AXTELL EXPRESSIONS WEB SITE! .....WWW.AXTELL.COM

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

sock puppet or paper bag puppet idea ...

November 20 2012 at 2:20 PM
Jim Maurer 
from IP address 205.235.52.30

I had this idea ... I love the Fandango commercials with the paper bag puppets. I wondered if Axtell might consider making a more durable latex version. Might be expensive ... maybe just some kind of small face with a rectangular border that could be inserted into any paper bag, where a small hole could be cut. Might bring a lot of personality to an old puppet favorite. The face idea should be pretty reasonable when you think about the small amount of latex.

Or how about an Axtell sock puppet? For centuries people have been putting buttons on socks and making puppets out of them. What if Axtell made a small face (perhaps same mold as my above idea, with no rectangular border) and mounted it on some durable fabric made to look like a traditional sock.

I know Ax gets 100's of ideas for what he "should do". But I think this might be a small risk (mold and product wise) that could turn into a pretty popular addition to a lot of people's shows.

Just trying to help, happy.gif
Jim

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Suzie

Ideas

November 21 2012, 4:22 PM 

What are you trying to do??? Socker...punch Ax! Haahahahaha
Sorry I just had to tease. {:->

Jim

:)

November 22 2012, 3:01 PM 

I can take it Suzie. At least someone responded.

Tony Borders

ideas

November 22 2012, 3:56 PM 

I love the ideas. The "paper" bag could be leather, to give it the look. The sock could still be fabric except for the face. Nice and portable.

Suzie

Customized sock it to you or bag to go

November 22 2012, 4:02 PM 

I bet Ax would customize you a sock or bag. He really seems to be pretty open to request for the un-norm.
Then you could show us the finished puppet. We'd all have to have one. {:->

Jim

thanks

November 23 2012, 1:27 PM 

Thanks Tony & Suzie,
I have always appreciated your insights. Being the maiden custom jobber cums with steep tag ($1500).

I do think it would evd up being a reasonabally priced, and probably very popular puppet.

Jim

Ax

Simple Puppets

November 26 2012, 6:26 AM 

Great ideas Jim! Creative brain constantly bubbling over, I love it! The bag and sock are good simple staples that lend themselves to novelty. . Decorating a bag puppet or sock is meant to be kind of funky and low tech (something anyone can do)..does it need a pre-made professionally designed face to add on? Does it add value to the entertainment? I wonder if there is enough interest for something like this to justify development efforts. This isn't in the standard $1500 non-exclusive puppet category.

We do have something similarly low tech we've been working on (built one about 15 years ago), but no bag or sock involved. We'll keep it in mind Jim and thanks for sharing it.

Ax

Suzie

sock or bag

November 26 2012, 12:53 PM 

I think both are great ideas.
I could have used a quick puppet Sunday morning at church. The fella scheduled to do the Children's Message didn't show. Probably sick or something. He failed to have a replacement lined up.
During the service when it was time for the message, and everyone was just looking at each other.
I jumped up and volunteered. (I've done that before in a pinch.)
I try and always have a story to tell in such times like these. If I would have had a tuck away puppet along, I just might have pulled it out and used it.
I carry my Bible with a Bible carrying case around it. Of course it fits the Bible just right. My case has an additional zipper area that I can open and store pens, paper, or etc. Actually anything that I can squeeze in there.
If a sock / bag puppet would fold down flat enough, by golly I could stick it in there and carry it with me.
I don't carry a purse. I'd just loose that. So it would have to be able to fold small for me.
I guess back pocket size would be cool too. If it would fold down that flat.
Ax, You may get all kinds of ideas off this sock / bag thing.
I came across a pretty good name for it here without trying too.
"Tuck-A-Way Puppet" {:->

Jim

just bag it ... or sock it to me :)

December 1 2012, 7:41 AM 

Ax and Suzie, you both raise great points. I guess my thought on why this would be a fairly simple (but good) idea is that, yes, the sock and paper bag have their own built in novelty as they are just about universally understood. However, from a performer's vantage, the actual manipulation of either is much much less than ideal for mouth movement. And ultimately, the mouth is the heart of the illusion- the mouth. So, to be able to bring out the standard paper bag, and have the audience begin to chuckle politely, but turn him with a much more detailed and appealing face, and have the mouth move as the performer vents in a much less distracting manner than a crinkling bag, I think is gold.

The same goes for the sock. Anyone can slip their hand into a sock and begin manipulating their own hand as a mouth. Howevefr, from the audience, the opening and closing for each syllable is often lost because the mouth is the same color as the rest of the foor of the sock. Where as with the same aforementioned chuckle, the sock turns to reveal a detailed face and clearly defined mouth ... the opportunities for fun are endless. You could put an ordinary sock on the other hand and have them discuss diversity or how we are all different or facelifts, etc.

I honestly don't understand the depths and complexities of development. But I've seen enough goes on ebay who have made their own molds for hard figures that I'm just thinking this mold couldn't be that hard. About the size of a fist ... I'm guessing the talent at Axtell could create one of them before I eat my next meal. happy.gif (please read: compliment)

I would predict similar (perhaps not as much?) enthusiasm as when we at the Convention all saw Mic mouth for the first time. "Whoa! Wow! What's that? I've never seen anything like that before! What an inexpensive idea! I've got to have one!"

Am I out in left field? I don't think so. happy.gif

Jim

Axman

December 15 2012, 3:00 PM 

I wondered what Steve thought of my last post. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on RoboticsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
VISIT THE AXTELL CUSTOMER SERVICE PAGE includes customer photographs and the AXTELL Learning Center