she looked and said looks like you don't need it and I said no. She then threw it away and never bought me underwear agin. That was rite around kindergarten 1st grade.

Respond to this message   
Dude19
(Login Dude19)

Gave the option of not wearing underwear ever

May 16 2014, 6:22 PM 

If I was gave the option of not wearing underpants ever I would probably have started right after potty training but in my family underwear was not a choice. you always had to wear them except swimming. I also didn't find out about freeballing until I moved out even though I had tried it a couple of time in the past before I know what it was I was more interested in getting boxers which for some reason my mom would not buy them mostly because my dad who wears whity tighties hated them and also my mom didn't want us kids to be the ones that got sent to the principles office for our pants swagging which for me might have been a problem because jeans never came in the right size they were either too baggy around the waist or too short. so I have almost always had a belt on and have spent good money on one that is leather with my name on it and some belt bucklet to good with it. I wish my dad wasn't with me at the time I bought it because he made me get I size larger than what I neede and well I have had to put more holes in it to fit right and that the belt buckles use holes that are farther apart I can't even wear them and my waist has not gotten any bigger since then so I now of 50 bucks in buckles that I can't even wear without pulling up my pants every some often it is worse then wearing boxers that ride up the pants ride down and the boxers ride up.
Dude19 is enjoying freeballing in his jeans
visit my blog athttp://freeballing2.blogspot.com

Respond to this message   
Alex
(no login)

RE: given the option

May 17 2014, 9:46 AM 

When I was really little it wasn't so much an option but a matter of luck and anybodys guess. Sometimes my mom and step dad put undies on me and the rest of the time they put just pants on me. Being use to not wearing underwear here and there I found it easyer getting dressed throwing just pants on.

However if I happen to get in trouble with my step dad my pants came all the way off and he used a leather belt totally bare in the living room.

Respond to this message   
Dude19
(Login Dude19)

ouch

May 17 2014, 2:10 PM 

so that might have been a problem
Dude19 is enjoying freeballing in his jeans
visit my blog athttp://freeballing2.blogspot.com

Respond to this message   
Alex
(no login)

RE:Ouch

May 18 2014, 7:45 AM 

It was a weighing in the pros and cons. Back then it was normal for kids to get spanked with leather belts or switches. Some got it bare and others got it over the undies, and some got it fully clothed. My step dad always did it in the living room in front of whoever happened to be over.

I can remember knowing other buys that never wore undies in the summer but wore them to school. For me I didn't own a single pair by mid kindergarten.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement