RETURN TO THE FULL LIST OF POSTINGS  

Yeghrdut location at Zengok

April 15 2012 at 9:15 PM
Andrew Collins 

Response to NP

Raffi,

Hi, many thanks for the references. Much appreciated.

Dera Sor ("Red Church") is a local Kurdish name for the architectural ruins how being linked with the missing monastery of Yeghrdut. It was a proper toponym associated with the site in the past.

I will continue to look for further confirmation that the two places are one and the same. I say this as I was told by locals in the area that Yeghrdut was located somewhere in the vicinity of Zengok, marked on the map as Yorecik. It apparently overlooked the Aratsani river and was located on its southern shore. Below it was a suspension bridge spanning the width of the river, beyond which, on a hill, was a fortress, presumably that at Ulayu.

Looking at Zengok/Yorecik you can see a large number of ruins around Zengok, some of substantial size. However, I have no further knowledge on what these might represent, whether they be the remains of an Armenian monastery or the destroyed village of Zengok.

If not Yeghrdut, then was another monastery located here also.

I understand there were something like 30 monasteries in all on the plain of Mush, of which very little is known about any of them other than those of Surb Karapet and Surb Arakelots.

Andrew

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Yorecik - VirtualAni on Oct 31, 2015
  •  
Find more forums on Arts, Literature and CultureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

HOME PAGE  |  ANASAYFA (turkish homepage)  |  GLOSSARY  |  EMAIL