AXTELL EXPRESSIONS WEB SITE! .....WWW.AXTELL.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Annoying cough

October 26 2009 at 1:18 PM

from IP address 74.229.139.216

It seems that I have asthma, with the only real symptom being a smokers cough, even though I have never smoked in my life. There are certain triggers that will set it off, like catching a cold, second hand smoke, cleaning chemicals, etc.
I started working at a Haunted House and love working there. The only problem is it set my asthma off, and I have been coughing like crazy. Of course this has to happen in one of the busiest months I have ever had magic/ventriloquism wise. By a miracle I have been able to make it through all of my 20 minute ventriloquist routine without serious coughing, though I can not say the same about the rest of my magic show.
I have been taking medicine, and decided not to work at the Haunted House for over a week to rest, but I still am not 100%.
Does anyone else have this problem, and if you do, what helps?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tony Borders

See a doctor

October 26 2009, 1:48 PM 

For asthma you should see your doctor. He may recommend an inhaler just before the show. If there is a fog machine it is probably what is triggering your reaction. They make my eyes water. There are some new ones that use a light oil base, I believe, but don't quote me on that.

When I have a cough I generally give it to my figure, so if I have to cough he does so. I also suck on a cough drop about 1 minute before and DURING the presentation. Just don't suck it down your throat or coughing will be the least of your problems.

Tony Borders

Vampire

October 26 2009, 4:15 PM 

The people of Transylvania were finally able to track down Dracula and catch him napping in his coffin. They took the usual measures to make sure he was dead, closed the coffin, and put it on the back of a horse drawn buggy. Dracula's castle was at the top of a hill overlooking the town and it was difficult for the horse to pull the heavy coffin in the buggy. The buggy kept pushing against the horse to try to roll down the hill. Finally the horse stepped aside, the buggy tipped over, and the coffin went sliding down the road straight toward town!
At the end of the road there was a drugstore and the coffin hit a rock in the road and sailed through the drugstore window! As it hit the counter the lid flew open and Dracula's body sat up straight! He asked the druggist, "Do you have anything to stop this coffin?"

Chris Wintter

Stop this coffin

October 26 2009, 5:01 PM 

Well Tony-What did the druggist tell him??????

What the doctor ordered

October 26 2009, 7:14 PM 

[linked image]

Magic Santa

Re: Annoying cough

October 27 2009, 6:02 AM 

Smith Brothers Cough Drops -- the only thing to stop a coffin!

Tony Borders

The "other" cough

October 27 2009, 6:26 AM 

I think we're each "barking" up the wrong tree. Coughing as related to asthma is different than a regular cough. It isn't caused by a tickle, but by an insufficient amount of air, right? I encourage you to see your doctor. It's cheaper than losing a week of shows and much safer than taking our advice.

Fog Machine

October 27 2009, 6:51 AM 

Here are more resources on fog machines:

http://www.theatrefx.com/funfacts19.html

Belief #3 -- Fog is dangerous to people who have asthma.

Maybe, possibly and it depends. Heavy use of fog in a poorly ventilated room can be dangerous for anyone, especially the very young, the very old and those who have asthma, severe allergies or other respiratory problems. Anything that reduces the amount of available oxygen in a room can be dangerous, this is why it's important to use common sense when planning a fog effect.

Only use as much fog as is needed to create the desired effect. You should never try to fill an entire room with fog. If you want to create a hazy atmosphere throughout a room (to show off lighting effects in a nightclub, for example) you should purchase or rent a haze machine. The one exception I can think of to this rule is fire companies who use foggers to create simulated smoke for training purposes. In those cases, however, the firefighters wear respirators and emergency medical staff is always on hand.

http://www.amazon.com/Does-juice-make-anyone-cough/forum/Fx2PUJ1X4FKYL02/TxWWENL23UKJKY/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0002DNS4A

http://www.halloween-website.com/fog.htm
If you're anticipating any guests with asthma or breathing problems, fake fog can aggravate the problem. In that case, it's a good idea to play it safe and run the machine outdoors.

Tony Borders

tips?

November 7 2009, 2:50 PM 

Any tips, Chris? Did you find something that works for you?

Chris Wintter

Annoying cough

November 8 2009, 5:05 PM 

I've been to my GP and he put me on a steroid and mucinex DM, and 2 different antibiotics. No help. My allergy doctor,(I get shots), put me on steroids, gave me a breathing treatment and advair, and another inhaler. I saw a little improvement but then developed horseness. I think it is caused by the inhalers. I still have my cough, but I'm losing my horseness.
I tell my audience up front about my cough and that it is caused by allergies. Many people are also having the same problem.
Some kind of way it seems that Taco does not have my cough. WEIRD! I do about a 25 minute routine with him.
It will eventually run its course. Maybe I should start smoking. NOOOOOO!

Tony Borders

Taco

November 8 2009, 5:48 PM 

I'm guessing that taco's voice is at a higher pitch, which requires less air passing over the vocal chords, thus, less irritation on the throats. If you change your own voice to a high pitched falsetto you should be fine as well!

Chris

cough

November 9 2009, 2:10 AM 

Cool idea. Oh, then everyone would say you; "and Taco sound the same." LOL

Current Topic - Annoying cough  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on RoboticsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
VISIT THE AXTELL CUSTOMER SERVICE PAGE includes customer photographs and the AXTELL Learning Center