RETURN TO THE FULL LIST OF POSTINGS  

Thierry's 'Vaspurakan'

September 2 2015 at 5:37 PM
A.Schauer 

Response to Theirry's Vaspurakan

Hi,

I've got both books and do not regard them to be obscure. Which one helps you more depends on your field of interest. Whereas Thierry's work covers a broader area Cuneo's study focusses on four specific buildings.

Jean-Michel's 'Monuments Armeniens Du Vaspurakan' is in my opinion the essential scholarly work about the entire Vaspurakan region. Its content was first published as a series of articles in the Revue des √Čtudes Armeniennes and eventually consolidated in this monograph. Presently several copies are offered on Abebooks starting at approx. USD 53 (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=thierry&sts=t&tn=vaspurakan ). And yes, it's written in French language.

Cuneo's book is in Italian. As my French is far better than my Italian I can't really judge about its scholarly quality. But as I really like his 2 vol. 'Architettura Armena Dal Quarto Al Diciannovesimo Secolo' as a reference work I also appreciate this more specific book on Armenian basilikas.

I come back to my statement above: the main question basically is about your field of interest. And please keep in mind that both works were written a couple of decades ago, so that a lot of information unfortunately do no longer represent the present state of these monuments.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

A.Schauer

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Arts, Literature and CultureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

HOME PAGE  |  ANASAYFA (turkish homepage)  |  GLOSSARY  |  EMAIL