Free Agency continues...

by

Do to request, suggestion, popular demand?, and my insatiable desire to ruin all of your free agent hopes (just kidding ) I will be continuing economists like to call supply & demand!

GM's will be given until late Friday night to get any further offers they want to get in before the signing bonuses start being handed out Monday.

A note to GMs is that money isn't everything. If you don't have an open spot on your roster for a player the chances of you getting said player are lessened, despite the fact that you might have offered the best contract.

Teams that lost players via free agency or have huge bank accounts might slide behind this philosophy but in general, especially because there are few GMs bidding, I'm not going to let certain teams stack up on players (i.e. sign quality players, only to have them be 3rd or 4th liners). And the fact that you would trade players you already have, is not much of a plus.

Not only is it impractical (guys don't want reduced playing time, unless perhaps a winning atmosphere can shadow their doubts), but it creates an unbalanced league and that's not something I'm going to take part in creating. Free agency is supposed to be something to fill holes.

As such, some players will sign with teams that currently do NOT have GMs. I don't know who or with what team, but I wanted to make everyone aware of that before the time comes (after a batch or two).

Send any new offers to phillyflyer@attbi.com

Note: I still have all of the old ones so there is no need to re-send them.

And remember, if you haven't included a bit about how much the player will play (ES/PP/PK) send it along with this one. Playing time and any other reasons besides money are important to players in the NHA. Signing bonuses are too...why? Because it's a deterent to trading the player later.

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 8:54 AM
from IP address 216.160.27.110

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement