RETURN TO THE FULL LIST OF POSTINGS  

Yeghrdut monastery

April 4 2012 at 12:41 AM
Andrewcollins 

Hi, I am trying to locate the exact position of a monastery called Yeghrdut or Erghduti that once existed on the southern edge of the plain of Mush, just south of the Eastern Euphrates.

Here is the Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeghrdut_monastery>

The coordinates given in the Wiki entry take you to a hillside without any trace of a building structure or boundary wall.

Take a look: 38.7834°N 41.2590°E

I want to pin down the site better, so have ordered:

Hamazasp Oskean (or Oskian or Voskian), Taron-Turuberani vankere (The
Monasteries of Taron-Turuberan) Vienna: Mekhitarist Press, 1953

This apparently contains more information on the site.

The following Thierry reference also has more information:

Thierry J. M., Eastern Turkey, archeological journey of life, travel diaries "Monument", Yearbook 1, E., 1987.

However, I cannot find this title among his bibliography at:

http://www.acam-france.org/bibliographie/auteur.php?cle=thierry-jeanmichel

Any one out there able to lay their hands on either the Thierry reference or any better information on the monastery?

The Wiki coordinates fall to the west of the modern village of Gudumlu, although this was almost entirely destroyed in 1993, and residents there today are unaware of any nearby monastery ruins. I have tried also at another local village Kizilagac, a little to the east, asking the same question, with the same response. No monastery known nearby, other than the ruins of a so-called "Red Church" (dera sor) somewhere to the east of Kizilagac.

Kizilagac apparently derives its names from Kizilxac, meaning Red Cross, although why no one seems to know. Yet it does appear to suggest the presence of an Armenian church foundation.

An "Armenian" mill and dam exists on the Kizilagac stream a km or so south of the village, and this too is likely to have been connected to a monastery nearby.

Any help appreciated.

Andrew

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Arts, Literature and CultureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

HOME PAGE  |  ANASAYFA (turkish homepage)  |  GLOSSARY  |  EMAIL