Return to Index  

5'-5" 152 lbs and 24 years of Active Duty but...

March 21 2012 at 9:10 AM
Kelly Jamison  (Login hellerbust)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 74.195.84.154

Response to Why are Air Force guys....

I do remember in my early years some old crusty Master Sergeants that were huge. Those days are gone. Physical Fitness test are done every 6 months. If you score a 90 or better it is one year between test. Push-ups, sit-ups and 1.5 mile runs based on your age. The 1.5 mile run is usually somewhere between 11 and 14 minutes for most people. There are exceptions both directions. That is just a general guess. You can pass every test but if you don't tape measure around the waist to a predetermined measurement based on height, you can fail the whole thing. 4 failures in a predetermined time and you are out of the Air Force.

This has caused people to take dietary supplements, exlax, dehydrate and starvation diets to meet the standards. We have story after story of guys who ace their PT test but can't put a missile on a rail. One failure for whatever reason can end a fast track career based on outstanding performance in tech schools, off duty community involvement, on duty performance, advanced off duty education, etc. One push-up short, one sit-up short, one bad run from an injury in any number of forced field games or forced group runs and you are done.

Then there is some really stupid regulations. I fell into one of these. I had a PT test due by the end of September but I also had 90 days of leave due to a deployment. So I had to start leave at the beginning of September and try to get it to 60 days by October 1st (fiscal year starts and can't have more than 60 days of leave saved by that date.) So I was going to go overdue for a PT test while on leave. This would generate a referral Enlisted Performance Report for failure to meet PT standards. This would end any chance of me making my next rank. Due to a back injury I cannot do push-ups, sit-ups or run the 1.5 miles so all they can do is weigh me and measure my waist. So I came in, while on leave, in PT gear, shaved and haircut in regs. Stood on a scale and got taped. Got a 100% excellent score and continued on my leave. In 5 minutes I went from a career ending bad report to an excellent with no problems.

Don't even get me started on the AF Form 422 and 469 that have to be filled out and signed by everyone and their grandmother to keep from doing the push-ups, sit-ups and 1.5 mile run. That is a whole new story that takes about two weeks.

You guys on AD know what I am talking about. The big champions of this program are the natural athletes that accelerated in school with whatever their chosen sport is. They don't understand that there is a lot of different people "types" that are not natural runners or fitness nuts. They don't like getting all sweaty. Unfortunately these people are the ones in charge so....everyone runs, does push-ups and sit-ups. Weed out those who don't and save money in the medical area. Except for all the sport related injuries that have skyrocketed and missed days of work.

I am a proponent of looking good and feeling good but not at the expense of the mission. But then again, I retire in 6 months.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters