<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Message Board  

Snow update

January 7 2010 at 10:42 PM

Thurs 7/1/10

The Blakey Ridge road is currently closed due to heavy snow.

The Lion Inn is now closed for business until the road is re-opened.

If you have paid deposits for accommodation during this period at The Lion Inn, these will be refunded in full.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Paul Crossland
Manager
The Lion Inn

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Phil

Re: Snow update

January 8 2010, 12:08 PM 

Any updates on current conditions?

Respond to this message   
Lion Inn

January 8 2010, 12:28 PM 

11am Fri 8/1/10

Road still blocked, pub still closed.

This morning I followed a snow blower & a Police 4x4 up for a couple of miles from Hutton le Hole, but they were making very slow progress. Just got a call from North Yorkshire Highways to say the wind is due to pick up later today & cause further drifting, so they are not going to attempt to open the road until Monday.

The drifts nearer The Lion Inn are too deep for even a 4x4 to get through.

Paul

Respond to this message   
The Lion Inn

January 9 2010, 1:27 PM 

Update lunchtime Sat 9th Jan.

Snow ploughs got through to The Lion Inn from the North this morning, but the wind was drifting the snow straight back in, so the road remains closed. They will not attempt it again today.

It's frustrating that we are on the boundary of 2 District Councils who operate snow ploughs independantly without speaking to each other about opening up the whole Blakey Ridge road. So when the weather improves it could only be the North or South side of the road that gets opened first.

Last night one person made it to Blakey on a mountain bike (I assume he carried it most of the way) then camped overnight in a tent! Some people have a stange way of enjoying themselves, maybe Bear Grylls was in Yorkshire?

Wrap up!

Paul

Respond to this message   

The man with the bike

January 9 2010, 10:01 PM 

Well done the man on a bike.....I have camped up there in snow...and its very cosy!

Respond to this message   
Davieladd

Weather

January 10 2010, 1:07 PM 

Is there any news on the weather up there?

Respond to this message   
Gary

Weather update

January 10 2010, 2:47 PM 

Road closed not expected to be open until Tuesday

Respond to this message   
The Lion Inn

Re: Weather update

January 10 2010, 4:23 PM 

Finally made it up to The Lion today, had to drive up to Rosedale by 4x4, then walked up the valley side, well actually crawled on my hands and knees a lot of the way, trying not to sink in the drifts. The treck up took over 1 1/2 hours and the weather conditions were some of the worst I've ever seen. Some of the drifts on the road are over 8 feet deep and go on forever.

The drifts at The Lion are up to the upstairs windows and several cars have "disappeared" in the carpark. The winds are gale force and making things even worse.

The snowploughs got within 3 miles to us from the North today, but had to give up due to the snow drifting in behind them. They will attempt again in the morning as they are trying to get 6 stranded customers home from The Lion. The ploughs from the South (Ryedale District Council) gave up days ago.

At least our supplies are well stocked and I'm snowed in with 2 chefs, sirlion steak and a barrel of Old Peculier for tea tonight!

Cheers,

Paul
The Lion Inn

Respond to this message   

Re: Re: Weather!

January 10 2010, 8:49 PM 

I was just wondering what the weather was up on the moors? I live down by Castle Howard and the A64 and its currently raining/sleeting here (20.45 10th Jan). Is it snowing up with you or sleeting as well?

Cheers and hope the road opens up soon for you - I saw two Land Rover Discoveries today trying to smash their way through the snow blockage that Ryedale CC had put up at the south of the ridge!

Respond to this message   

January 11 2010, 5:36 PM 

Still snowing & drifting up here, but an improvement on yesterday. The snowploughs made a lot of progress from Castleton & Farndale today. But I understand the road from Hutton-le-Hole is untouched.

Blakey Ridge road & The Lion Inn remain closed.

Respond to this message   

January 11 2010, 9:41 PM 

A few photos from the past couple of days here:

http://www.lionblakey.co.uk/photossnow.htm#anchor213671

Respond to this message   
Gareth B

Re: Weather

January 12 2010, 12:00 AM 

I came along the road from Hutton le Hole today and there were two tractor loadalls that were making fair progress and had got alot further than when I was up yesterday - they were still going strong gone five when we walked off the moor so they might make it to you!

Respond to this message   
The Lion Inn

January 12 2010, 9:34 AM 

Here's a video of the snow conditions filmed over the last couple of days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnV2Hebt57s

Road update 9am Tues 12/1/10:

The road from Castleton to Blakey was cleared yesterday and the route from Farndale, up Blakey Bank to The Lion Inn was also opened up. The road from Hutton-le-Hole to Blakey is being worked on.

Respond to this message   
Lion Inn

January 12 2010, 1:30 PM 

Please note, although the snow ploughs got through from Castleton, the road is still closed to the public. Continuing snow & wind are making driving very dangerouus and a snow blockade has been built to stop vehicles.

The Lion Inn remains closed to the public, we expect to run out of Calor Gas soon, so we will have no heating or hot water. We do not expect to be open until after the weekend.

Respond to this message   
The Lion Inn

January 13 2010, 11:18 AM 

Update Wed 13th Jan:

Snow ploughs have got through to Blakey from both directions (Castleton & Hutton-le-Hole) but the roads are still closed to the public as they are still not safe and the ploughs are busy working.

The Lion Inn remains closed.

Respond to this message   
Nigel Chapman

Thanks for the hospitality

January 14 2010, 8:45 PM 

Paul

Thank you very much for all the hospitality over the weekend following our unplanned visit( re vehicle problems leaving us stranded).

It was actually a pleasant weekend on reflection and if you can arrange for the weather to close in so we can get the place to ourselves again.......id like to book for Jan next year too!! happy.gif

Seriously though you and the guys were excellent with us, especially considering we had youngs ones and a dog in tow!!

Thankyou again, and see you in a week or so for a more relaxed and planned visit to sample to famous "Blakey Grub and Beer" .....I'll even fill the Coal buckets again if ya like !

I aim to get up and retrieve my Landrover......(made famous in the video)on Fri mate. I understand Henry and the other Snow Plough Trojans have dragged it into the carpark. happy.gif

Kindest regards

Nige Chapman

Respond to this message   
David Kennedy

snow

January 13 2010, 9:33 PM 

Hi Paul

Dave Kennedy from Oz here. Looks amazing, used to be one of my favourite sports trying to get through when the road was blocked.

Respond to this message   
The Lion Inn

Re: snow

January 14 2010, 2:49 PM 

Thurs 14th Jan

Thanks to the gallant efforts of the snow plough men the Blakey Ridge road from Castleton to Hutton-le-Hole is now open to the public, come & have a look at some amazing sights!

The Lion Inn has re-opened for food & drink, we will start B+B accommodation tomorrow (Friday).

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Julie

Hoorah!

January 14 2010, 10:26 PM 

Great ... see you tomorrow happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Snow update
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Message Board