<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bird Arm Can Modification

January 8 2010 at 12:58 PM
Tom Farrell 
from IP address

I'm doing the Bird Arm Can modification. The can I am trying is 5 inches in diameter.
Is that the right size to use? I don't want to stretch the brass tubing too much, and Vern hardly fits over it.
If someone in the group has done this, I would appreciate some help.

Respond to this message   

Steve Axtell

Bird Arm

January 8 2010, 3:11 PM 

[linked image]
[linked image]

EASY ON - EASY OFF - Normally, to wear the illusion you put your arm into the Bird Arm support, wrap the velcro around your arm and then slip the bird puppet onto your arm and adjust. It takes about 20-30 seconds.
But take a look at this! In order to slip into BOTH the Bird and the Arm in about 2 seconds,mount it all to a can first!

You can also make the Arm and Puppet very easy to slip into by setting it up in the following manner: Mount the Bird Arm to a coffee can (with both ends cut out) or similar rigid tube. After the Velcro has been attached around the can, put the bird puppet on over the can and the Bird Arm strap. Your bird is now one unit with the can and arm. You can slip into the can quite quickly this way.

Tony Borders

January 8 2010, 3:33 PM 

I have tried this in the past with no success. Thank you for mentioning that we should cut BOTH ends out! I will try it again!

Steve Axtell

Cut both ends

January 9 2010, 7:21 AM 

Magic Montana Santa

Re: Bird Arm Can Modification

January 9 2010, 7:31 AM 

Two issues have to be taken into consideration:
1-your arm size -- does your arm fit in the can?
2-Will Vern fit over the can?

You may have to experiment to find the right size can... it took me several tries to get the right one, but it's all good now.

mark t

bird can mod

January 12 2010, 4:00 PM 

i use a 1 lb coffee can. i can fit my arm through, albeit snugly, and vern fits over top, also snugly. i needed it for a quick change during a stage show in 2008. i have kept the rig together as it works very well. i found the 1 lb can was just about the max that vern fits. you can see the rig in action on the ax site under axtrax, "i love christmas".

Steve Axtell

Make your own

January 13 2010, 8:44 PM 

Basically it's just a tube you want.... so if you can't find the perfect can ... you can custom make a tube from a sheet of plastic. Roll it up to the right size and duct tape the seams inside and out.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on RoboticsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
VISIT THE AXTELL CUSTOMER SERVICE PAGE includes customer photographs and the AXTELL Learning Center