<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Front Page  

Need advice on rebuilding 240 Merc EFI

August 4 2007 at 11:56 AM
Rick  (Login mrtool2u)

I am looking at picking up a Sea doo jet boat with a 240 hp merc efi motor,the only problem is 1 liner is cracked and some of the casting is cracked. A local marina did not recommend it,saying the weld would not hold,,said he has tried before. My question is,,can anyone recommend any engine builders in any states that could do this type of work. I am sure that there is some good ones out there. I really hate to pass up the deal on this boat,my wife and kids love the boat. I know I have some money to invest but I feel it would be worth it in the end.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login SpeedSter240EFI)
Forum Owner

Re: Need advice on rebuilding 240 Merc EFI

August 4 2007, 6:13 PM 

How much does the work cost vs purchasing a short block? I know you can pickup a brand new short block for around $4,500.
R

Respond to this message   
Rick
(Login mrtool2u)

Cost to rebuild

August 4 2007, 9:14 PM 

I was figuring 1500.00 max for a rebuild,,,4500 was a little hard to swallow.

Respond to this message   
SpeedSter240EFI
(Login SpeedSter240EFI)
Forum Owner

Suggestions

August 5 2007, 8:11 AM 

Perhaps you could find a Seadoo which suffered massive hull damage and snap up its powerhead.

I believe tossing $1,500 to $2,000 toward a "hopeful" outcome is more risky than purchasing a short block. Personally, I wouldn't spend $500 unless I knew it would be a sure thing. With a brand new short block... your jet will be brand new.

Be sure to upgrade the stator charging system to the alternator version which most later 240s use. It offers much more charge at idle, where the stator charging systems barely supplies enough juice to keep it running at an idle. If you plan to install big-sound... get a real alternator.

Also, replace the HydrSurge with a 6 tine or 11 tine fixed grate... I would hate to hear you finished renovating your jet only to have a HydroSuck Tine ingested into your pump! A fixed tine grate will NEVER cause you pump-pain!

I wish you luck on your rebuild... Keep us informed!!!

JetWild in DryDock... Its okay to make those noises in the garage during the season!!!
SpeedSter240EFI
Rj

Respond to this message   
Rick
(no login)

Where to find used parts

August 5 2007, 4:55 PM 

OK,I like the idea of finding a crunched unit,but where would a guy start. I am in western Pa. ,not exactly the hub of jet skis/boats. Is there any salvage yards out there. And what do you mean by alternator system,,would this eliminate the stator,,which the boat deffinetly has,,no alternator.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login SpeedSter240EFI)
Forum Owner

Re: Where to find used parts

August 6 2007, 7:39 AM 

Just a shot in the dark... Search for marinas or bone yards in the South. With all the natural disasters, I would imagine there are a few 240 powerheads just sitting around. I am told the 240 "powerhead" is used in many applications. There must be a 240 powerhead with your name on it... You just have to find it.

You can't miss the alternator and fan belt on the newer 240s. I wish I had an alternator! Basically, I keep our battery peaked off with an inexpensive Battery Tender in the garage.

Keep us informed and send pictures...
JetWild!!!
SpeedSter240EFI
Rj

Respond to this message   
Brian
(Login TTT240)

Another 240 EFI adventure

December 6 2007, 1:36 PM 

I see from a few strings you are the go to guy for advice on the 240. I like a couple others picked up a Doo with no go. I need to rebuild the motor from the looks of things. I bought this through an insurance auction and the details are sketchy.
They say the motor was swamped but the boat did not go under. The motor is apart and can't turn over so either need to rebuild or replace. Can you direct me on where to look for a short block? I am located in Mass.

Also, how would I include pictures on the forum, just joined today.

Brian

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login SpeedSter240EFI)
Forum Owner

Re: Another 240 EFI adventure

December 6 2007, 8:36 PM 

Holly craps... I remember the site on the first try LOL

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/

You should be able to find everything you need to rebuild any mercury equipped Doo.

JetWild!!!
SpeedSter240EFI
Rj

Respond to this message   
Brian
(Login TTT240)

Thank you

December 7 2007, 7:29 AM 

Thank you for the quick response and link, I will certainly check it out.

Respond to this message   
Brian
(Login TTT240)

Replace w/210

January 10 2008, 8:10 AM 

I found that the damaged motor in the boat I purchased was blown and in tough shape. Estimates are crank, rings, metal fragments and looking at approx $6000 to send out for block replacement and rebuild. I was able to find a brand new 210HP motor in the crate from a dealer through a connection for $3000.
I know the 210HP puts out less than the 240EFI I would be replacing but $$$ is also a concern. Is there a dramatic difference between the 240 and 210 in the Challenger 1800?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Replace w/210

January 10 2008, 3:20 PM 

The 210's and the 240's are exactly the same. One has a carb and 240 has injectors. There is no difference between the two when they come off the assembly line. Some took the 210 fork in the line and the rest had the fuel inject addons. The 210 block should be a direct replacement. It will take alot of work... but, to save that kind of money... who cares. Winter is the rebuild season!!! LOL

Send us pics!
Rj

Respond to this message   
Gui
(no login)

I need new engine

January 30 2008, 10:53 PM 

I need some help...I'm looking for a engine (MĀ²Jet Drive V6)that fits in a SeaDoo Challenger. Do you know someplace where I could find it? Thanks.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Front Page  
Find more forums on BoatingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Legal Information: This SeaDoo/Merc 240EFI JetBoater's Forum is NOT affiliated with any JetBoat companies. It is merely a place where 240EFI Jetboat owners can post questions, answers, and opinions. Any and all comments, recommendations, suggestions, and/or any information seen on this forum is protected by our Rights of Freedom of Speech. This forum can not be held responsible for information that is learned here that may cause harm, or financial loss, to any person(s)and/or JetBoat(s) alike. Please use your common sense and post/read responsibly ... Thank You and Enjoy!