<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Vision statements & Slogans

August 27 2008 at 3:49 PM
Tony Borders 
from IP address

When I mentioned filtering shows, it brought to mind that a person (company, church, school, etc.) often has a vision statement. I would LOVE to hear from each of you as to what your vision statement is for the ventriloquism side of your life. (e.g. "I purpose to make more money than Terry Fator." or "I do ventriloquism in order to teach children about drugs." (Hopefully, that they shouldn't use them.) "I do ventriloquism so my agent doesn't have to turn down the gigs that are too cheap for her other clients."

Seriously, though, if you have a moment stop and consider your vision statement for your ventriloquism. For example, I play guitar because I enjoy it and want to eventually play Christmas songs for people. Easy statement.

Now I have to go and think about why I do ventriloquism. "Gives me an excuse to still play with dolls?"

This message has been edited by axtell from IP address on Jan 10, 2010 7:19 PM

Respond to this message   
Ron Crowley

Doctor my can see for miles!

August 27 2008, 4:24 PM 

Ron "Bern, Mr. Borders would like us to give a vision statement."

Bern "Who's he?"

Ron "Mr. Dowt, you know he's a regionally recognized entertainer. C'mon what's your vision statement?"

Bern "I have such poor vision I can date anybody!"

Ron Seriously, Tony is not fooling around this time. He's trying to be serious so that people can think about what their life's goal should be.

Bern Well I guess my vision in this life is that poor eyes limit your sight and poor vision limits your deeds. That's it Reverend Borders..I'm tired now. I'm going to study the Cemocratic convention and select my favourite thoughts

Montana's Santa

Why I do what I do

August 27 2008, 8:09 PM 

Over the years I've seen children who have no one to talk to -- no one who will listen. As Santa I've always been there for them, letting them know there is at least one person who loves them unconditionally.

In that effort I have discoveed ventriloquism and magic give me a special key to their hearts that other adults can't acheive.

My only goal is to help as many children as I can with love and laughter.

Tony Borders

August 28 2008, 11:17 AM 

I am thinking that I have different visions:

1. To be the best I can be at what I do. (Which is a far cry from being the best overall. I used to think I was the best puppeteer, but when I saw John and Jeanine Bartelt perform I was ready to quit. I spoke to them after the show and told them how much I admired their talent and they encouraged me to stick with it. That was over 20 years ago.)
2. To create lifetime memories for children in the audience.
3. To lead a child into making a positive choice.

So if I put all that together for my vision statement I get, "Tony Borders' Puppets and Magic exists to provide high quality shows about making positive choices, which children will remember for years to come."

Neale Bacon

My Vision or mission statement

August 28 2008, 7:31 PM 

This hangs framed in my office for me to look at every day.

"My purpose is to express my sense of humour, my skill and my pride in being a clean entertainer by making sure my shows are fun for everyone and by doing the best shows I can.

I want to follow in the example of Peter Rolston <my mentor> and create happy memories for a whole new generation.

To that end, I will set aside regular time for practice and development.

I plan to become Vancouver's number one Ventriloquist."

Ron Crowley

No, I don't see it!

August 29 2008, 12:05 PM 

Questions about the missing statements.
First who are/were John & Jeannine Bartelt; and who is Peter Rolston?
Ron Bern, wake up I need your help.
Bern Take it easy on me. The American convention is tiring me.
Ron Forget about it. Bern, you've read the mission you have any questions?
Bern I sure do. if Neale Bacon is going to be the best in Vancouver does that mean he's already beat all rivals in Port Moody, Coquitlam and New Westminster?
Ron Take it easy. If you're so smart what would suggest as a vision for Neale?
Bern Be like a beaver. Don't get stumped; just cut things down to size.
What about a mission statement for Montana?
Bern I don't have a statement, but I have a question which is,if Montana John is already the best vent in Montana which state does he next want to be the best in?
Ron And finally what should Tony Borders attempt to do?
Bern Reverend Borders should try to (without using his awful puns)to change the course of human events through humor and the furthering of humorous thought. This is so that mankind may gain true supremacy over the apes, felines, and hyper-advanced trees.
Ron Bern, have a good ,three day Labour Day weekend.
Bern Thank you. Ron, aren't we lucky to live in a country which recognizes the contributions of women who've had babies. It makes me proud to be a Canadian, eh?

Tony Borders

August 29 2008, 4:12 PM 

John + Jeanine Bartelt were the keepers of the bookstore for Puppeteers of America. They are puppeteers and puppet builders extraordinaire. They see a puppet show as a production with special lights, (in miniature), music, unique puppets, and new script. They live(d) in the south Seattle section of Washington state.

I won't get into the convention arena, and I have no idea who Peter Ralston is. I used to be the best ventriloquist in Vancouver. Vancouver, WA, that is. My goal is not to be better than anyone else. I just want to be better next year than I am this year. I was once introduced as someone with 20 years of experience. I told them afterward that I had one years experience 20 times.

Neale Bacon

August 29 2008, 9:52 PM 

Peter was my mentor, my friend and my teacher. He was also the best children's entertainer I ever knew.

He had a local TV show called Pete's Place that ran from 1963 to 1979. He won an Actra (Canada's answer to the Emmy).

Neale Bacon

Ron - let me explain

August 29 2008, 9:56 PM 

I have already described who Peter Rolston was in another reply.

I don't know if I will ever be the best, but I can say I am the best of Port Coquitlam or New Westminster as there are no vents living there

I was always told when setting goals, how can you hit a target you don't have. That's how I set my goal of wanting to be the best in my area.

Ron Crowley

I'm still smiling

August 30 2008, 2:54 AM 

Good answer. Neale, can you remember a vent act at the Drawbridge..towards the end of the evening performance? I was sitting at the back with one of the door guards(total name blank) and a man came on. I think he was an East Coast surgeon and his vent figure looked like a wraith.
Now Neale, by then we were vent lagged and as we listened to the dialogue we leaned forward and then looked at one another in disbelief. It was the only time at Vent Haven(2 yrs.) that the humour was over the top--(even for me)!
I believe, unless this is a mind mirage, that the figure was a ghoul who liked to visit graveyards to communicate with the interred. Who was that vent...was the routine really as far out as my addled( see Tour Director-summer 2007)mind has conjured up? Also Neale, this week while watching John Hopper's 2008 slide show there was a picture of you and a young man with respective vent figures. I believe his figure is a small lambchops type. The reason I ask is that, in my opinion, this is a a young man who refuses to be placed in the setup-joke mold..and suffers for it. And he's someone whose act I like to watch.
Anyway, best of the Labour day weekend.

Tony Borders

Vents: Tools for comedy

August 30 2008, 6:51 AM 

I once judged a performer who used the vent dummy solely for a serious routine. No comedy was even attempted. It felt very awkward. Imagine flipping to the comedy channel and seeing the real news. No, wait. That might still be funny.

Imagine flipping to the comedy channel and seeing a documentary on the slaughter of baby seals. I think the audience has come to expect a certain thing from ventriloquists and when we stray we risk losing them.

However, SEVERAL people afterward talked about how touched they were by the program of the serious performer. So when we stray from comedy we also may find an appreciative audience.

Once again, I leave you with both sides of the coin. (And now with the U.S. Presidential dollars there is even something on the edge.)

mark t

thanks neal

September 1 2008, 8:52 AM 

neal, thanks for the statement. I knew there was a reason i wanted to talk to you. (we never did make that lunch date) your misson statement is also how you come across to others. its that line about being a clean act.
more power to ya and i need to think about my own misson statement. thanks. mark

Neale Bacon

Thanks Mark

September 3 2008, 8:03 AM 

I appreciate the kind words. I always thought mission statements and the like were just business buzz words until I came up with my own, and now I see how it guides and influences everything I do in my show business career. I try to follow the same "guide" in my everyday as well.

Tony Borders

vision statement

January 7 2010, 5:23 PM 

If you posted a vision statement in the past you may want to review it or revise it for this year. A vision statement is much like a motto to live by for your company. Why do you have that company in the first place?

Over the years I have had some simple mottos for the year, some of which I felt were given to me in prayer.

1. Prepare (I spent that year writing, practicing, and honing my craft. I was a teacher at the time but prepared for puppetry.)

2. Go (I spent 7 years going wherever I was asked for whatever price was offered. I got to see many parts of the USA and of the world. It was like a 7 year all expense paid vacation and I had no home for those 7 years. I was constantly staying with families around the world.)

3. Strive for Completion (Perfection seems so unattainable for me that I am starting this year with the idea of completion. When I start something I want to finish it. Fortunately, I haven't started anything yet. I've even had trouble starting my car.)

P.S. A vision statement is something that would look good on your website so don't come up with, "This company exists to make more money for me and to charge the highest prices people will gullibly pay." Try to think of it as if money were no object and you formed this company for a reason. What is that reason?

Magic Montana Santa

My vision statement

January 7 2010, 5:59 PM 

My right-eye vision is obscured by cataracts and I can't see out of the left... I'm blindly going forth where no vent has stumbled before...

Chris Wintter

My vision

January 7 2010, 6:13 PM 

My vision is to have everyone, young or old, laugh at something I did during a performance.
I truly believe that there is still a kid in everyone. To see a ninety year old smile and laugh just as much as a four year old, gives me great joy.
That is what I want to see.

bob abdou

Holy Vision Statement

January 8 2010, 5:59 PM 

John Lennon told Paul McCartney, I need a swimming pool, let's write a swimming pool.

the explanation of this statement is, when you need money, do something that will bring in the income,

I want a gig that will help me buy the batmobile,

I want the batmobile, you heard it here 2nd,

Tony Borders

January 9 2010, 10:53 PM 

I have been saying that we should have a vision statement and some mottos to live by. Here is a motto, or "slogan" I have created for my school shows from my vision statement. I know the vision statement, but the schools will see the slogan. "Quality shows about positive choices."

It is simple, but states what my shows are all about. Then, of course, there will be further information given, but that is at the top of each webpage and each flyer.

You can probably quote several slogans from over the years...
Burger King, "Have it your way".
Zenith "The quality goes in before the name goes on."
Buzz Lightyear "To infinity and beyond!" (oops! That's a motto.)

Axtell could be, "We see how far we can stretch latex!"

I have a friend whose business card says his name, magician, and "Fun for all ages + occasions." That answers a lot of questions in one simple statement.

Just don't say, "I play with dolls" as your slogan.

Terry Wild

Our Statement

January 10 2010, 2:50 PM 

Here's our Two Bob's worth,
Our vision statement is to to keep improving with positive clean humour, and try to leave people with a good feeling in their spirit.
Best always,

Mr. Jay

January 10 2010, 3:54 PM 

The best way to our heart is through your laughter

a smile is a frown upside down

or use my slogan: No Person Is Too Tall That They Can't Stoop To Help Any Child

Just thought I'd put my two scents in...N Jay

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on RoboticsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
VISIT THE AXTELL CUSTOMER SERVICE PAGE includes customer photographs and the AXTELL Learning Center