<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Ruckus!  

Too Many Euros?

May 3 2008 at 7:39 PM
LTGT  (Login LoveTheGameTons)

Saturday, May 3, 2008

T.M.E. Too Many Euros?

Within minutes of the Montreal Canadiens losing to the Flyers in the conference semi-final, I hear an abbreviation I had never heard before - T.M.E.

Too Many Euros.

Could It be possible? Is it possible that a team with a European captain is losing for reasons other than coincidence. I don't know. There is a case to be made. Currently, almost half of NHL captains are European or from the European continent.

Certainly, the land that launched modern civilization has a pedagogy of leadership development worthy of producing at least one player who can captain a team to a Stanley Cup.

But, maybe this isn't about leadership - maybe it is about culture.

Could a Canadian raised soccer player possibly go into the 1986 Argentinian clubhouse and command respect? Even if they had the respect, can a Canadian kid possibly understand the life and death passion of exactly what it means?

Picture the New Zealand All Blacks doing their Maori Haki War Dance and just after they air band the spear through the opponent's air band heart, they let out an EH!

It just makes no sense.

I am a numbers guy - but, I would also like to think I am a tolerance guy.

Stereotyping, to me, is generally the writing on the back of my digital receiver that tells me how to get surround sound going.

But, in this case I will leave you with a fact.

A European captain has never led an NHL team to a Stanley Cup.

Do with it what you will.

http://insidestorysports.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the Ruckus!  
Find more forums on WHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This Net Ring owned by Squig
[Show me other Team Boards ]