The WRKL Message board

Respond to this message
Original Message
  • I grew up at WRKL

• Posted Jul 7, 2010 1:27 AM

Both of my parents worked there at the beginning. They were Walter & Joan Johnson. My memories include playing in the swamp, being the "real" Child voice in many commercials, I even did a few stints on Hotline when the issue of the day had any sort of "children" twist. I remember Peter Brooks, Bob Fitzsimmons, Dick Warden and of course Al Spiro. I remember the Fire, my Dad did not shave the entire rebuilding time, wierd when you figure it was radio! As an engineer my Dad did a lot of remotes... I remember hauling loads of equipment to charity events and Sunrise Easter Services so that they could be broadcast live.
      Walter passed away in 1989 (we miss him). Joan is 78 living with me in a small Arizona mountain community.
      The years I spent at WRKL were formative and I learned so much. I have often played my commenrative LP.. The Impossible Dream. I also have always remembered some of those lessons learned from Al and so many of those pioneers.
      Do whats right ...not popular.
      Work hard for your dream.
      Stand up for the rights you were given in this country (not sit and applaud!)
      Fun to see this site.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)