RETURN TO THE FULL LIST OF POSTINGS  

For the "pagan temple"

September 8 2015 at 4:46 PM
VirtualAni 

Response to Re: Other Books

Maybe you mean the polygonal tower-shaped monument with a stone cupola near the village of Barekamavan in Tavush. It might be a pagan tomb monument that was later converted to a church.

Its "discovery" was announced in one of the Simposio Internazionale di Arte Armena volumes. However, I don't know which one (I have photocopies of the article but, being rushed at the time, I did not note down when copying it from which volume it came from), but it is on pages 225-229 of it. Maybe Mr Schauer can check if it is the volume he has.

I don't have anything from the 1978 first volume in the series though.

There are more recent accounts of this monument in other publications, but I don't keep very up to date with monuments in Armenia and can't off-hand give you the names of the publications. There might be something about it on the RAA website.

Someone needs to scan these obscure 1970s / 1980s symposium books and put them online somewhere - even though they are still in copyright I doubt any of their authors would object.

I also know of no inscriptions ever being found at Varzahan and there are no such photographs in the few published accounts. There probably are unpublished photos around, taken by travellers who just happened to pass by (there was one of Varzahan village on ebay a few years ago), and maybe unpublished photos by Lynch, and there are at least two postcards - but if there exist photos showing inscriptions on the churches, why are these inscriptions not mentioned by Bachmann? Unless they were on gravestones.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Arts, Literature and CultureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

HOME PAGE  |  ANASAYFA (turkish homepage)  |  GLOSSARY  |  EMAIL