RETURN TO THE FULL LIST OF POSTINGS  

There are no surviving churches.

November 7 2002 at 11:58 PM
VirtualANI 

Response to Churches in Arapkir

In the "new" town that is, which only dates from the mid-19th century. The ruins of medieval Arapkir (now called Eskisehir) are a few miles away from the current settlement and there may still be the ruins of an Armenian church there.

From memory (I want to stress that!) I think I have read the following information: there were once at least two Armenian churches in Arapkir ("new" Arapkir, that is). The pictures below are from before 1915 and show the biggest church. It could house 3000 people. It was attacked and looted and burnt in 1915. Some of the church treasures were later were sold on to museums and a chalice still exists. After the war the church was repaired and was used as a school. It was demolished in the late 1950s.

Little is left of pre-1915 Arapkir, but there are still some old houses surviving, including some of Armenian origin (they have iron window grills with dates in the Christian calender).

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Arts, Literature and CultureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

HOME PAGE  |  ANASAYFA (turkish homepage)  |  GLOSSARY  |  EMAIL