Return to Index  

My Bad Time At Carolina's Air Museum

May 28 2012 at 1:42 PM

Harley  (Login Hawley)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 75.190.152.5

Carolina's Air Museum needs to work on their PR. Like many, I thought I'd go to see the condition of the B-24 that had the nose gear failure. When I arrived at 12:00 today, I was impressed how much money was spent upscaling the museum since I was last there 15 years ago. Absolutely clean and beautiful. Many of the planes I remember seeing 15 years ago were not there or hidden from view. I was a bit disappointed but there were more that a few great planes to get close to and appreciate. So I went on the tarmac to check out and film the damage B-24's nose. There were about twenty spectators milling around the plane. As I approached the plane a staff woman rounded everyone up and said " Everyone behind the barrier(putting spectators 75 feet away), there's sharp metal there...". What ?! I could also hit my head on the tarmac or walk into a door but either is very unlikely, even for a idiot like me. But that was okay, so I decided to walk up to their beautiful DC-7. My first plane ride was on a UNITED DC-6b way back in 1964. As I got within 50 feet of the plane a staff guy said "I'm sorry sir, you have to get behind the barrier, this woman is with at FAA". ??? Whatever...

The old Carolina's Air Museum was visitor friendly. It made you feel welcome to see and touch these beautiful planes. I know, some of you may blame insurance restrictions as the cause of the hassles. But at $12 a person, that should easily cover any accidental injury.

The bottom line is I did not feel welcome or appreciated for being there on this Memorial Day. I hope the Vets I saw during my visit weren't treated as poorly.

To really appreciate why I'm so pissed off, you had to be there with me. I know there will be a counter attack by those who weren't. Again you should have been there. No one treated like that wants to come back.

Rant Off!

Respond to this message   
Responses

Posting or replying to messages on Plane Talking requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, racially or religiously offensive remarks, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), insulting language and crude metaphors. Please do not use Plane Talking as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any greivance. Plane Talking is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, Plane Talking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters