The WRKL Message board

That "other" radio station - can't hold a candle to the old 'R'

January 18 2002 at 11:29 PM

Response to The "Other" station

Greetings, RKL alumni. I, too, am a veteran of RKL; but interestingly enough I am also a veteran of several generations of Rockland's "other" station. I joined WGRC in 1981 and stayed through its demise in 1986, when I joined WRKL. (Best radio year of my life!) (Tapes available). After leaving AM91 (sigh) and a brief hiatus, I rejoined what was then WLIR-AM. That career move "died" when the station went to Jewish owner/operators. But like the phoenix, it came back three and a half years later when the station owner called and said the courts gave him the keys, and he need "a few good men."

Inabilty to draw attention to itself...it will always be the legacy of AM1300. Having been a part of that station for so many years in so many "generations," I have seen its own history repeat itself. The lack of a fully dedicated news team; a majority of unprofessional announcers (Steve Possell is NOT an unprofessional); an equally un-dedicated sales force; and a signal pattern that does more for Orange and Bergen Counties than for Rockland are what the station is constantly stuck with. During the period in which WLIR was embroiled in court, a new transmitter was installed. But not new towers. That is like hooking up a new engine to a rusted old car. What sense??

WRKL can never again be what it once was...but WRCR will NEVER replace it. It just cannot happen!

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Where is Norman? - Walter Kast on May 17, 1:21 PM
    1. Norman Garfield - Elana Berlinger on Sep 8, 11:18 AM
      1. norman garfield located - jess schulman on Nov 1, 8:18 PM

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Don't forget, you can't spell Rockland without RKL- AM91