The WRKL Message board

You're too hard on yourself Gorgeous.

July 24 2005 at 10:37 PM
Norm Van Anden 

Response to My Memories

Mike was a stellar second baseman for the Swamprats in the early 70s. In one game for instance, the enemy had a man on first with no outs. An easy grounder was hit to me at short. I flipped to Mike and ... that was it. I gave him a Wha?? gesture and said, "I couldn't pivot. So I asked Bill (Crazy) Cobb to serve up another one just like that one. Darned if he didn't and this time Mile made the pivot and we got the DP.
We had some great charity games back then. Do you realize how hard it is to lose to the County Little League All-Stars who had been to the LL World Series? They would swing at anything in slow pitch. Bill Cobb had to resort to walking them so they could get enough runs.
Then there was the Nyack PD. We drew about a thousand people thanks to some wrestling style promos in which nicknamed staffers were "calling out" the cops. In addition to Gorgeous and Crazy, there was Jack (Wildman) Wandell, Charlie (Pouring) Reina, Jim (Nasty) Nash, Paul (Killer) kellogg. Barry (BJ) Cohen, Anne (Windup Waldman), Michael J (Scooter) Sheedy, Pete (Babbling) Brooks and, yours truly, Norm (Van The Man) Van Anden.
Hey! I made up the names.

Respond to this message   
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Don't forget, you can't spell Rockland without RKL- AM91