New Page 1

(Please refrain from personal attacks on other posters as well as players, coaches, management, etc....Posts containing racial slurs, foul or defamatory language, or name-calling or criticism of a personal nature will be deleted...Keep your messages hockey related, if you feel you cannot follow these rules then please post elsewhere...Any questions can be directed to the email address at the bottom of the page...Thanks :-) )

Broadcast Links: BCHL Fan Zone

Blog/Webpage Links: Cowichan Valley Capitals Superfan Website * vipersdiehardfan Blog * The Three Vees' * Hammer's Bulldog Blog * Coquitlam Expressions * Grizz Roar Blog * Off The Wahl * Spruce Kings Crusader * Langley Rivermen Junior "A" Hockey Blog * Eagles Insider * The General's Report * Kings of the Castle * Silverbacks Blog * Brian's Banter * Chiefs Central * Hockeytube.net

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

AJHL goalie stripped of NCAA scholarship

July 14 2011 at 3:38 PM
Reggie Dunlop  (Login 18Wheeler)
from IP address 24.108.114.78

Julien LaPlante who played last season for the Bonneyville Pontiacs of the AJHL has been stripped of his scholarship by Div 1 Union College. A few years back LaPlante played 20 minutes in an exhition game for the WHL's Portland Winter Hawks but omitted to tell Union College. Because it appeared to the college that he intentionally mislead the school his scholarship was revoked rather than allowing him to attend as a red shirt for the the 2011/12 season and the Union coach has gone on record as saying that LaPlante will never play for Union College.

Lookin at the world through a windshield.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Reggie Dunlop
(Login 18Wheeler)

2nd chance

July 19 2011, 9:50 AM 

The Providence Friars are saying that Julien LaPlante's 20 minutes of WHL exhibition isn't worth the punishment handed out by Union College. NCAA Div 1 Providence will red shirt LaPlante for this season making him eligible to play the next 3 years.

Respond to this message   
Rosco
(Login chimogolf)

Re: 2nd chance

July 19 2011, 12:18 PM 

Unfortunately Union is absolutely Correct in doing what they did. Do I blame Julien, absolutely not but I do blame the coaches both in his Junior League and the WHL. Bottom line is KNOW THE RULES.

Rosco

Respond to this message   
Larry
(Login Larry02)

Julien Laplante

July 20 2011, 8:38 AM 

Rosco you are exactly right. I feel that EVERY junior hockey coach should be inorming their players of what they can and can not do regarding trying out for a major junior team. I have known a few players that attended a WHL camp and ended up getting put in a position of playing in an exhibition game and losing their NCAA scholarship eligibility. WHL teams are not going to advise you of what you can and can not do. I have also heard of a case where the WHL team advised the NCAA clearing house of a player that signed something with the team at training camop and when the NCAA team tried to clear the player, they found out that the player was involved with a WHL team and his scholarship was denied.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login mumbles1)

Re: Julien Laplante

July 20 2011, 9:16 AM 

It has been talked about that WHL teams will play a player in exibition when they are young for the sole purpose that it will take away NCAA eligibility.

Respond to this message   
Reggie Dunlop
(Login 18Wheeler)

Re: Julien Laplante

July 20 2011, 9:19 AM 

What's wrong with a little personal incentive. Stop putting the blame on others when it is the player or their enabling parent who should be doing the homework on the rules governing eligibility. When I talk with people in the rinks I can't believe just how ignorant most are about the rules set up by the Clearing House. All you have to do is download the 2,000 plus pages, take a week off work and spend 40-50 hours with your lawyer deciphering what it all means. Piece of cake!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login notcertified)

Onus

July 20 2011, 9:59 AM 

Ignorance of the rules is no excuse. Play dumb and you won't play NCAA. Most WHL teams will warn potential players of the risk they take if they suit up. Their name only need to appear on a score sheet and they will lose eligibility so why risk it.

Players/parents should be asking the tough questions if they have any doubt. It's not that difficult!

Respond to this message   

(Login chimogolf)

ELIGIBILITY AND RECRUITING

July 20 2011, 4:31 PM 

I have been doing this gig now for 15 years for the Chiefs, BCHL, Global Sports Camp and now the Rivermen and in those 15 years have been asked many questions by parents and hockey players alike. I have a list of commonly asked questions that I receive about eligibility and recruiting that I give to all parents. If you would like a copy email me privately.

Rosco

Respond to this message   
Reggie Dunlop
(Login 18Wheeler)

Raising the GPA

July 20 2011, 5:05 PM 

In a news release by the NCAA today it was mentioned that the member schools have begun discussing raising the GPA to 2.5 from 2.0 for eligibility to receive athletic scholarships and to guarantee all scholarships be for 4 years as opposed to the present 1 year requirement. Any student athlete whose GPA falls below 2.5 for an academic term will subsequently lose all scholarship money and could be required to reimburse the university for full or partial amounts of any award received in that term.

Respond to this message   

(Login chimogolf)

RAISING THE GPA

July 22 2011, 11:56 AM 

You are not altogether correct Reggie or 18Wheeler. Yes, the NCAA has talked about raising the GPA from 2.5 from 2.0 but only for TRANSFER STUDENTS. So in other words this will only apply for current full time university students who wish to transfer to a member university. Now this is very very early in the process and as a matter of fact it has not yet gone to membership for discussions.

Hope this helps.

Rosco

Respond to this message   
Reggie Dunlop
(Login 18Wheeler)

Re: RAISING THE GPA

July 22 2011, 1:03 PM 

Rosco: Do you think that this is the NCAA's response to the inevitable exodus from teams that are not included in the new Big 10 league or the Super league in the midwest. It will happen you will see the top players from places like St Cloud, Bemidji or Quinnipiac wanting to transfer to Penn St or UND or other teams in these 2 leagues that will be raking in big money for the TV rights to televise their games.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - AJHL goalie stripped of NCAA scholarship
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Junior HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
New Page 1

Any comments/concerns can be sent to pantherfan@shaw.ca

***This fan message board has no affiliation with the BCHL & opinions are of the individual poster and not necessarily shared by the owner...All logos used are from the individual teams' website***