The WRKL Message board

Election Day 1978

October 19 2001 at 11:18 PM
Jeff Baker 

Well, here's a mildly amusing recollection I've got from Election Day 1978. News Director John Russell was in early to anchor a portion of the AM drive newscast, which that morning was wall-to-wall news from 6-9AM. I was on the board, and at 6:45, I went over to the BC1G transmitter to kick it up from pre-sunrise (500 Watt) power to daytime power (1 kW). About once a year, when this power change was made, the BC1G would blow one of its 2 - 20 Amp line fuses, and drop dead. My luck, for 1978, that was the day it chose to go.
I walked over to the aux transmitter, the ancient BC1E, and pressed the "Filament ON" button. We'd be back on the air with this transmitter in less than a minute. I glanced over to the news booth and could see the steam coming out of John's ears. He was obviously aware that there was a problem, since his headphones monitored the off-air feed, but I opted not to go back to the control room intercom to explain the situation. Instead, I waited about 30 seconds for the filaments to warm up, pressed "Plate ON", putting the BC1E on the air, and walked back to the control room.
By this time, John had taken his headphones off and was speaking to me on the intercom. "You better not screw this up. We spent a lot of money on this." He needn't have used the intercom--see, he had never turned his booth microphone off, so I could hear him just fine over the air monitor. So could everyone else listening to the station. I cut his key momentarily on the board, and told him via the intercom, "You're on."
End of discussion.

Those were the days.

JB

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Speaking of bloopers... (warning: potentially offensive language!) - Julie Pomarici on Oct 20, 2001, 11:23 PM
  3. Old Tapes - Rich Mendelson on Nov 13, 2001, 10:07 AM
    1. Old Tapes Welcomed - Jeff Baker on Nov 13, 2001, 12:57 PM

4. the rest of the story - john russell on Jan 19, 2005, 2:05 PM
    1. the rest of the story P.S. - Jeff B on Jun 13, 2013, 10:58 PM

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Don't forget, you can't spell Rockland without RKL- AM91