No score for this post
news  (no login)

[linked image] King Argishti I

Turkey opens burial chambers of Urartian King Argishti
World Bulletin
03 January 2011

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_print.php?id=68115
[linked image]
Burial chambers of Urartian King Argishti I and his family in the western wing of the ancient castle in the eastern province of Van was opened for the first time.
[linked image] [linked image]

Anadolu Ajansi (A.A) took photographs and video of the burial chambers which were closed to visitors.

Centered around the Lake Van in the eastern Turkey, the Urartian Kingdom ruled from the mid 9th century BC till its defeat by Media in the early 6th century BC. The most splendid monuments of the Urartian Kingdom take place in Van since the city was the capital of the kingdom.

Built on a rocky peak, the castle, one of the most significant samples of the Urartian architecture, was brought to daylight during excavations headed by lecturer Altan Cilingiroglu of the Ege University. The castle draws hundreds of Turkish and foreign visitors each year.

Argishti I was the sixth known king of the ancient kingdom, reigning from 786 BC to 764 BC. As the son and the successor of Menua, he continued the series of conquests initiated by his predecessors. Victorious against Assyria, he conquered the northern part of Syria and made Urartu the most powerful state in the post-Hittite Near East.

WIKIPEDIA:
Argishti I was the sixth known king of the ancient kingdom of Urartu, reigning from 785 BC to 763 BC. He founded the citadel of Erebuni in 782 BC, which is the present capital of Armenia, Yerevan.
A son and the successor of Menua, he continued the series of conquests initiated by his predecessors. Victorious against Assyria, he conquered the northern part of Syria and made Urartu the most powerful state in the post-Hittite Near East. He also expanded his kingdom north to the Lake Sevan conquering much of Diauehi and the Ararat Valley. Argishtis built the Erebuni Fortress in 782 BC, and the fortress of Argishtikhinili in 776 BC.
Some linguists believe that the name Argitie has Indo-European etymology (Armenian). Compare Armenian "areg" --"sun deity", "sun".
[linked image]
Monument of Argishti on-front of the citadel of Erebuni in Yerevan

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Burial chambers of Armenian king Argishti in Van opened to visitors
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to ArmenianCafe.com  
Find more forums on ArmenianCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
It All Begins Here, Click To Chat With Armenian Girls and Guys