AXTELL EXPRESSIONS WEB SITE! .....WWW.AXTELL.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New Scam

June 14 2010 at 7:07 AM
Tony Borders 
from IP address 24.10.12.129

I received a new type of scam today via email. Someone actually used a friend's email address to send me a notice like,

"Help! I'm stuck in London because I lost my wallet and I need money to pay the hotel, etc... Please send money via a telegram or Western Union, to ...

Now they actually used my friend's email BUT the telegram, of course, would go to London and I'd be out my money.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you have some friends that get stuck overseas.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dwayne

Evil never sleeps

June 14 2010, 7:38 AM 

Tony, its crazy that we have to watch out for all of these scams all of the time. Evil never sleeps.

Magical Montana Santa

re: scam

June 14 2010, 8:02 AM 

It started as a phone scam around the end of last year. Sevral senior citizens got calls from -- they thought -- grandchildren who were arrested, abandoned, etc.

Two of them coughed up more than $6,000 each and sent it off... I guess it was just a matter of time before it hit the net.

Tony Borders

Hmmm

June 14 2010, 10:24 PM 

I didn't realize that it actually worked. I've been looking for a part time job.

Tony Borders

Small card charge

September 18 2010, 8:13 AM 

Heard of another scam today which is new to me. Evil-doers will generate "likely" credit card numbers and charge a small fee (example $1) to that number to see if it actually is someone's card number. These small fees are going to show up as a charge from a reputable company such as Amazon, but aren't really from them. Then if the number was real they start charging to it.

David

Re: New Scam

April 23 2011, 7:29 PM 

This sounds like a new form of the "Nigerian 419 scam" There are several varieties of this scam going around, and it very recently happened to me. Fortunately I never sent any money, but this goes to show that you can never really be too careful.

Jim Maurer

April 24 2011, 6:34 PM 

I teach 5th grade and earlier this year I got an email at my school email address that said the mom of one of my students was in that type of situation and needed money. I asked the student and she said her parents weren;t even out of town. A week or 2 later the mom called me and said her emauil account was hacked and I was on there as an outgoing email, so I received the message. Sad world, huh? Clearly these offending individuals did not have enough puppets in their lives growing up.

Tony Borders

Craigslist scam

April 28 2011, 3:52 PM 

Craigslist is a breeding ground for scams. (They say that nearly 100% of the cars listed there are scams.) Essentially, if it has to be shipped or you can't get it in your hands as you pay for it it is a scam.

Well, I saw what I think is a new scam today from Craigslist. I recently sold a guitar through them and I got an email from someone claiming to be the CEO of Craigslist. (Mine was a girl. The sample below is a male.) What is freaky is that they knew my name, which I don't list on my listing. So that makes me think my info there is compromised. Time to clear out!

Anyway, here is a sample from someone else that got the scam email:

Attention C-list User,
My name is Herman Fischer, Chief executive officer of Craigslist. We have recently joined up with Apple company for a one-time promotional event today, we are giving away no cost Apple iPads to randomly selected individuals who have posted an advert on Cl. You have been selected as one of our newest winners for today. We randomly choose numbers to match up with ads on Cl and your ad matched with our latest drawing.

We have partnered up with Apple to advertise their hottest product yet, the Apple iPad. Once again, we are operating this campaign for one-day only. All you need to do is CLICK HERE [scammy URL redacted] to visit our site made for this promotion and type in your email to obtain yours for free. Just make sure you enter your email so we may locate our records to ensure that we have reserved one for you. That is it!

Congrats on winning a free Apple iPad (valued at $800). If you have any question or concerns, feel free to email me back. However, you need to claim your free iPad 1st to ensure one will be reserved for you before the deadline ends. We do understand that you may possibly not receive this email until after the deadline, but, we suggest you check the site and enter your email to see if we still have yours on hold, which we often-times do because others have not claimed theirs in time.

Herman Fischer
CEO, Craig's list

John

re: craigslist scam

April 29 2011, 5:54 PM 

Definitely a European or Nigerian scam -- why? Because the proper English are the only ones who refer to ads as adverts...

Learn more gooder English and protect yourself.

Tony Borders

American English

April 29 2011, 9:18 PM 

Spot on, John! Thanks for the tip on the word advert. You know, we wonder in America what the big tadoo is about the royal wedding. But if one of Obama's daughters had gotten married this week it would have been an even bigger story!

John

re; obama marriage

April 30 2011, 7:34 AM 

especially since they're both in grade school!!!!!

Tony Borders

Caller ID

May 6 2011, 8:01 AM 

Just a note to let you know that frauds can now get a Caller ID to look like a legitimate agency is calling you. Your caller ID may say Citibank and then someone says that your card has been compromised and asks for the information. Never give private info over the phone. Instead you can call the number that is on your actual card and ask if there are any problems.

Tony Borders

More scams

June 18 2011, 7:52 PM 

New scams: (new to me)
People are getting emails from someone pretending to be Netflix. Even looks like Netflix. The emails say that the person's credit card was refused so they ask for private information like your Social Security number and your mother's maiden name! Duh! Bank of America has been hit as well by people stealing something that looks just like their site and says, "your account has been frozen. Please provide..."

I got a call from someone with an East Indian accent. They used a name I had used in a yellow page ad and told me that they had a special rate for renewing my ad, which needed to be renewed. Fortunately, I knew that I had changed that listing over two years ago so they were phishing. I hung up, and I when I did a Google for the phone number I found out who they were.

Later another East Indian accent and yet another scam. I can't remember what this one was about. Hmm. I have nothing against East Indians. I am warning you that there seems to be a new scam generating with people using that accent.

David

June 19 2011, 10:44 AM 

@Tony Borders,

The scam you described involving people using East Indian accents is a new one to me. Thank you so much for the valuable information.

Tony Borders

Yellow Page scam

October 4 2011, 10:23 AM 

I got another call today from "yellow pages". They wanted to renew my ad, they said. But the caller id said "name unavailable". They knew my listing, my address and the number in the ad. They offered a free website listing. But as soon as I said no they hung up. I tried to call the number back and it wasn't available.

It was the East Indian accent that gave it away. Yellow page sales people work on a commission and as far as I know it isn't farmed out overseas. What is the scam? They verify your name and address then ask for a credit card number.

Ed

Same Thing happened to me

October 9 2011, 4:26 AM 

Thanks for posting the info, I had the same thing just happen to me.

I am new here, just starting to try and add vent to I hope a revamped Magic Act. Starting at 65, wee.
I really enjoy your posts, lot of information.

Ed R

Tony Borders

Scamming evangelists

December 5 2011, 9:25 PM 

Assembly of God evangelists have been receiving a request to come and speak in the UK at a church. This is not true and the church isn't sending out the emails. Apparently, the scammers tell you that you'll need a work permit to host the services in the UK and in order for you to do that you'll need to give them your passport number...which they happily offer to take care of for you (under the guise of this very nice church). Therein lies the scam. Once they (the scammers - not the church) have your passport numbers then it's identity theft plan and simple. The church has had about 300 callers so far

Tony Borders

'nother scam

February 8 2012, 6:06 AM 

I got an email today from the "IRS" (Internal Revenue Service) that said that I have a refund of $2500 due to me. The return address even said info@irs.gov. The bottom said copyright Internal Revenue Service.

But I would bet John's life savings that it is a scam. Why?
1. I have never given the IRS my email.
2. The IRS never calls or emails. They work through the post office.
3. The IRS has never willingly offered me money back!

JohnDMagician

It hurts

February 8 2012, 7:03 AM 

This scam has been around about a year. It is usually directed toward relatives -- especially grandparents -- I know of two people who fell for it. One lost $6,000 the other $3,000. There is also a telephone version where a grandparent gets a tearful call from someone claiming to be a grandchild...

Tony Borders

right

February 8 2012, 11:11 AM 

The official IRS site is www.irs.gov. And you can find a local office through that if you have any questions about your past or present tax forms.

The way this probably works is that they tell you that you have a refund coming. And then they ask for your bank account numbers so they can do a direct deposit into your bank account. Instead, they take all the money you have in that account!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on RoboticsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
VISIT THE AXTELL CUSTOMER SERVICE PAGE includes customer photographs and the AXTELL Learning Center