akita1

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Akita - hair/fur loss

May 8 2010 at 9:18 AM
Tony  (no login)

I have a 11 year old male akita. It started to experience hairloss (fur). This is NOT the typical semi-annual shedding of the undercoat. The skin would start to flake and the fur would just fall off leaving a bald dry skin. I continue to give the dog regular baths with moisturizer to in hopes of addressing the dry skin issue. The vet has rulled-out mange and started to treat it as an allergy. I'm concerned, it's been a year now and no sign of progress. Has anyone experienced this with their pet? Is this common to older Akitas? Any suggested remedy?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
CC
(no login)

You should have your Vet check his Thyroid levels...

May 10 2010, 2:03 PM 

LOW thyroid will often cause hair loss.

Respond to this message   

Chrissy
(Login SkylineAkitas)
Forum Owner

HI Tony

May 10 2010, 8:12 PM 

does he have any sores or just the hair loss and flaking skin? It could be allergies but the skin is usually very irritated if its allergies so I like Candi said low thyroid is also possible.

Respond to this message   
Jullie
(no login)

My Akita

March 29 2012, 4:34 PM 

She has red flaky scabs on her back. Her legs and around her but look like dried leather.

Respond to this message   
Kathy
(no login)

Baths and Thyroid

May 17 2010, 4:31 PM 

I have had two Akitas now with thyroid problems and both akitas experienced hair loss. My last akita lost all the hair on her tail and my current female who recently got diagnosed with Hyperthyroid had no issues with hair loss actually till we put her on the thyroid medication and now she is losing the hair on her tail as well.

I would surely get the thyroid tested but it can be an old age thing as well. I would cut back on the baths though because bathing actually contributes to dry skin problems even if your using a moisturizing shampoo.

Big hugs to your keeter:)

Kathy

Respond to this message   
Tony
(no login)

Re: Akita - hair/fur loss

May 17 2010, 7:36 PM 

Thanks everyone for your response. The vet performed thyroid tests and still waiting for the results. I was also forewarned that the dog is old it will limit the effectiveness of thyroid therapy.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement