For the past 5 months I have been working on obtaining a building to rent to open up a puppet theater, toy/puppet museum, birthday party room and retail toy store. We have been negotiating with the landlord since december. We finally got a lease to sign but have to decline. WHY?? it's the perfect location, perfect space, perfect venue, everything is perfect except that the landlord wants me to take possession He wants me to take over now and not august 1. I can not, the next 2 months I have over 90 shows to perform and the rent is $2000 a month. My lawyer sez that is business suicide to pay high rent and not even walk into the building. So there you have it, this great idea has come to a halt. Maybe in august? I have other plans that might take priority.
Bob I think if it's right for you, it will still be there in August, and you will have not been manipulated into something unreasonable. Your landlord should be willing to flex with you.... If it's too risky to lose it, what about a counter offering 25% of the rent to hold it for those 2 months?
Re: puppet theater update
May 29 2012, 1:47 PM
Bob... i know what you're going through... let me play devil's advocate for a minute
We passed up the perfect place over a couple months rent and lost it...and i have grown to regret it daily...especially because its the building across the street from our present theater and i see it everytime i walk out our door...lol.... it was 3 times the square footage and only 100 dollars more in rent a month...
We are now in the process of searching for a new place and its such a rollercoaster... i feel your pain!!
May 29 2012, 10:11 PM
Congratulations on the 90 shows! I find a 17 day hole in the middle of those two months. First time in 20 years I've had that large of a gap. I may get to write a book.