RETURN TO THE FULL LIST OF POSTINGS  

Thank you for this news

January 8 2017 at 4:15 PM
VirtualAni 

Response to Book of the "The First International Symposium of ANi - Kars"

I had heard of the symposium but have not yet seen the book (I think it was published in the second half of 2016).

Oktay Belli has made a career out of publishing these hefty "symposium" books - there are a whole series of them on Van, published almost yearly. Their contents consist of articles by various authors on various subjects and range from good to interesting to abysmally bad. Unfortunately, what is universal within the content is an uncritical acceptance of the official line - "restorations" are always good things, no matter how destructive or heavy-handed they might be in reality; history is always a pro-Turkish one; Armenian sites and influences tend to be minimised in importance.

For this volume on Ani, based on the facebook photos, it will be very interesting to see photographs of objects found during the 1990s-to-date excavations, none of which have ever been on public display. However, I'm not optimistic on the accuracy of the book's contents when they have a google earth plan of Ani with "Abugamir kilisesi" marked as being in the citadel!

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Arts, Literature and CultureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

HOME PAGE  |  ANASAYFA (turkish homepage)  |  GLOSSARY  |  EMAIL