The WRKL Message board

I remember WRKL's sign-on

October 13 2010 at 2:59 AM
Bob Bittner 

Response to I grew up at WRKL

I was a teenager then, and writing stations for QSL cards. Noticed, at my northern NJ home that there was something on 910 that wasn't there before! Rode my bicycle up to Pamona to see the place. Wow! the trailer (actually two of them melded together). They must have done a great PR job because i saw those long bumper stickers for WRKL all over Rockland County. They were white and day-glo orange (NOT black and orange), with the county shape on the left and big bold WRKL letters at least half inch thick in the center and 910 on the right. At bottom, small letters saying "Rockland's Own Station". This was their first sticker they made. I may still have one of those stickers somewhere. I remember a Readers Digest article about the station after the fire... it said that according to ratings; of all people who listened to Rockland county radio (that's only 2 stations then), WRKL had 92% of the audience and WRRC-1300 had 8%. WRRC sounded real good (jingles were always better than WMCA's, and some of them rivaled WABC's!!) in 1967 as a top-40 station(survey year), but apparently young people preferred NYC top-40 stations. - This was a time when news and local talk, community affairs really paid off, on local radio.
--- Bob Bittner (owner of WJIB (1991- ) & WJTO (1997- )

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Don't forget, you can't spell Rockland without RKL- AM91